• Rebuilding

#39538  by AlValonge
 Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:13 pm
It is still perplexing how we can still look so bad on offense after we have played this many games. Yeah, our defense didn't play great today and gave up way too many 3rd downs and big plays, but they played almost the entire game. Unfortunately, they had NO help from our offense again. I think that our poor offensive performance illustrates that we have a talent gap in multiple positions that needs to be addressed. In my opinion, this is deeper than a coaching issue. I am tired of playing teams each week that seem to have breakout players making huge plays while we are having fistfights with ourselves trying to get a sustained drive together. We need some playmakers that are capable of taking a game over and rising to the occasion. We have to win some one-on-one matchups. We need somebody to count on when the game gets tight and we have to score. We are unable to do that with the current offensive roster as far as I can tell...
bj93 liked this
 #39540  by Jasper
 Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:47 pm
This is not new. This team was totally unprepared to play in 4 games last year. Citadel, Wofford and Austin Peay. Completely outcoached in every aspect of the game and it has gotten worse. Just ask the kids who played in those games. This staff is clueless. They actually chose #9 over #4 in fall practice and the kid left. Are you kidding? This will continue until they either drop the program or start hiring coaches who don’t bleed purple but are competent. You just witnessed 2 programs going in different directions today. Cronic is going to build Mercer into an FCS powerhouse and Hendrix and Co. are “running” the FU program into oblivion or Div. 3. He was right under our eyes as an assistant and great OC. It really is a shame.... and shameful. I have had enough. I can live with mediocrity better than total incompetence and that is what we witnessed today. I don’t think there is enough KoolAid on earth to justify this mess but I’m sure some will try. Good luck
bj93, apaladin liked this
 #39541  by Sad Din
 Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:02 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:47 pm
This is not new. This team was totally unprepared to play in 4 games last year. Citadel, Wofford and Austin Peay. Completely outcoached in every aspect of the game and it has gotten worse. Just ask the kids who played in those games. This staff is clueless. They actually chose #9 over #4 in fall practice and the kid left. Are you kidding? This will continue until they either drop the program or start hiring coaches who don’t bleed purple but are competent. You just witnessed 2 programs going in different directions today. Cronic is going to build Mercer into an FCS powerhouse and Hendrix and Co. are “running” the FU program into oblivion or Div. 3. He was right under our eyes as an assistant and great OC. It really is a shame.... and shameful. I have had enough. I can live with mediocrity better than total incompetence and that is what we witnessed today. I don’t think there is enough KoolAid on earth to justify this mess but I’m sure some will try. Good luck
Maybe being a FU grad (that played on a good FU football team) and being a good high school coach doesnt qualifiy someone to be the O Coord of a school that intends to compete for Nattys agaisnt the likes of North Dakota St?

Just sayin'.....
 #39543  by Thorny
 Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:22 pm
I have no idea how to fix this! :D

Coaches were successful with an exceedingly questionable roster but now can't compete with the guys they recruited and plenty of depth. :|

As long as we are discussing the sky falling, how many other teams do yall think are better set up for long term success in the conference. I don't see this as the beginning of a VMI dynasty.

/I am still for banning fans that bring up Pioneer.
apaladin liked this
 #39544  by apaladin
 Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:29 pm
AlValonge wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:13 pm
It is still perplexing how we can still look so bad on offense after we have played this many games. Yeah, our defense didn't play great today and gave up way too many 3rd downs and big plays, but they played almost the entire game. Unfortunately, they had NO help from our offense again. I think that our poor offensive performance illustrates that we have a talent gap in multiple positions that needs to be addressed. In my opinion, this is deeper than a coaching issue. I am tired of playing teams each week that seem to have breakout players making huge plays while we are having fistfights with ourselves trying to get a sustained drive together. We need some playmakers that are capable of taking a game over and rising to the occasion. We have to win some one-on-one matchups. We need somebody to count on when the game gets tight and we have to score. We are unable to do that with the current offensive roster as far as I can tell...
David Cobb on the postgame said it best. “We just don’t have any playmakers on offense with the possible exception of Wynn.” Tried to listen to CCH on the postgame but I don’t think he ever came on did he? If he did I missed him.
 #39545  by furmandad
 Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:36 pm
Devin is bigger & stronger this year, and I believe that has cost him a breakaway step. He had an extra gear past couple of years.
 #39546  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:41 pm
Thorny wrote:
As long as we are discussing the sky falling, how many other teams do yall think are better set up for long term success in the conference. I don't see this as the beginning of a VMI dynasty.
After watching their freshmen dominate us today, I’d say Mercer. And Cronic has been a winner everywhere he has been.
 #39548  by fu77fan
 Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:05 pm
We have scored less than 20 points in 4 of our 6 games. You will not win many games scoring less than 20 points.
 #39549  by apaladin
 Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:23 pm
fu77fan wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:05 pm
We have scored less than 20 points in 4 of our 6 games. You will not win many games scoring less than 20 points.
Good call. Yep in these days of offensive football you’re not going to win scoring 13, 14, 18 and 14. How many actual 70-80 td drives have we had this year?
 #39550  by apaladin
 Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:26 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:41 pm
Thorny wrote:
After watching their freshmen dominate us today, I’d say Mercer. And Cronic has been a winner everywhere he has been.
This is what is scary, even though the league is not good you can see potential and improvement in several teams but not FU and I think Mercer will be on top soon. Great coach and lots of young and I mean young talent. Just hard to take that teams like VMI and Mercer among others can have stud freshman QB’s and we don’t even have a freshman or even a sophomore QB on the roster except walk-ons. I would love to have that VMI QB.
 #39551  by JohnW
 Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:48 pm
This is the offense CCH wanted, propagandized for, and deserves.
 #39553  by gofurman
 Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:05 am
I will say one positive. Our run D is good. That’s out of run D, pass D pass O and. run O. One of the four is good. Heck, we were close to hav8ng four punts blocked. I have to say they scouted us better in one week than we did in two. I am concerned with the trajectory. We seem to be regressing instead of improving - Even if losing.

I did note that We don’t have playmakers in preseason. When you run pitch plays for a TE (he is one of our faster players) that’s not a good sign - where is Adam Mims etc". I see Wynn and that’s it. Maybe. WRs and TEs are great possession recvrs but not Thomas Gordon threats vertically. If we had an ankle breaker on O this team would be totally different. I kinda wonder about using KT more. Well, and need better blocking at LOS.
 #39555  by purplehorse
 Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:39 am
I loved Bobby Lamb and Bruce Fowler and truly thought CCH was the man for the job. Great guys with great careers overall. But certainly we have to go outside of the Furman family for the next hire.

Instead of Furman becoming Greenville’s team, the fan base has really diminished over the last decade despite at times heroic efforts by some folks at Furman.

I hope CCH can resurrect the program but things are not looking very bright right now. I know the problem is multi-factorial but we all know the buck always stops with the head coach.

Lots of folks tended to ignore our really bad losses to Citadel. Wofford and Austin Peay in 2019. We are now 3-5 in our last 8 games- At best two losses to really good teams (Wofford and AP) and our wins have been over Western, Samford and ETSU.

It is hard to see a positive trajectory in the near future. The program badly needs a shot in the arm not several years of being a mediocre team in a bad conference.

We have come nowhere close to playing a complete game this year. I will be surprised if we beat Citadel.
bj93 liked this
 #39561  by Furmanoid
 Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:07 am
Did it look like we were trying anything different on offense? I keep expecting something to change. But it’s just slow developing run plays, “options” that aren’t really options, and occasional nice 15yd throws over the middle. We don’t spread the field sideways or vertical. It’s weird.
bj93 liked this
 #39562  by fufanatic
 Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:14 am
The defense isn’t elite, but is good enough to win the SoCon in my opinion. It all comes down to having virtually no talent at QB, OL and WR. Really don’t understand how we got here.
bj93, apaladin, dornb and 1 others liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.