• Samford highlights

#38397  by Davemeister
 Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:53 am
Glad to see our kicker Timmy Bleekrode getting some accolades. He was 3-3 in FGs and converted all 5 of his PATs. Couldn't have won without him.
QCGlue liked this
 #38400  by The Jackal
 Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:28 am
Here's the play Scott referenced.

Deluca starts at the top of the screen. He is running his man off. Doubles back and then essentially screens really the only guy that could have had a decent shot at tackling the streaking Miller. Coach is right, that little maneuver potentially won the game (or, without it, could have not given us an opportunity to win the game).

Just a well designed play, in my opinion.

Furman essentially gives Samford a look they are likely expecting - Sisson rolls to the right and drag Deluca across the field.

I think we pick on the safety here. He appears to have man coverage on Miller, but once Miller looks like he's blocking, he starts looking at Sisson. It's not until Sisson stops that he realizes that his man is about to get the ball.

Not sure why, but I like Tomlin's block on this play. Blocks down, turns, and waits for the defensive end to run back the other direction. Samford's DE saw Sisson stop, throw back over his head, and then the first thing he saw turning around was a purple jersey in his face.
PalaDad liked this
 #38402  by The Jackal
 Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:01 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:32 am
81 should have had him easy but took horrible angle.
The DE? If it could have had him "easy," he would have gotten a hand on him.

Remember, Miller can fly. One site tracked his touchdown catch as the second fastest max speed of any play last week. So, he caught the ball and accelerated, which likely caused the "bad angle."

Truthfully, if you pause the video right after the catch, the DEs angle isn't that bad in my opinion. Miller just blows by him. He doesn't have enough space or time to adjust to the acceleration.

PalaDad liked this
 #38403  by Furmanoid
 Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:44 pm
You’re right. I looked at it again and our boy was just too fast.
 #38405  by FUBeAR
 Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:17 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:01 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:32 am
81 should have had him easy but took horrible angle.
The DE? If it could have had him "easy," he would have gotten a hand on him.

Remember, Miller can fly. One site tracked his touchdown catch as the second fastest max speed of any play last week. So, he caught the ball and accelerated, which likely caused the "bad angle."

Truthfully, if you pause the video right after the catch, the DEs angle isn't that bad in my opinion. Miller just blows by him. He doesn't have enough space or time to adjust to the acceleration.

BTW - It seems one of the Founders of Recruiting Analytics, Cory Yates https://recruiting-analytics.com/founders/, is the Dad of Paladin FR CB, #22 Ivan Yates (a former Roswell Hornet #StingEm). Not exactly sure of the business model, but it looks darn interesting...and FUN.
 #38406  by AstroDin
 Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:32 pm
^^^ I do know that a guy named Coach Deion Sanders of Jackson St. used their services to aid in recruiting.
Saw that in a tweet a while back.
 #38407  by AstroDin
 Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:40 pm
here is Kendall Thomas hitting 19.4 against VMI and he's not near full gallop.
My guess is Thomas in full gear is going to be at or near 21 mph.
The big deal about this tech is measuring real in-game speed instead of 40 yard dash times.
This makes Miller's speed even more impressive.
 #38416  by gofurman
 Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:30 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:40 pm
here is Kendall Thomas hitting 19.4 against VMI and he's not near full gallop.
My guess is Thomas in full gear is going to be at or near 21 mph.
The big deal about this tech is measuring real in-game speed instead of 40 yard dash times.
This makes Miller's speed even more impressive.
LOVE the SPEED ! That makes up for a lot of other things. Thomas coulda been caught 5 yards behind the LOS but instead went for 40..
 #38430  by AstroDin
 Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:47 am
^^^ GoFu Furman has quietly increased its stable of speed

I'd group these skill-position players in the elite speed category.
Anderson
Bell
Thomas

You can add to that group two players (we've only seen one play so far)
Bailor Hughes (caught a beautiful sideline pass against WCU)
Kelton Gunn (might be the fastest player on the team)
Gunn and Hughes were track guys and played multi-positions in HS. I don't think we will see too much of them till 2021 fall.

Took me a while to find this - but the stable of speed doesn't stop at skill-players.
True freshman Ivan (Champ) Yates was clocked at a burst of 20.9
 #38432  by cavedweller2
 Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:20 am
That Thomas kid could become a modern day Chas Fox. Send him flying down the sideline and have Sisson uncork the bomb and all he does is run under it. First you have to make sure to suck the safety in so he wont play center field. You can do that by pretending to give the ball to one of the guys that run with it. You know. Fool them.
FUBeAR liked this
 #38434  by FUBeAR
 Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:20 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:20 am
That Thomas kid could become a modern day Chas Fox. Send him flying down the sideline and have Sisson uncork the bomb and all he does is run under it. First you have to make sure to suck the safety in so he wont play center field. You can do that by pretending to give the ball to one of the guys that run with it. You know. Fool them.
Them others would go all pell-mell if we did that.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.