• SoCon Football Realignment

#45359  by Sad Din
 Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:48 pm
How about a different strategy? Dins follow JMU into FBS. The way things are going, the FUture of FCS is really in question IMHO. It worked out pretty well for App St
apaladin liked this
 #45361  by tya1
 Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:08 pm
Those rumors are certainly flying on the CAA board, especially with JMU about to move. They had previously been speculating about trying to add some SoCon schools.

The idea of all those former SoCon schools returning is kind of funny. In particular Charleston and Elon, whose fans were so happy when they left.
 #45364  by youwouldno
 Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:35 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:48 pm
How about a different strategy? Dins follow JMU into FBS. The way things are going, the FUture of FCS is really in question IMHO. It worked out pretty well for App St

The questions around college football go way beyond just FCS. A lot of the turmoil right now is at the mid-major FBS level, and a lot of it has to do with how post-season college football will be monetized in the future. This is a super complicated issue with a lot of different stakeholders involved. There's no guarantee the existing FBS/FCS structure will even continue past the near-term.

In any case, the SoCon is obviously not going FBS under the current system, as most of the programs would flunk the requirements and none have the resources.

Because football is so central to the finances of college athletics, it could even take down the entire current system across all sports. Who knows. The NCAA itself owes 99% of its financial power to the men's basketball tournament, which is something that the power conferences are increasingly questioning. Without that, the NCAA is literally nothing.

There is not much the SoCon can do to get in front of a situation that involves extreme uncertainty and a complete lack of influence on the part of the conference and its institutions.
 #45366  by Furmanoid
 Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:29 pm
We could drop to DII do the 35 scholarships, do another 40 quasi scolarships through phony NIL deals and have a DYNASTY.
 #45367  by apaladin
 Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:59 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:29 pm
We could drop to DII do the 35 scholarships, do another 40 quasi scolarships through phony NIL deals and have a DYNASTY.
I knew this was coming. 😳🤣
 #45369  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:52 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:50 am
If someone from the CAA calls Jason Donnelly, and he picks up the phone to have a general conversation, would that mean Furman was exploring leaving the SoCon?

I guess you could say that claim wouldn't be "fabricated" since it's loosely based on a real event. But the bottom line is, there is no real indication that SoCon membership could change under the current circumstances.

If a bunch of wacky stuff happens in other conferences, certainly the picture could change.
You're moving goal posts.

You said it's a random guy. You have no idea. Maybe it's true. Maybe it isn't. I'm just posting it for discussion. I didn't bet my house on it being true.
 #45370  by youwouldno
 Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:30 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:52 pm
You're moving goal posts.

You said it's a random guy. You have no idea. Maybe it's true. Maybe it isn't. I'm just posting it for discussion. I didn't bet my house on it being true.

I'm sorry that the word "random" was so upsetting. To restate my comment in non-colloquial form - the expansion in question is an internet rumor with no factual support. That wasn't entirely clear to me when I first read the OP.
 #45371  by FUpaladin08
 Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:24 pm
I’m all for CofC to bolster the bball side of things. The goal of the SoCon should be to get an at large tourney bid and CofC helps. The same should be true of Fball. The SoCon has struggled to have more than one relevant team in then playoffs since App and GSU left. If adding any of these schools help I’m all for it.
Roundball, FU69 liked this
 #45372  by Sad Din
 Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:02 pm
Following the departures to the Sun Belt and the planned moves of six other schools to the American Athletic Conference, Conference USA will be left with only five members: Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Florida International, UTEP and Louisiana Tech. Conference USA commissioner Judy MacLeod has said the league is pursuing new members, including FCS schools that are considering making the move to FBS.

Last one to act will be left holding the bag. IMHO ETSU and Chatty will jump eventually and UNCG wont be too far behind. Given a good deal, beleive CIT will too.

SoCon will have to scoop up the BIg South schools. Its a tough situation for sure
 #45373  by Thorny
 Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:34 pm
Sad Din wrote:Following the departures to the Sun Belt and the planned moves of six other schools to the American Athletic Conference, Conference USA will be left with only five members: Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Florida International, UTEP and Louisiana Tech. Conference USA commissioner Judy MacLeod has said the league is pursuing new members, including FCS schools that are considering making the move to FBS.

Last one to act will be left holding the bag. IMHO ETSU and Chatty will jump eventually and UNCG wont be too far behind. Given a good deal, beleive CIT will too.

SoCon will have to scoop up the BIg South schools. Its a tough situation for sure
I think Furman, despite the not being able to get anywhere close to filling our stadium, is leading the SoCon in game attendance.

So let's say we should be at the front of the line of University's in the conference to make the jump as we lead attendance, have the most history, have arguably the most active fan base, are the most invested in the football program, etc...I'm sorry no one on here seriously thinks we should make the jump...and I'm having trouble thinking Chat and ETSU are at all positioned to make the jump even if they would like to. UNCG doesn't even have a football team.

I want W&M, Richmond, Elon, and CoC in the conference because I want Furman to play them and view them as our peers. K..simple as that.
Roundball liked this
 #45374  by FUBeAR
 Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:29 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
I’m all for CofC to bolster the bball side of things. The goal of the SoCon should be to get an at large tourney bid and CofC helps. The same should be true of Fball. The SoCon has struggled to have more than one relevant team in then playoffs since App and GSU left. If adding any of these schools help I’m all for it.
No idea what “relevant team” in the playoffs means. If they make the Playoffs, they are a “relevant” Team.

SoCon has avg’d 1.33 At Large Playoff bids in the 24 Team Playoff Field since GaSou & Appy departed, including 4 in 2016…and getting completely hosed out of 3 in 2018.

Most peeps are acknowledging that the SoCon will have 2 this year with possibilities of 3…even 4 (FUBeAR says NFW to 4…5 worthy Teams, but only 2 or, maybe, 3 will get the call).

The only time the SoCon has failed to get at least 1 At-large bid in a 24 Team field was 2014…the year after the GaSou/Appy exit. Samford & WCU may have deserved bids that year, but perception, due to the departures & perceived weakness of new SoCon Teams, hurt their ’cases.’ With those not-so-new-now Teams winning/challenging for SoCon Championships and doing some good things OOC, that perception has subsided. Overall, top-to-bottom strength, is now reluctantly recognized, but we will need some strong SoCon Playoff (overcoming the stacked decks) performances to get to an expectation of being a 3 or 4 bid league.

Richmond & W&M…and NC A&T would help. Everyone recognizes E*Loan for the ‘posers’ they are.
 #45375  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:14 am
We need SoCon teams to win playoff games. It’s that simple. It helps Furman. And with citadel not being in playoffs I have an easier time pulling for it. ETSU. CHATT. FINE. Win a game or three! Let’s reestablish the SoCon perception. I’ll be interested to see how SoCon does this year
Roundball liked this
 #45377  by Affirm
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:51 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:29 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
No idea what “relevant team” in the playoffs means. If they make the Playoffs, they are a “relevant” Team.

SoCon has avg’d 1.33 At Large Playoff bids in the 24 Team Playoff Field since GaSou & Appy departed, including 4 in 2016…and getting completely hosed out of 3 in 2018.

Most peeps are acknowledging that the SoCon will have 2 this year with possibilities of 3…even 4 (FUBeAR says NFW to 4…5 worthy Teams, but only 2 or, maybe, 3 will get the call).

The only time the SoCon has failed to get at least 1 At-large bid in a 24 Team field was 2014…the year after the GaSou/Appy exit. Samford & WCU may have deserved bids that year, but perception, due to the departures & perceived weakness of new SoCon Teams, hurt their ’cases.’ With those not-so-new-now Teams winning/challenging for SoCon Championships and doing some good things OOC, that perception has subsided. Overall, top-to-bottom strength, is now reluctantly recognized, but we will need some strong SoCon Playoff (overcoming the stacked decks) performances to get to an expectation of being a 3 or 4 bid league.

Richmond & W&M…and NC A&T would help. Everyone recognizes E*Loan for the ‘posers’ they are.
Curious to know reasons for continuous disparagement of Elon. Is it mainly because they have so many students from NY NJ MA, and relatively few from NC?
Is it because they departed the SoCon so fast?
Is it because their academic and athletic renown seemingly increased so much over such a small time frame?
Is it their seemingly fortuitous location in the midst of the NC “big 4” and between the Triangle and the Triad?
None of the above?
What are the “reasons”?
furpop16 liked this
 #45378  by Davemeister
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:24 am
Thorny wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:34 pm
I want W&M, Richmond, Elon, and CoC in the conference because I want Furman to play them and view them as our peers. K..simple as that.

These schools do not have to be in the Conference for Furman to play them. Why should we view any school that doesn't play FB as our peer?
apaladin liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.