• Quarles

#48197  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:23 am
FU3 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:49 am
He may end up being a great HC, a role where he was one of the best ever in the HS ranks. What he did not excel at was being a college OC. Furmanoid is right.. lots of really good young OC talent out there in the lower Divisions that would see Furman as a great opportunity to move up.

Yeah, I'm just the other way on this.

Going and getting an up and coming coordinator from the lower ranks sounds good, but it's not that simple. DII has different academic requirements than DI, and certainly different from the players Furman has to target. A lot of coaches at that level win with players Furman couldn't recruit.

I realize there is some uneasiness with the offense, but I like the scheme and if we can ever get some stability at the QB position, I think we'll be pretty good.

With Bratton, you've got a guy that Hendrix clearly trusts. He was one of two coaches retained from Fowler's staff. He's a Furman guy and hall of famer. He has credibility with players, coaches, and alums. He already knows the offensive system. He's already been promoted several times on the staff.

Are there offenses out there that put up more points and yards? Sure. Do I want to run the air raid like Samford - sprinting down the field and snapping the ball every 10 seconds? Absolutely not.
 #48198  by Affirm
FU3 wrote:
He may end up being a great HC, a role where he was one of the best ever in the HS ranks. What he did not excel at was being a college OC. Furmanoid is right.. lots of really good young OC talent out there in the lower Divisions that would see Furman as a great opportunity to move up.
Quarles is a Furman alum.
Played on 1988 Championship team.
Good for him.
Also good for Furman.
Another FU college head coach.
With our luck (good luck or bad luck), he’ll be a great ETSU HC. Hopefully FU will be able to beat them more often than losing to them, but hopefully they’ll beat everyone else they play with him as HC.
 #48201  by FU3
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:40 am
The Jackal wrote:
FU3 wrote:

Going and getting an up and coming coordinator from the lower ranks sounds good, but it's not that simple. DII has different academic requirements than DI, and certainly different from the players Furman has to target. A lot of coaches at that level win with players Furman couldn't recruit.

I realize there is some uneasiness with the offense, but I like the scheme and if we can ever get some stability at the QB position, I think we'll be pretty good.

With Bratton, you've got a guy that Hendrix clearly trusts. He was one of two coaches retained from Fowler's staff. He's a Furman guy and hall of famer. He has credibility with players, coaches, and alums. He already knows the offensive system. He's already been promoted several times on the staff.

Are there offenses out there that put up more points and yards? Sure. Do I want to run the air raid like Samford - sprinting down the field and snapping the ball every 10 seconds? Absolutely not.
Not suggesting that we go out and get an OC that turns us in to Samford but that an infusion of a smart outside OC should be on the table. There are numerous examples of coaches coming from lower Divisions having great success moving up. FU plucked one from the lower ranks who had success here and seems to be doing pretty well at Mercer.
bj93 liked this
 #48203  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:49 am
The Jackal wrote:
FU3 wrote:

Again (and this is happening so frequently now (2x in less than a week) that FUBeAR scheduled a CTE Test next week), FUBeAR agrees with Jackal. :o

That said, FUBeAR would certainly invite the AHC/QBC from Ferris State (not a young guy though) & the HC from Valdosta State (the OC is a guy from WCU’s losing years & seems to be more of a QB Coach w/ an OC title) in for detailed interviews…including completely reviewing their philosophies, strategies, schemes, practice plans, and drills. If you watched the D2 Championship game, you saw an innovative option rushing attack (Coastal/Chadwell-like) from Ferris and VSU is setting all kinds of records on O in a place known for having ridiculous numbers on O.
 #48206  by Furmanoid
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:03 am
I think Jackal may object to bringing in guys who’ve been coaching dumb kids. So what about looking at oc’s from Wheaton (48.2 ppg), U of Chicago (48 ppg) or dumb ol Johns Hopkins (46.5 ppg)? Centre got something like 37 ppg. These are all diii smart kid schools.

I just can’t wrap my head around the idea of complaining (rightly) about a crappy offense for two years and then purposely perpetuating it by promoting from within it.
 #48208  by Davemeister
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:18 am
Since we're brainstorming: why not bring in the former HC from PC to install the No-Punt Offense? We have already signed a Blue Hose QB who knows the system.

Brain -Storm or Brain-Fart?
 #48209  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:28 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:03 am
I think Jackal may object to bringing in guys who’ve been coaching dumb kids. So what about looking at oc’s from Wheaton (48.2 ppg), U of Chicago (48 ppg) or dumb ol Johns Hopkins (46.5 ppg)? Centre got something like 37 ppg. These are all diii smart kid schools.

I just can’t wrap my head around the idea of complaining (rightly) about a crappy offense for two years and then purposely perpetuating it by promoting from within it.

You realize that comparing DII Valdosta State with DIII Johns Hopkins is apples and oranges, right?

I don't have any issue with looking at lower division coaches. I just don't see the benefit of going and getting a guy from Kumquat State with no ties to the area or experience coaching at a private institution over the dude that's already on the staff.
Last edited by The Jackal on Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #48210  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:29 am
Davemeister wrote:
Since we're brainstorming: why not bring in the former HC from PC to install the No-Punt Offense? We have already signed a Blue Hose QB who knows the system.

You mean the dude that went 2-9 and left the program after one year?

No thanks.
Roundball liked this
 #48211  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:31 am
FU3 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:40 am
The Jackal wrote:
FU3 wrote:

Not suggesting that we go out and get an OC that turns us in to Samford but that an infusion of a smart outside OC should be on the table. There are numerous examples of coaches coming from lower Divisions having great success moving up. FU plucked one from the lower ranks who had success here and seems to be doing pretty well at Mercer.

Cronic had Furman ties and came from a private school in Furman's recruiting area.

He also left after one year.
 #48212  by bj93
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:37 am
It won't be the HC from Valdosta, he's been announced as HC at McNeese St.
 #48213  by Roundball
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:39 am
Davemeister wrote:

No, no, no. That guy is a joke.
 #48215  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:47 am
I just think we make too much of "creative" offensive minds and lose context.

In 2017 Bratton was on Drew Cronic's staff. Furman averaged 33 points a game

In 2018 Bratton was on George Quarles staff. Furman averaged 27 points per game. Good, not great.

In 2019 Furman averaged 34 points a game.

In 2020 Furman dropped to 21 points per game playing, essentially, with one QB.

In 2021 Furman averaged 25 points per game mostly starting a freshman.

In my view, if you are just going to dock Bratton for the weaker performances in 2020 and 2021 under Quarles, you also have to recognize that he was part of strong offenses in 2017-2019 under Cronic and Quarles.

What's the difference? Perhaps Furman had veteran QBs in 2017 and 2018 and was reliant on 1 scholarship player in 2020 and a freshman in 2021. Is that Bratton's fault?

Look at Bobby Lamb. His offense was terrible in 2003. Ingle Martin arrived and we had one of the nation's elite offenses in 2004 and 2005.

Did Lamb become a better offensive mind in the summer of 2004? No. He got a quarterback to play along side the same players.
FUpaladin08, HammerTKE liked this
 #48216  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:53 am
bj93 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:37 am
It won't be the HC from Valdosta, he's been announced as HC at McNeese St.
There are a couple of DII schools, like Valdosta State and LR, that are pretty frequent revolving doors for coaching trying to quickly climb the ladder.

The number of "name" coaches that have come through the Valdosta State program is pretty impressive - Hal Mumme, Chris Hatcher, Mike Leach, Dana Holgorson, Will Muschamp, Kirby Smart, Kerwin Bell
 #48217  by apaladin
 Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:05 am
FU3 wrote:
….but are any FU graduates. Isn’t that a requirement?

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.