• Something To Play For

#39010  by The Jackal
 Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:21 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:12 am
Many of our plays take way too long to get going. Even our straight handoffs are too slow. We are a total inefficient mess on offense.

It's hard to argue that.

I don't have an advance degree in this stuff, but I think what we are trying to establish the run and then work off play action.

What's happening, though, is teams aren't afraid of that. They are charging down hill and attacking our backfield. At that point, we are just sitting ducks back there.

I realize this may all work on a napkin, but at some point, if the fish aren't biting, you need different bait.
 #39011  by cavedweller2
 Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:23 am
I would split 17 out wide and throw deep to him. He can fly. You have to have that deep outside threat to take the pressure off the run game.
 #39014  by Furmanoid
 Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:50 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:23 am
I would split 17 out wide and throw deep to him. He can fly. You have to have that deep outside threat to take the pressure off the run game.
Bell isn’t too slow either. There must be a reason we aren’t doing what you are saying. I don’t think we can make the throw. I don’t think we even feel confident doing a bubble screen because that throw (which looks easy) is too demanding.
gofurman liked this
 #39018  by JohnW
 Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:28 pm
Remember folks griping about the 7 yard out passes last year? Be nice if that was an option now to back the defense off a little.
 #39024  by The Jackal
 Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:31 pm
On a positive, looks like two Freshmen making things happen here. Jackson and Clark.

So, at worst, even if everything falls apart this spring (it won't) we get some talented young guys some snaps.

#39029  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:19 pm
JohnW wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:28 pm
Remember folks griping about the 7 yard out passes last year? Be nice if that was an option now to back the defense off a little.
That option was taken away in the first game when WCU intercepted the first pass. When your QB locks in and telegraphs where he is going it makes it too easy for the DBs.
 #39030  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:51 pm
Dropped to #20 in the STATS poll. If we could move up to #15 by the end of the season it would be good. Tall order, just can’t see us running the table but we will see.
 #39033  by palafan
 Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:18 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:41 pm
We are not "bad."

Our offense has been inconsistent. Our defense has largely been tough as nails.

At worst, the next few games will give players some valuable experience.
We are horrible, dude.
 #39039  by FurmAlum
 Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:21 pm
Been reading all the mass hysteria on here since the Chatt. loss. What a bunch of crap!

"QB no good, need to go to Pioneer League, no talent, bad coaches, no discipline", etc,etc. What a bunch of fair weather fans.

The QB cannot throw deep or do anything if he doesn't have time to throw and has D linemen in his face all the time. Our run game sets up the pass. Fix the blocking schemes/OL issues and that will cure a lot of ills. He can throw it if he has some time. The D has been great.

I'm not ready to give up on Sisson or Furman football just because we've lost 2 games by 3 points.
FUKA61, FUBeAR, Paladin82 and 9 others liked this
 #39046  by DoomedDin1127
 Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:53 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Been reading all the mass hysteria on here since the Chatt. loss. What a bunch of crap!

"QB no good, need to go to Pioneer League, no talent, bad coaches, no discipline", etc,etc. What a bunch of fair weather fans.

The QB cannot throw deep or do anything if he doesn't have time to throw and has D linemen in his face all the time. Our run game sets up the pass. Fix the blocking schemes/OL issues and that will cure a lot of ills. He can throw it if he has some time. The D has been great.

I'm not ready to give up on Sisson or Furman football just because we've lost 2 games by 3 points.
THANK YOU! I’m not giving up. I’m hopeful that these coaches and players are learning from this season for the fall. Think of this as a tuneup preseason for fall and you won’t be as whiny. Losing sucks but let’s see what happens. Beating Wofford/Citadel would be great.
apaladin liked this
 #39050  by gofurman
 Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:09 am
DoomedDin1127 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:53 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

THANK YOU! I’m not giving up. I’m hopeful that these coaches and players are learning from this season for the fall. Think of this as a tuneup preseason for fall and you won’t be as whiny. Losing sucks but let’s see what happens. Beating Wofford/Citadel would be great.
Agree100%. In retrospect I think it’s good we played Spring as now we see what to fix for fall. If in October it would be too late.
DoomedDin1127 liked this
 #39051  by gofurman
 Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:10 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:21 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:12 am
Many of our plays take way too long to get going. Even our straight handoffs are too slow. We are a total inefficient mess on offense.

It's hard to argue that.

I don't have an advance degree in this stuff, but I think what we are trying to establish the run and then work off play action.

What's happening, though, is teams aren't afraid of that. They are charging down hill and attacking our backfield. At that point, we are just sitting ducks back there.

I realize this may all work on a napkin, but at some point, if the fish aren't biting, you need different bait.
Right. EXECUTION. OL. Qb. Play calling. Something has to back off the pressure. Sisson is running for his life and runs are going for 1 yd. haven’t seen much like this in a while. EVERY team is just charging the LOS w Reckless abandon now. Citadel last year. VMI this year and now everyone.

The strange thing is we always said if we could complete 50-60 pct of passes we would be fine. (Citadel Woff last year we did not ). Now that is happening and yet we aren’t fine Bc we can’t run at all
 #39054  by purplehorse
 Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:21 am
FurmAlum wrote:

And how did we play against Citadel and Wofford and Austin-Peay and Sammy and ETSU the last time we played them. I am looking at a bigger picture of “our work” than losing 2 games by 3 points. What, our second loss to VMI in like 28 years? I hope your optimism proves to be correct but I don’t see it at all. Are you still going to be that optimistic if we lose to Citadel and Wofford and go 4-4? Time will certainly tell. To me we are at best an average football team. Again time will tell. Maybe the off-week will help us.
 #39057  by Furmanoid
 Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:31 am
I’ll admit I’ve given up on winning the SoCon this Spring. That’s because I’m not crazy.

I’m readjusting expectations to where I just expect to be in the top half of the conference and every now and then sneak up and beat out storied programs like WC and ETSU for the Championship. I’ll adopt the Jim Mora attitude about playoffs. That’s where we’ve been for years, and there is no evidence of improvement. But it’s OK. I’ve loved having these games to watch. Next spring is gonna suck. The players are who they always are. I guess the coaches are the best we can hope for.

But if you can’t bitch about stuff on the UFFP then what’s the points of having the thing?
apaladin liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.