• Future Schedules

#53496  by Affirm
 Fri May 13, 2022 4:29 pm
A LITTLE MORE INFO THAT MAY NOT BE IN THE FBSSCHEDULES.COM ARTICLE. THIS PUBLISHED YESTERDAY BY THE STATE:
USC announced in a news release on Wednesday that it will replace a previously scheduled game against Liberty with a contest against Jacksonville State on Nov. 4, 2023 in Columbia. The change, according to South Carolina, comes as Jacksonville State needed to add another nonconference FBS game as part of its transition from the FCS and into Conference USA.
Liberty, which competes as an independent and will also join C-USA, also needed to free up games from its previously planned 2023 slate to fall in line with its new conference schedule, USC said in its release Wednesday. ... The JSU game will be the third of South Carolina’s four nonconference games in 2023 along with contests against North Carolina in Charlotte (Sept. 2), Furman (Sept. 9) and Clemson (Nov. 25). USC is also slated to play Mississippi State at home and Texas A&M on the road, along with its six annual SEC East games — though those dates have yet to be announced — per the news release. It’s not altogether clear whether the logistics of the 2023 season could completely change should Texas and Oklahoma transition to the SEC a year sooner than currently scheduled. If so, it’s expected the league will adopt a new scheduling system outside of the current division structure.
 #53520  by apaladin
 Sun May 15, 2022 1:53 am
I think the last part of it that is highlighted is just speculation. First Oklahoma and Texas are currently not scheduled to join until 2025. If they did join early it would be for the 2024 season. Doubt they would adopt a new scheduling format before Oklahoma and Texas join. Even if they did it would only effect the conference games and not the ooc.
 #53521  by Roundball
 Sun May 15, 2022 5:16 am
I hope I am wrong, but I predict S. C. will buy out our game in 2023. If not, that might just be the last game we play against a P5 team. Things are changing fast.
 #53527  by apaladin
 Sun May 15, 2022 11:28 am
Roundball wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 5:16 am
I hope I am wrong, but I predict S. C. will buy out our game in 2023. If not, that might just be the last game we play against a P5 team. Things are changing fast.
Have to respectively disagree. P5 teams have always paid players, now they can do it openly without consequences. Still can only play 11 at a time. Schools are not going to pay out miilions to get out of FCS games to make their schedules tougher. That is the last thing they want to do. Both the ACC and SEC have publicly comittecd to playing FCS teams. If they drop all the FCS games who are they goung to play? Most teams schedules are full at least 4-5 years in advance. Most schools are against adding another conference game.
 #53528  by Roundball
 Sun May 15, 2022 11:50 am
I heard a discussion on a national sports show. Money will be the deciding factor. Let’s use Clemson as an example, but pick any P5 team. They can make much more money playing another P5 team home/away on national tv than paying a FCS team to get a home game two years in a row. I am afraid it will be cheaper to simply buy out any FCS contract games and replace it with a huge money game with a P5 team. It’s coming, and we just need to be ready. Hope I am wrong.
 #53529  by apaladin
 Sun May 15, 2022 12:23 pm
Roundball wrote:
I heard a discussion on a national sports show. Money will be the deciding factor. Let’s use Clemson as an example, but pick any P5 team. They can make much more money playing another P5 team home/away on national tv than paying a FCS team to get a home game two years in a row. I am afraid it will be cheaper to simply buy out any FCS contract games and replace it with a huge money game with a P5 team. It’s coming, and we just need to be ready. Hope I am wrong.
Like I said Clempson does not want to replace Furman with Ohio St. Why make their championship aspirations a whole lot tougher? Teams like Clempson want home games they do not have to return and they don’t need a few extra dollars. Say they play Ohio St on the road. Yes they would get some TV money but would that be more than having 80k at home? Tickets, parking, concessions? I doubt it. On top of that why risk losing.
 #53531  by FUBeAR
 Sun May 15, 2022 7:26 pm
No one knows how this whole Transfer Portal / NIL / NCAA’s new ‘policy of abdication’ is going to shake out in the next 3 to 5 to 10 years. No one includes that guy on TV, FUBeAR, Roundball, apaladin, JD the AD (FUBeAR bets he’d be the 2nd guy to tell you that), or anyone else.

Anyone projecting any measure of certainty about what’s going to happen is delusional or seeking to advance some agenda they may have. It’s fun to speculate and bandy about the generalities of what could happen, but to take this down to projecting the cancellation of a specific future game is just prattle.

In fact, FUBeAR has it on good authority that one Standiford Jenkins was always a frugal type…and he never spent 1 dime of his NFL money. He just lived on the interest he made from the cash he had received from FU Boosters. Then he took all that NFL money and bought bitcoin way before it was cool. Believe he got in at around $10 and cashed out for billions before the recent drop. The best part of this tale is that he’s about to drop a couple of bil (with a B) on the FU Football program. 5 years from now, Clemson will be begging us to let them come play us in our new TR PaladinDome with a fully retractable roof.

You heard it here 1st!
 #53532  by Affirm
 Sun May 15, 2022 7:59 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
No one knows how this whole Transfer Portal / NIL / NCAA’s new ‘policy of abdication’ is going to shake out in the next 3 to 5 to 10 years. No one includes that guy on TV, FUBeAR, Roundball, apaladin, JD the AD (FUBeAR bets he’d be the 2nd guy to tell you that), or anyone else.

Anyone projecting any measure of certainty about what’s going to happen is delusional or seeking to advance some agenda they may have. It’s fun to speculate and bandy about the generalities of what could happen, but to take this down to projecting the cancellation of a specific future game is just prattle.

In fact, FUBeAR has it on good authority that one Standiford Jenkins was always a frugal type…and he never spent 1 dime of his NFL money. He just lived on the interest he made from the cash he had received from FU Boosters. Then he took all that NFL money and bought bitcoin way before it was cool. Believe he got in at around $10 and cashed out for billions before the recent drop. The best part of this tale is that he’s about to drop a couple of bil (with a B) on the FU Football program. 5 years from now, Clemson will be begging us to let them come play us in our new TR PaladinDome with a fully retractable roof.

You heard it here 1st!
"... how this whole Transfer Portal / NIL / NCAA’s new ‘policy of abdication’ is going to shake out in the next 3 to 5 to 10 years"
I believe I read that it may be as late as the mid-2030's (13-14 years from now) before large-scale upcoming changes actually occur, at least in regards to major realignments of NCAA divisions or even a totally new setup for governance of college athletics. In other words, it may be more like 13-14 years, instead of 3 to 5 to 10 years from now, before we know how things are going to shake out. A minor point, I realize. Things are going to be changing. In some cases, those things are going to take a little longer than we may think.
 #53534  by apaladin
 Sun May 15, 2022 9:06 pm
Affirm, I agree. Think about it, they coukdn’t even agree on a simple obvious good thing of expanding the FBS playoffs.
 #53536  by The Jackal
 Mon May 16, 2022 6:35 am
Roundball wrote:
The answer to nearly every question regarding college football is "money."
 #53542  by AllTimeFU
 Mon May 16, 2022 12:11 pm
FUBeAR wrote:

You heard it here 1st!
Love the sound of your inside scoop. It would be great to see a huge donor step up and invest big time in these student athletes. Pay for some tuition and a facility investment. Who are the top 5 possible candidates?
 #53546  by Furmanoid
 Mon May 16, 2022 2:54 pm
I think we are out of luck because FU fans tend to be FU grads. They are too smart and well grounded to dump too many millions into semi-pro football. We need rich rednecks.
Affirm liked this
 #53553  by FurmanFan23
 Mon May 16, 2022 9:18 pm
I agree. Furman doesn't realize people won't donate until we have good teams. Institutional support for athletics is a must that Furman has ignored for way too long. A perfect example of this is Timmons.
 #53554  by FurmanFan23
 Mon May 16, 2022 9:22 pm
I think when the basketball maintains its success and makes the tournament more than once this will no longer be an issue.
 #53561  by Affirm
 Tue May 17, 2022 2:03 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 9:06 pm
Affirm, I agree. Think about it, they coukdn’t even agree on a simple obvious good thing of expanding the FBS playoffs.
Great that WE can agree, or at least be agreeable.