• On To WCU-THE BATTLE FOR 5th PLACE

#45706  by gofurman
 Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:26 pm
The more I look the more I am impressed with the offense that is developing at WCU. Especially the passing O !!

What I see as an overview -

*At UTC a month ago they lost 45-17. We lost 3-13. Obviously we have a much better D at FU and they have more O at WEstern.
The kicker is passing game at WCU. Furman gained a paltry 150 yards at UTC while UTC gained 277 - a statistically significant difference. Western was moving the ball almost exclusively through the air with 230 of the 270 yards coming via the pass. As a matter of fact they ran for a horrid 46 yards on 25 attempts or under 2 yds per carry

*Vs Mercer, WCU lost 24-34 which I see as a very respectable score.. esp for a first year set up !! Heck, it was tied in the 4th Q. That's a lot more than Furman can say. It just seemed we were never going to threaten Mercer... WCU had the same number of yds as Mercer too. They both posted roughly 339 yds. Mercer was able to run on Western for 200+ and Western again made their mark in the air for 200+.. Mercer threw for 110 and Western ran for 110 ... basically mirror images of each other.

*vs Citadel , WCU won 45-31. We won 24-14. We, again, had better defense and Western had far more offense.. Western had 577 yards offense and Citadel had 377. Despite facing a time-consuming triple option WCU almost hit 600 yards!! WCU passed for 400 yards on Citadel on 31-40 passing. We would not be able to do that.

* v Woff , WCU won by 20 as did we. Essentially same scores. WCU out gained Woff 460 to 330. 330 of WCU yards were through the air. Encouraging for us is that Woff gained 300 on the ground at over 5 ypcarry

Summary WCU has a much better O. I didn’t realize it was so heavily via the pass. That’s not the matchup I want. Rather face a runnin team like Woff or Citadel. 3rd and long (pass) has been our one small weakness on D. The other matchup is definitely in our favor. They allow most teams to rush the ball some. That could really help us
Last edited by gofurman on Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:04 am, edited 7 times in total.
 #45709  by wcugrad95
 Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:43 pm
As much as I hate to agree with FUBeAR on just about anything, I do agree with at least most of the premise with his take on WCU's early season. I would point out that Wells did have some impressive stats (in terms of yardage and TDs accounted for) in several of those losses. It was the turnovers that were killing us. I'd partly agree that was due to Wells needing to adjust to D1 vs D2 competition, but I think some of the INTs were also due to the rest of the offense not understanding the system and more times than not a WR tipped passes or ran the wrong route/made the incorrect adjustment.

I also agree that Carlos Davis can be a headache as he matriculates going forward. I hope we keep him for another 2 or 3 years. The 2 RBs and the crazy-good WR (Williams) are also all transfers, so it took a little time but the coaches and the kids they brought in are making a difference. Williams is a RS FR and I expect him to be good as long as he is playing. From a WCU view, he seems a little like a Terryon Robinson who runs good routes and has great hands, but Williams is more explosive and seems to have a nose for the end zone.

As for what the Bells will do in terms of decisions and adjustments, I totally agree they will put who they feel is the best guy on the field for us to have a chance to win, and unlike our last staff they will quickly put the next guy in when needed. Hard to tell by our 2-6 record, but this staff is not giving lip service when they say they want to win - they are all-in on changing the culture at Western.
Last edited by wcugrad95 on Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #45715  by MNORM
 Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:07 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:16 pm
Defensively, go to work.

Offensively, lets see some identity.

With four games left, I'd like to see some of these freshmen get some reps. I'd love to see some of these young RBs and WRs get a shot. I think we have a few big TEs that I'd love to see get some reps.
After last Saturday that ship has sailed.
gofurman liked this
 #45720  by The Jackal
 Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:36 am
MNORM wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:07 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:16 pm
Defensively, go to work.

Offensively, lets see some identity.

With four games left, I'd like to see some of these freshmen get some reps. I'd love to see some of these young RBs and WRs get a shot. I think we have a few big TEs that I'd love to see get some reps.
After last Saturday that ship has sailed.
Three games.

I suppose there's a small but statistically possible that 7-4 could get one in the playoffs. 7-4 teams seem to make it every year. Furman, though, hasn't spent much, if any, time in the top 25 and just lost their two best shots at getting a notable win.

That said, I'm not holding my breath.
 #45739  by Flagman
 Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:15 pm
If we have improved offensive execution, we’ll go 7-4. With little or no improvement, we could end up 4-7. Wasn’t gofurman the one who was afraid of an improving Western Carolina team after they bet the hapless bellhops?
 #45775  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:20 am
Looks like the weather will be better in the whee than here in Greenville. Temp about the same and no wind in the mountains. Windy in Gvl.
 #45777  by dornb
 Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:14 pm
Hunter Reid just said on the pregame radio broadcast that Hamp is starting today, Evan Jumper is back, and Devin Wynn is still out.
 #45778  by dornb
 Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:16 pm
Hunter Reid just said on the pregame radio broadcast that Hamp is starting today, Evan Jumper is back, and Devin Wynn is still out.
 #45782  by Sad Din
 Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:10 pm
oh my... if it was not so sad, its laughable

now next series will be 3 runs up the middle for no gain
Last edited by Sad Din on Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.