• What would you like to see at WC?

#44175  by AstroDin
 Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:39 am
It never fails as fans we always pine for the backup QB.
My big question and I guess what I want to see — Furman comes out fast on offense and scores a touchdown.
The Dins had a great opening drive until a penalty wiped out a touchdown.

I would love to see Jace get a series or two in the first half. Against Mercer he quickly caused the Bears defense to adjust.
Wilson is very twitchy and shifty as a runner. He also sees the field very well. Yes, he's a freshman—but not a typical one.

Jace is a coach's kid, and I believe he's started since his Sophomore year. I hope we can mix it up and keep Wofford off balance on D.

#44177  by JohnKX512
 Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:47 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:29 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:48 pm
Sustained scoring drives. Just show consistency.

And a band. With that being said, I have never been to a game in Spartanburg. What is half time like and how do you get in and out of the stadium?
The times I’ve bern there they either had a high school band or nothing, Don’t know what you mean “how do you get in out of the stadium.” Walk through a gate. 😳If you’re talking traffic, don’t worry about it, there won’t be any. 😀 Doubt there wil be 5k peeps.
I was more wondering about having to take my medicine if we are down by 14 at half. Is it accessible to leave the stadium to the car and back?

I will have kids in tow and sitting on the hill with some "spartanburg friends"
 #44178  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:08 am
I do not think it is so much pining for the backup.

I think at this stage, we have a pretty good idea of what Sisson gives us. He's started 13 games. Furman has averaged 21.5 ppg in those 13 games. He's had good games and less-than good games, but that's the average.

In those 13 games, Furman has been held under 20 points 8 times. They were held under 14 points 6 times. You aren't going to win many football games doing that.

For comparison's sake, if those 13 games were in a single season, 21.5 ppg would put our offense 7th in the SoCon in 2021, 5th in 2020, 8th in 2019, and 9th in 2018. You get the idea. It's among the weakest offensive output across a number of years.

The ppg average is skewed a bit with three monster games with Sisson as the starter. We scored 60 on VMI in 2019, a team that was surrendering close to 40 points a game. We also had a big day against woefully bad WCU (35) last spring and then an OT win against Samford (44). Basically, we put up a bunch of points in games against bad defenses.

At bottom, the offense isn't getting it done. I think we all could sort of explain away "growth" two years ago as a young term learned under a new coaching staff. At this point, though, we should be seeing results.

Yes, we're moving the ball some, but we don't get points for moving between the 20s. We get points for putting the ball in the end zone. Whomever gives us the best chance to do that needs to be the one taking the snaps.
bj93, FU3, fupaladin01 liked this
 #44179  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:37 am
JohnKX512 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:47 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:29 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:48 pm
Sustained scoring drives. Just show consistency.

And a band. With that being said, I have never been to a game in Spartanburg. What is half time like and how do you get in and out of the stadium?
The times I’ve bern there they either had a high school band or nothing, Don’t know what you mean “how do you get in out of the stadium.” Walk through a gate. 😳If you’re talking traffic, don’t worry about it, there won’t be any. 😀 Doubt there wil be 5k peeps.
I was more wondering about having to take my medicine if we are down by 14 at half. Is it accessible to leave the stadium to the car and back?

I will have kids in tow and sitting on the hill with some "spartanburg friends"
Most likely - in the past, passing in & out of the Visitors Side gate was a breeze. I’ve heard it’s also pretty easy to get to your car/cooler and bring back in as many beers as you can carry.
 #44180  by apaladin
 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:08 pm
Agree with Astro and Jackel. I said before that I believe that HS has reached his pinnacle and I think the chances of him getting worse are higher than him getting better. With that said CCH loves HS. He said he is older, wiser, stronger, bigger and better. With that said we all know HS will start on Saturday and we will see the same stuff we have seen all year. Will JW see the field? Prolly but prolly when its too late. To be honest JW is prolly not ready but you got to start somewhere and like CCH said doing the same thing and expecting different results is crazy.
 #44181  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:15 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:08 pm
Agree with Astro and Jackel. I said before that I believe that HS has reached his pinnacle and I think the chances of him getting worse are higher than him getting better. With that said CCH loves HS. He said he is older, wiser, stronger, bigger and better. With that said we all know HS will start on Saturday and we will see the same stuff we have seen all year. Will JW see the field? Prolly but prolly when its too late. To be honest JW is prolly not ready but you got to start somewhere and like CCH said doing the same thing and expecting different results is crazy.
I think Sisson is probably our best option right now.

Personal opinion - if Furman wants to go with Sisson, they need to highlight what he does well. I think we need to get our big backs running down hill. Get a hat on a hat. Hit someone.

Running three steps and pitching it to the running back isn't going to work. Read option without a QB you are going to let run isn't going to work. You aren't forcing defenses to defend the field. You are letting them eliminate things they know you aren't going to do.

If you want to run the offense we are currently running, then Wilson may be the better option. He's demonstrated an ability to get outside with his feet and can punish defenses for overcommitting to our running backs.

I remember having a similar criticism of the team when Hannon/Blazejowski was the QB controversy. Our coaching staff wanted to play Hannon, but in my opinion, they were trying to run an offense suited for Blazejowski. Fit the offense to the player, not the other way around.
 #44188  by gofurman
 Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:17 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:08 am
I do not think it is so much pining for the backup.

I think at this stage, we have a pretty good idea of what Sisson gives us. He's started 13 games. Furman has averaged 21.5 ppg in those 13 games. He's had good games and less-than good games, but that's the average.

In those 13 games, Furman has been held under 20 points 8 times. They were held under 14 points 6 times. You aren't going to win many football games doing that.

For comparison's sake, if those 13 games were in a single season, 21.5 ppg would put our offense 7th in the SoCon in 2021, 5th in 2020, 8th in 2019, and 9th in 2018. You get the idea. It's among the weakest offensive output across a number of years.

(AND ). The ppg average is skewed a bit with three monster games with Sisson as the starter. We scored 60 on VMI in 2019, a team that was surrendering close to 40 points a game. We also had a big day against woefully bad WCU (35) last spring and then an OT win against Samford (44). Basically, we put up a bunch of points in games against bad defenses.

At bottom, the offense isn't getting it done.
I think we all could sort of explain away "growth" two years ago as a young term learned under a new coaching staff. At this point, though, we should be seeing results.

Yes, we're moving the ball some, but we don't get points for moving between the 20s. We get points for putting the ball in the end zone. Whomever gives us the best chance to do that needs to be the one taking the snaps.
LOVE THIS POST.
 #44191  by AstroDin
 Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:11 am
I also want to see something positive concerning this quote from CCH?
"We’ve certainly addressed some things we need to do to get better. That’s our focus.”
FU69 liked this
 #44192  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:56 am
Look, we already know what Wofford is going to do. They are a home underdog. Their defensive strategy is going to be "anyone but Devin Wynn." They are absolutely going to force Furman to throw the football.

The concern I have at QB is, to this point, we've really only demonstrated a consistent ability to throw slants and crossing routes. That's fine, but it's not going to get it done. We've shown virtually no ability to hit on passes downfield (most of our long passing plays have been short throws) and, frankly, defenses aren't concerned with that part of the offense.

Watch what Mercer did to us. Before they went into a softer zone later in the game, Mercer routinely stuck their best CB (McKee) right on Josh Harris (our big play WR). He was right in his face. Cronic signaled to Furman : "we think our best CB can take away your best WR."

See it here:

and here:

and here:

(I don't know if the CB was McKee every time, but it was probably most of the time).

You get the idea. There are more, but I can only post three. If you pull up the twitter videos, you can usually find Harris and then a Mercer defensive back three feet in front of him.

Mercer forced Harris outside. They largely tried to force him up and out. We have been very inconsistent in hitting passes downfield or outside the numbers this season. Mercer was essentially funneling Harris to areas of the field where they knew we were unlikely to get him the ball.

So what result? If you can take away 1 WR with 1 DB, and with no real concern of a deep ball, you can leave 10 defenders (to include the extra safety) to clog the middle of the field, which is the only part of the field where we consistently show we can throw it. It's going to be hard to run the ball or throw it into that. Too many defenders in too small of a space.
 #44193  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:02 am
You may also ask, but what about the A&T game?

In my view, A&T did the exact thing on defense we expected them to, and it played right into Furman's strength in the passing game.

The Aggie defense has for years been aggressive against the run, but not stellar against the pass. One of the reasons is that their linebackers aggressively play the backfield and suck up against the run. The way to counter that is to do exactly what Furman did all after noon - dump the ball off behind the linebackers. The RPO game worked well as it got their linebackers out of position against the passing game.

That sort of offensive strategy is going to work well against the more aggressive defenses, like Citadel, who throw bodies into the backfield. It's not going to work as well against teams that play a softer zone look. Against those teams, we're going to have to hit throws outside, which has been a weakness of ours for a few years now.
 #44194  by FUBeAR
 Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:55 am
CB’s usually play Inside leverage - Sidelines are the 12th & 13th man for the D. Gotta be able to take the top off to open up the middle.

Beige DB’s should get called for PI on almost every ball, but they rarely do…been that way for years.

Gonna need to attack them with multiple weapons in multiple sectors. Must beat their front 7 and make sure they can’t make that a Front 9. They don’t really fast-flow, so mis-direction is not overly effective. Just gotta beat ‘em mano a mano & force 2nd & 3rd levels to male decisions where they cain’t be right …which means QB must be run threat and/or RPO with more than IZ vs. Slant choices.
 #44195  by Flagman
 Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:56 am
Their ticket re-seller says they have only 24 tickets left.
 #44196  by FUBeAR
 Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:58 am
Flagman wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:56 am
Their ticket re-seller says they have only 24 tickets left.
Lies or Woffy math
Flagman, FU69 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.