• 2018 Recruiting

#1593  by AstroDin
 Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:55 am
dhgolfer wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:47 am
Also getting Hamp Sisson from Ala. how many QBs were signed?
Two are on scholarship… Sisson and Granger. The other quarterbacks listed in this thread are walk-ons, preferred walk-ons, academic, etc… Clay and staff - have already shown they will not hesitate to put players into a new role. Avery and DeLuca are recent examples.

Grant Saylor is a dual-threat QB with big numbers - 3,103 passing yards -32 TDS -238 rushing 5TDS.
Chase Absnier was 7AAAA O Player of the Year - 1729 passing 12 TDS - 952 rushing 16 TDS.

Who knows what the coaches will do with these guys - Ryan DeLuca is a perfect example of a player us the fans - knew little about.
 #1594  by The Jackal
 Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:02 am
I look at it this way.

For many high school programs, the QB is going to be your best athlete. They play QB not because they are necessarily tailored to the position, but because they are often the team's best player and will touch the ball every snap. At the college level, these guys can often move around a bit because their value is in athleticism, not their giftedness for a single position.

Finding diamonds in the rough in guys that may have been overlooked in recruiting is the mark of a good program.
Jasper, Paladin82 liked this
 #1597  by AstroDin
 Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:08 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:02 am
I look at it this way.

For many high school programs, the QB is going to be your best athlete. They play QB not because they are necessarily tailored to the position, but because they are often the team's best player and will touch the ball every snap. At the college level, these guys can often move around a bit because their value is in athleticism, not their giftedness for a single position.

Finding diamonds in the rough in guys that may have been overlooked in recruiting is the mark of a good program.
and they continue to develop… Avery Armstrong is now listed as 6-1 190. I thought Armstrong looked really good in the spring, he was actually making many plays, not just playing a decoy.
 #1609  by JohnW
 Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:49 pm
Carson Maples, 6-0 225 LB/RB, from Air Force (Prep I think) has 'Furman Football Transfer Commit' in his twitter header. His name is familiar and I believe Furman recruited him last year. Also I think I looked at him earlier this year when trying to identify the player that turned out to be Cooper Hardin.
AstroDin liked this
 #1618  by AstroDin
 Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:08 pm
JohnW wrote:
Carson Maples, 6-0 225 LB/RB, from Air Force (Prep I think) has 'Furman Football Transfer Commit' in his twitter header. His name is familiar and I believe Furman recruited him last year. Also I think I looked at him earlier this year when trying to identify the player that turned out to be Cooper Hardin.
https://www.hudl.com/profile/2776448/Carson-Maples
 #1632  by AstroDin
 Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:36 am
It's really hard to dig up stuff on players attending Air Force Prep… From what I can tell Maples was listed on the Air Force Prep roster for 2016-2017 and 2017-2018… I assume he will be transferring in as a Sophomore. It looks like Maples didn't play last season. I bet Clay recruited Maples.

Maples was a key performer on the 2016 Prep team… I can't find any stats but Maples has several pinned highlights on Hudl plus I found a few archived discussions about Maples on a few AFA forums.

Maples IMO appears to be a huge late pick-up - he's a legit fullback - my guess is he's 6-0 225 to 230. He's very hard to tackle but more impressive a very physical blocker.

Curious to see if we'll see a press release on Maples?
 #1633  by The Jackal
 Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:24 am
JohnW wrote:

Same. I presumed Maples was the FB/LB target prior to announcing Hardin. If I had to guess, I imagine Maples will slot into the depth chart as a fullback. He's got good size for the position and has experience running out of the flex.

I like what Furman is doing here. They are bolstering positions of need with guys Hendrix recruited out of high school. Adding another fullback helps lessen the blow of two departing seniors next year (Gibson and Dirks). Sanders is also a redshirt junior and, I presume, could leave if he chose. Should also allow us to redshirt Abrams.
 #1638  by FUBeAR
 Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:24 pm
AstroDin wrote:
It's really hard to dig up stuff on players attending Air Force Prep… From what I can tell Maples was listed on the Air Force Prep roster for 2016-2017 and 2017-2018… I assume he will be transferring in as a Sophomore. It looks like Maples didn't play last season. I bet Clay recruited Maples.

Maples was a key performer on the 2016 Prep team… I can't find any stats but Maples has several pinned highlights on Hudl plus I found a few archived discussions about Maples on a few AFA forums.

Maples IMO appears to be a huge late pick-up - he's a legit fullback - my guess is he's 6-0 225 to 230. He's very hard to tackle but more impressive a very physical blocker.

Air Force Prep is a 1 year program. Either you go to USAFA or elsewhere following 1 year there. It is a “prep” program & does not count against NCAA eligibility.

If you want to find any AF Prep stats, find their schedule & then look to find their opponents’ game box scores. They sometimes publish both Teams stats, sometimes only their own, and sometimes none. Most likely to find stats when they play the JUCO’s.

I think his Twitter tells the story ...

Enrolled @ AF Prep in 2016

Went ‘up the hill’ to USAFA in 2017 & was not very happy. (Hint: most aren’t). Was on Team. May have been injured early in season. Possibly burned a year of eligibility though. Most USAFA FR do because they play JV games, which count against eligibility.

Went back to USAFA for 2nd semester, but not happy (most aren’t...may have mentioned that already)

Made a decision to make a change (most do)
Stumpy’s rules won’t let me post more than 3 links...so, I’ll paste the text of a Tweet instead...2/1/18...”You gotta know when to hold them, know when to fold them.... #bigchoices”

Probably came home to NC; posted his highlights; and now he’s gonna be a Paladin! ...2/9/18...”Check out Carson Maples #6… #hudl”

His College/Football Life just got better...much better!
 #1639  by Paladin91
 Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:52 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:24 pm
AstroDin wrote:

Air Force Prep is a 1 year program. Either you go to USAFA or elsewhere following 1 year there. It is a “prep” program & does not count against NCAA eligibility.

If you want to find any AF Prep stats, find their schedule & then look to find their opponents’ game box scores. They sometimes publish both Teams stats, sometimes only their own, and sometimes none. Most likely to find stats when they play the JUCO’s.

I think his Twitter tells the story ...

Enrolled @ AF Prep in 2016

Went ‘up the hill’ to USAFA in 2017 & was not very happy. (Hint: most aren’t). Was on Team. May have been injured early in season. Possibly burned a year of eligibility though. Most USAFA FR do because they play JV games, which count against eligibility.

Went back to USAFA for 2nd semester, but not happy (most aren’t...may have mentioned that already)

Made a decision to make a change (most do)
Stumpy’s rules won’t let me post more than 3 links...so, I’ll paste the text of a Tweet instead...2/1/18...”You gotta know when to hold them, know when to fold them.... #bigchoices”

Probably came home to NC; posted his highlights; and now he’s gonna be a Paladin! ...2/9/18...”Check out Carson Maples #6… #hudl”

His College/Football Life just got better...much better!
Yikes, stalking the poor kid.
 #1640  by FUBeAR
 Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:38 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:52 pm
AstroDin wrote:
It's really hard to dig up stuff on players attending Air Force Prep…
Yikes, stalking the poor kid.

Paladin82, paladinfan12 liked this
 #1687  by JohnW
 Sat May 05, 2018 12:23 pm
Just checked the roster and transfer Melton Brown is no longer there.
 #1688  by The Jackal
 Sat May 05, 2018 12:49 pm
JohnW wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 12:23 pm
Just checked the roster and transfer Melton Brown is no longer there.
Well, that's a bummer.
 #1706  by gofurman
 Mon May 07, 2018 9:14 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 5:21 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 9:51 am
Wasn’t he the Georgia southern DL ?
Yes.
Thank you for the reply - I keep up sporadically in the off-season... much appreciated Jackal. Wonder where he ends up? hopefully not a rival

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.