• Wofford opts out of rest of season

#39659  by FUBeAR
 Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:26 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:07 pm
SoCon Commish Statement:

https://soconsports.com/news/2021/4/5/g ... tions.aspx

Reading between the lines, but he's calling out some schools.
The only school I see him calling out here is ETSU.

Their fans started beee-yatchin’ about it BEFORE they played VMI. They were / are proposing all sorts of schedule changes to give them a chance to win..if they and VMI both have 1 loss.

WCU fans / admin may be mad they lost 2 home games & band performances.
Mercer hasn’t been affected yet & I don’t think most Mercer fans even know they have a chance to win the SoCon.
ChattaQuitta & Wof-Fraud (I think it needs a hyphen) sure aren’t upset...and I didn’t see anything in there calling them out. Just saying they aren’t lying about being unable to play OR if they are lying, we haven’t caught them in those lies.
I’m sure Furman is upset about losing Wof-Fraud...but it was not unexpected.
CIT doesn’t really care - haven’t lost any games to this ish & just gives them ammo to impugn the manliness of other schools.
VMI will benefit, perhaps.
Sammy probably doesn’t care.
 #39661  by Flagman
 Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:17 pm
SoCon Supports the Woffy Wussies

"The Southern Conference supports Wofford in its decision to discontinue its 2020-21 football season as it is left unable to field a sufficient number of players at specific position groups to meet the conference’s COVID-19 guidelines due to a combination of COVID-impacted opt-outs and injuries. The Terriers’ remaining scheduled games will be recorded as no-contests and will not be rescheduled."

The conference set this in motion in the pre-season by giving schools an excuse that is totally unrelated to COVID; that being the minimum number of players at a given position. That excuse would have never been in place had it not been added, supposing COVID concerns.

Wofford quit!
FUBeAR, QCGlue liked this
 #39662  by Furmanoid
 Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:40 pm
This whole opt out thing started out as a way to let kids off the hook if they were afraid of Covid, right. Does anybody believe that any of these kids are really still afraid of Covid? Somehow this opt out thing has morphed to accommodate anybody who wants to forfeit without calling it a forfeit. Will these rules ever go away? Remember all the voting tweaks that were supposedly made for Covid? Now if anybody wants to roll them back, it’s Jim Crowe. Will any league ever try to make people show up for their games again? Or will that be seen as more exploitation of student athletes?
 #39665  by apaladin
 Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:43 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:55 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:53 pm
As an aside, Furman better strap up for Saturday.

The Citadel isn't going to shut things down for us. We'll get the best they've got.
The better question is ... will they get the best we’ve got?
The bigger question is do we have a best or have we already seen our best.
Last edited by apaladin on Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #39666  by AlValonge
 Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:37 pm
Wofford is dog scat for quitting and it is a shame that we won't get the chance to play them at home. We now have to focus on the bellhops and try to redeem what is left of the season... I am not too proud to admit that a W would lift my spirits after this recreation league of a season. We have to figure something out before the fall because I can't do another season like this too soon without ample recovery time....
apaladin, FUBeAR, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #39669  by FurmAlum
 Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:19 pm
I'm not surprised Wofford pulled this stunt. This whole "Covid-19 issue", "not enough players", "health and safety of our players", and other cliches has been used by teams to manipulate the system for their own ends. This means you Woffy and Chatty. Has any other team in SoCon football cancelled a game this Spring?

As far as I can tell Furman had at least 8 players out with injuries last Saturday, 5 on offense, and 3 on defense, and yet we lined up and played. We didn't play well but at least we didn't quit.
QCGlue liked this
 #39672  by FUBeAR
 Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:35 pm
FurmAlum - Wof-Fraud & ChattaQuitta have their own personal truths. You can’t question their personal truths because you haven’t lived their truths. Even if they are both lying (which, with 99.9% certainty, they are), it’s still THEIR truths if they say that it is.

You must adapt and awaken your thinking to align with theirs.
 #39674  by Flagman
 Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:06 pm
Woffy math. You can’t lose if you don’t play.
QCGlue liked this
 #39678  by apaladin
 Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:13 am
Western Illinois has now opted out using the tired old “health and safety excuse”. Translated is “look we are 1-5 going no where and I don’t won’t spend any more time doing this and I’m ready to go on vacation because I’m getting paid anyway”. I think its a testiment to the state this counry is in. In the past a team of any kind would never quit regardless of their record, now its ok if things arent going well, just quit. Sad. This country is in a mess.
FurmanMom60 liked this
 #39680  by dornb
 Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:28 am
I really hate that the SoCon canceled the fall season. There didn't seem to be too many problems with the teams that played in the fall. This spring season has been a dumpster fire. I don't know if we would have played any better, but at least we would have played in the fall. This opt-out rule is ridiculous! :x
 #39685  by gman84
 Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:04 am
I'm wandering if these opt out programs are hemorrhaging money so bad that the decisions are from the university presidents and have absolutely zero to do with covid #s. Wofford so proudly told us last year how financially sound they were when ED canned our baseball program. Guess they want to keep their finances pristine.
 #39686  by The Jackal
 Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:08 am
gman84 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:04 am
I'm wandering if these opt out programs are hemorrhaging money so bad that the decisions are from the university presidents and have absolutely zero to do with covid #s. Wofford so proudly told us last year how financially sound they were when ED canned our baseball program. Guess they want to keep their finances pristine.

I mean, I think the more logical explanation is that there has to be a ton of buy-in from these programs to make this thing run.

If there was not going to be a normal fall season, these schools likely make a different call. These programs know they are coming back in 4 months to play another full season.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.