• 2021 Speculations

#41837  by FUBeAR
 Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:27 pm
Sir William wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:37 am
Alright, time to say what a lot of us are thinking (well, at least what I’m thinking)…

Several on this board have been crying and whining about the spring collapse since April/May, and quite frankly the sentiment has been understandable to a point. But it’s now August and there comes a time when you’ve made your point ad nauseum, and it’s time to move forward. If you truly and adamantly feel that Furman is going to get their asses handed to them in SoCon play this fall, and that the coaches must be idiots who’ve lost their way completely, and that there’s no hope and you are in complete despair, then do the rest of us a favor and shut the H up. And for the love of all that’s holy, do not come to Paladin Stadium this fall - if we suck as much as you think and say, why would you come?

Honestly, I don’t know about everyone else, but I’m sick of the negativity. In fact, I’m more concerned about the crappy attitude of some of our folks here on UFFP than I am about our performance on the gridiron this past spring. Worst display of whining I’ve ever seen as a Paladin. Man up!! Take off your momma’s panties and put on your big boy pants!

Me - I’m staying positive, seeing the spring as a blessing in disguise, and looking forward to watching the numeral “2021” being hung on the Paladin Stadium field house under the heading of SoCon football champs.

Ok, I’m done.
Sir William liked this
 #41839  by gofurman
 Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:53 pm
Sir William wrote:
Alright, time to say what a lot of us are thinking (well, at least what I’m thinking)…

Several on this board have been crying and whining about the spring collapse since April/May, and quite frankly the sentiment has been understandable to a point. But it’s now August and there comes a time when you’ve made your point ad nauseum, and it’s time to move forward. If you truly and adamantly feel that Furman is going to get their asses handed to them in SoCon play this fall, and that the coaches must be idiots who’ve lost their way completely, and that there’s no hope and you are in complete despair, then do the rest of us a favor and shut the H up. And for the love of all that’s holy, do not come to Paladin Stadium this fall - if we suck as much as you think and say, why would you come?

Honestly, I don’t know about everyone else, but I’m sick of the negativity. In fact, I’m more concerned about the crappy attitude of some of our folks here on UFFP than I am about our performance on the gridiron this past spring. Worst display of whining I’ve ever seen as a Paladin. Man up!! Take off your momma’s panties and put on your big boy pants!

Me - I’m staying positive, seeing the spring as a blessing in disguise, and looking forward to watching the numeral “2021” being hung on the Paladin Stadium field house under the heading of SoCon football champs.

Ok, I’m done.
Agree w most but I never agree that ANY fan should stay home. We need all the bodies in the bleachers we can get

As a matter of fact I came to most all the games from 1992-95. I had little expectation that we could beat GSU or Marshall most times but I came to support the team. You could argue that those are the times (down years) when the team needs the most support! It’s easy for the team to stay ‘up when they are winning. When losing, fan support is really appreciated

Example - I always admired the Gamecocks in a 4-win season yet still drawing 50k fans
Last edited by gofurman on Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #41841  by Furmanoid
 Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:07 pm
There is a difference between what we want to happen and what we think will happen based on the data available. We were asked how we thought the team would do. If the question were what we wanted the team to do, everybody would have the same answer and it would be a pretty pointless thread.

Maybe a few looked at the last few games and said “Yep, we’re definitely gonna win the SoCon,” but most of us did not draw the same conclusion. That doesn’t make us bad people.
gofurman, Davemeister liked this
 #41843  by apaladin
 Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:26 pm
Agree with Fumanoid and GF especially about the stay home part. The team is the only way to end the negativity by playing better. Pretty simple. Go Paladins!
Affirm liked this
 #41844  by Affirm
 Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:42 pm
Sir William wrote:

Ok, I’m done.
Sir William.
Sir William.
Calm down, dear Sir William.
You are angry.
We understand.
It makes you hurt to even think that the team may not do as well as YOU think.
When you calm down and feel better, think about this.
The team’s performance and outcomes are not dictated or determined by any of these speculations.
Or if they are, maybe it could be in the sense that the team finds out that some people think they won’t be champions and the team determines to prove such “naysayers” wrong.
Not everything that you perceive as negative is actually negative.
apaladin liked this
 #41846  by Sir William
 Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:07 pm
affirm wrote:
Sir William wrote:

Ok, I’m done.
Sir William.
Sir William.
You are angry.
We understand.
The team’s performance and outcomes are not dictated or determined by any of these speculations.
Or if they are, maybe it could be in the sense that the team finds out that some people think they won’t be champions and the team determines to prove such “naysayers” wrong.
Ok, thanks affirm. I’m breathing again, and feel much better now. Whew!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
apaladin liked this
 #41847  by Affirm
 Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:28 pm
Sir William wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:07 pm
affirm wrote:
Sir William wrote:

Ok, I’m done.
Sir William.
Sir William.
You are angry.
We understand.
Ok, thanks affirm. I’m breathing again, and feel much better now. Whew!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Great!
We WILL have a season.
As I said in my speculation post, I do not want my speculation to be right.
I hope it will be better, much better, than what I have speculated.
I am wrong often (though not deliberately).
 #41855  by FurmAlum
 Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:28 pm
Affirm, Please explain your rationale in your prediction that we will lose to ETSU by 30? We beat them last year on the road! What I'm I missing?
 #41856  by FurmAlum
 Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:39 pm
I've always been an optimistic person so here is my prediction.

We finally get our offense in gear, the defense plays great too, and with excellent senior leadership the team plays with a chip on it's shoulder and we go 8-3.

I think we will beat A &T and most all the SoCon teams including the Wafart Teariers. L's might be on the road at UTC and Samford. I wouldn't be surprised if we beat them too but we might also lose a couple that I think are W's.

O.K. Y'all can all rip me apart! F'oid, apaladin, Affirm????
DoomedDin1127 liked this
 #41857  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:30 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:07 pm
There is a difference between what we want to happen and what we think will happen based on the data available. We were asked how we thought the team would do. If the question were what we wanted the team to do, everybody would have the same answer and it would be a pretty pointless thread.

Maybe a few looked at the last few games and said “Yep, we’re definitely gonna win the SoCon,” but most of us did not draw the same conclusion. That doesn’t make us bad people.

This is not a scientific conclusion, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Furman long enough to know that virtually every season is a clean slate. Last season has very little predictive ability over the current or future performance of the team.

You can see the world how you want to, but I just don't think you can read too much into the spring months later for a fall season.
 #41858  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:31 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Affirm, Please explain your rationale in your prediction that we will lose to ETSU by 30? We beat them last year on the road! What I'm I missing?
If you are waiting for a group of perpetually dissatisfied defeatists to reach a rational conclusion about the future of the program, you are literally wasting your time.
Sir William, Purple1, furman88 and 3 others liked this
 #41859  by Furmanoid
 Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:40 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:39 pm
I've always been an optimistic person so here is my prediction.

We finally get our offense in gear, the defense plays great too, and with excellent senior leadership the team plays with a chip on it's shoulder and we go 8-3.

I think we will beat A &T and most all the SoCon teams including the Wafart Teariers. L's might be on the road at UTC and Samford. I wouldn't be surprised if we beat them too but we might also lose a couple that I think are W's.

O.K. Y'all can all rip me apart! F'oid, apaladin, Affirm????
I have no problem with that prediction at all. I have a hunch you may be right. But it’s all a hunch. If we make one specific adjustment, I think we will instantly improve the offense. It’s just that I’m not sure we make that adjustment.
 #41861  by apaladin
 Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:09 am
FurmAlum, i have no problem with your prediction either. In fact no one would be happier if you are right than me,
 #41862  by Affirm
 Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:36 am
FurmAlum wrote:
After I find time for remembering, gathering and writing my evidence for saying that, I’ll give it to you.
… OK. Here you go. Please see that I’ve edited my original “real speculation.” I had seen what some wrote about lots of new transfers to UTC and confused UTC and ETSU. I still predict a loss to ETSU, but only by 3, and I changed the UTC loss prediction to 30.
Last edited by Affirm on Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.