• WCU Game Release and depth chart

#36835  by The Jackal
 Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:51 am
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:31 am
I'm going with if Furman is listing a three-deep depth chart for many positions we're going to see a lot of players Saturday.

Paul and I texted about this last night > Furman list 18 freshmen on the depth chart. This is a sign of a staff getting in the groove in recruiting. There are freshmen and redshirts pushing some very good veterans for PT.

Kuzemka > way back when we could watch a practice #52 stood out - he was always mixing it up. I'm guessing we will see a heavy rotation at MLB with Gilby and DiMaggio.

I'm going to keep an eye on #36 Jalen Miller - Miller was a heat-seeking missile for Byrnes. Smart, very athletic, and physical. He could have a big year.

As we've said all along, I think the "starters" are going to be a bit of a misnomer. We're going to rotate a lot of guys based on the game situation.

Also, some of the freshmen have a bit of an asterisk. Guys like Rhodes and Richards were early enrollees in the spring of '20. Unlike many FCS teams, Furman got in their complete spring practice. They then had another spring-like practice in the fall, tons of weight room time, and now a preseason camp plus 8 game season.

We could go into the fall, for instance, with one of these "freshmen" who has now played 8 games, gone through two spring camps and two fall camps. That is, they are way more experienced than a typical freshman.
 #36839  by The Jackal
 Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:27 am
gofurman wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:52 am
NICK KUZEMKA .. yep. same one caught me by surprise. Over Gilby? we will see.

Bell at SE - this is the other that has me befuddled a little. I was sure he was the WR/flanker. I hope we get Bell on the field a lot as he is about our fastest guy..

Page at TE - this one they list all 3 as "or" so no big deal here

Harris backup - this one I get as he is coming off injury

I hate that Harris and McKoy are injured. Both great players - McKoy may miss the season. - McKoy was voted one of the two captains... hope we see him in the fall !!

So, I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the SE/FLK designation. I'm quite certain there's a method to the madness here.
 #36840  by AstroDin
 Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:56 am
[/quote]
As we've said all along, I think the "starters" are going to be a bit of a misnomer. We're going to rotate a lot of guys based on the game situation.

Also, some of the freshmen have a bit of an asterisk. Guys like Rhodes and Richards were early enrollees in the spring of '20. Unlike many FCS teams, Furman got in their complete spring practice. They then had another spring-like practice in the fall, tons of weight room time, and now a preseason camp plus 8 game season.

We could go into the fall, for instance, with one of these "freshmen" who has now played 8 games, gone through two spring camps and two fall camps. That is, they are way more experienced than a typical freshman.
[/quote]

one more interesting caveat - the coaches don't have to worry about redshirting anyone - these true freshmen will play two seasons in 2021.
 #36842  by FUBeAR
 Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:59 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:56 am
one more interesting caveat - the coaches don't have to worry about redshirting anyone - these true freshmen will play two seasons in 2021.
I know, right!

NCAA better get ready. In addition to Full Cost of Attendance and Image & Likeness Ownership; these kids, with the amount of time they are going to retain eligibility, are going to start demanding a Pension Plan!

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.