• Scouting Mercer

#39399  by Mocs123
 Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:13 pm
Have I said in ANY of my posts that Mercer didn't beat Chattanooga? I just said if we didn't gift the ball to Mercer in our red zone twice the game could have gone the other way. Much like the UTC-Citadel game could have, the Furman - VMI, or the Furman - Samford, or Furman-VMI games.

I think Coach Wright played the players he wanted to play and I think all Moc fans expected it - though perhaps not start 14 freshman or however many we started.

Mercer could have played down to their competition - that does happen and I know we've been guilty of it ourselves in the past, but I really think they are a couple of years away. Of course I never dreamed VMI could go undefeated in the SoCon in the spring either, so Mercer could do the same in the fall.

The Mocs did have a ho-hum 5-3 SoCon record in 2019 capped by a painful loss to VMI. We had a ton of injuries in 2019 - We had something like 8 ACL's in 2019 and had four running backs go down during the year - of course that is football, but if any team can understand the injury bug I'd think it would be Furman - I remember 2013 and 2014.

Good luck to Furman in the rest of their season.
apaladin, gofurman liked this
 #39409  by gofurman
 Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:16 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:51 am
If you really want to go “Scouting Mercer,” here a couple of game composite/highlight videos (not “hype” videos) that will enable you to see what the Bears have/had against Chatt. and earlier, at home, against Citadel. The interesting thing about these 2 videos is that CIT was, relatively, at full-strength in this video - took Chatt. to OT the following week - vs. the shambles the bellhops are now AND vs Mercer, Chatt chose to player younger Players in many/most positions. So, for the most part, not the same personnel that Furman faced against Chatt. in the game prior AND, most likely, not the same personnel that FU will face vs. CIT next week.

...and for our resident Teary-er fans, I’ve included Mercer’s BAD game @ Wofford. If Mercer plays like they did in this season opener, Furman will win by 4+ scores.

Thanks FUBeAR! Maybe we can celebrate a seriously belated birthday w a drink in the fall. Let’s do it- glad you are of legal drinking age now ...
FUBeAR liked this
 #39414  by FurmAlum
 Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:57 pm
Thank you Mocs123 for taking the bait. You sound like a pretty loyal Mocs fan and have eloquently spewed the biggest bunch of malarkey that I have ever heard.

If Coach Wright didn't want to play in the spring then the Mops shouldn't have played. Simple as that.

First he's wimps out vs VMI saying "we weren't ready." Since when can you just cancel a game because "you are not ready". He's had 16 months to get his team ready. COVID is being used as an excuse to do whatever you want.

Then he pulls this s*** against Mercer. If you aren't going to give it 100% then don't even play.

The Mops are a disgrace to the game and Coach Wrong should be thrown out of the SoCon.

These guys are 18-20 years old. Playing 8 games in the Spring and then a full schedule in the fall is not going to kill them one time. No, you don't want to do that every year. Heck they haven't even played from Dec. 2019 until Feb. 2021. Most of them were chomping at the bit to play. I know Furman's players were.

Take your stupid excuses and shove them.
 #39426  by The Jackal
 Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:29 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:57 pm
Thank you Mocs123 for taking the bait. You sound like a pretty loyal Mocs fan and have eloquently spewed the biggest bunch of malarkey that I have ever heard.

If Coach Wright didn't want to play in the spring then the Mops shouldn't have played. Simple as that.

First he's wimps out vs VMI saying "we weren't ready." Since when can you just cancel a game because "you are not ready". He's had 16 months to get his team ready. COVID is being used as an excuse to do whatever you want.

Then he pulls this s*** against Mercer. If you aren't going to give it 100% then don't even play.

The Mops are a disgrace to the game and Coach Wrong should be thrown out of the SoCon.

These guys are 18-20 years old. Playing 8 games in the Spring and then a full schedule in the fall is not going to kill them one time. No, you don't want to do that every year. Heck they haven't even played from Dec. 2019 until Feb. 2021. Most of them were chomping at the bit to play. I know Furman's players were.

Take your stupid excuses and shove them.

We have a new poster from another school. He doesn't speak for Chattanooga. He can have his opinion. Relax.

UTC certainly can shoulder criticism here. They probably should have just opted out or played more in the fall. Their athletic programs apparently did not do a great job of COVID enforcement, as quarantine issues seemed to routinely plague them.
 #39454  by FurmAlum
 Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:40 am
Mocs123 I owe you an apology. I still stand by my position that UTC should have given it 100%, but some of my comments were out of line and mean spirited.

You are welcome to comment on this board anytime.
FUBeAR liked this
 #39456  by gofurman
 Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:02 pm
Thanks for posting here Mocs123. I wish we had more from other schools. At FCS we could use more general interest- please come back in the fall or anytime!

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.