• Playoffs

#20090  by youwouldno
 Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:58 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:31 pm
Thorny wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:39 pm
Playing against North Dakota St. wouldn't be ideal but if Furman loses the coaching staff and players got their shot.

/NDSU plays in a dome. It will not be cold and snowy inside but it will be hellishly loud.
I mean, we've already played two FBS teams on the road. GSU's stadium was surprisingly loud when we were up there.

Someone needs to go to Fargo and punch that team in the face. I'd love for it to be us.
No one in their right mind would rather face NDSU in Fargo than in Frisco.
fufanatic, QCGlue liked this
 #20091  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:03 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:58 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:31 pm
Thorny wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:39 pm
Playing against North Dakota St. wouldn't be ideal but if Furman loses the coaching staff and players got their shot.

/NDSU plays in a dome. It will not be cold and snowy inside but it will be hellishly loud.
I mean, we've already played two FBS teams on the road. GSU's stadium was surprisingly loud when we were up there.

Someone needs to go to Fargo and punch that team in the face. I'd love for it to be us.
No one in their right mind would rather face NDSU in Fargo than in Frisco.
This. NO ONE wants to play in Fargo at 125 decibels inside their dome

And outside snot freezes. Ask
Flagman :D
 #20093  by fufanatic
 Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:13 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:32 pm
I am not convinced that playing the first round at home against a weaker team is a terrible thing vs. getting a first round bye.
Ive been playing around with the same thing in my head. Ultimately if the goal is to win a title, the first round bye is a must have, but playing a weaker team at home in first round could set us up better to make a little bit of a run.
 #20094  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:14 pm
fufanatic wrote:
purplehorse wrote:
I am not convinced that playing the first round at home against a weaker team is a terrible thing vs. getting a first round bye.
Ive been playing around with the same thing in my head. Ultimately if the goal is to win a title, the first round bye is a must have, but playing a weaker team at home in first round could set us up better to make a little bit of a run.
I mean, to win a title you have to beat good teams. We can't dodge them forever.

Frankly, I'd just prefer that Furman host those games. A lot of potential seeded teams are a long way from South Carolina.
 #20095  by youwouldno
 Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:19 pm
The Jackal wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
purplehorse wrote:
I mean, to win a title you have to beat good teams. We can't dodge them forever.

Frankly, I'd just prefer that Furman host those games. A lot of potential seeded teams are a long way from South Carolina.

Sure, but that's not happening this year, which is the subject. Best case is a first round bye and one home game.

Without being seeded, the most likely outcome is zero home games, since the University never bids above the minimum required.
 #20097  by fufanatic
 Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:23 pm
The Jackal wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
purplehorse wrote:

I don’t want to see NDSU until Frisco. Period. Anyone else I would feel ok against.

To the second point. Absolutely. Can you imagine Weber or Sac St going across country for 1 pm eastern game? Not ideal for them. Just not sure if it’s possible for us to jump up to a #4 seed or higher though. Because without upsets, seeds 5-8 only give you one home game.
 #20115  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:34 pm
Something I’ve been playing w in my head - a scary place !!! I would love to beat KSU in a playoff game as they talk a lot on AGS etc and play such an easy sched. However I may wait to see how we do vs Woff to see if I want KSU. If our two only FCS losses are Cit and Woff I may change my mind and not want an option team. I think if our O is on trackWe are fine and also not sure if KSU is in playoffs now as Monmouth whopped em. Something I’m watching

A note here. I think part of our great pass D is obviously our CBs but also the move to the 3-4 and more smaller quicker players. However the opponents this helps are when we play a physical run team. It fits the narrative. Our two closest FCS games? ETSU - physical between tackles and Citadel - physical and our only loss. You have to choose your style and I love our D but we are slightly smaller though quicker. We have top D in SoCon! . Just sayin’ the overall view says we may not want super hard physical running teams. Let’s beat Woff
 #20119  by purplehorse
 Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:01 pm
Regardless of various scenarios, the Wofford game is our most important game of the season by far. We want to win the Championship outright (a nice progression for CCH-playoffs in 2017, co-champions in 2018 and solo champion and seeded playoff team in 2019$. To me it is essentially a playoff game (although technically probably not an elimination game). I am not sure there is any team I would rather beat than Wofford. First things first!
apaladin, FUKA61, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #20122  by mathprofhiker
 Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:13 pm
Looking at the other at-large candidates, 8-4 overall with 7-2 in the FCS will probably be good enough to get in the playoffs, but I don't want to even think about losing. There's nothing like being outright Socon champs.
dornb liked this
 #20130  by AstroDin
 Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:43 am
Lots of big games still to play… and I don't see the MVC and the Big Sky grabbing all but one seed.

Northern Iowa and SDSU play in Brookings this weekend. SDSU has QB issues. Both teams sit at 7-3 so - whichever one loses I can't see getting a seed.

Weber St and Montana play in Missoula this weekend. One of them will fall to 8-3 - both could still grab a seed.
BTW… Montana still has to play Montana St in Bozeman.

SacSt is sitting at 7-3 and getting a ton of love - the Hornets also have some injuries and could be in danger of losing one of the last two games - they play at UC Davis on the 23rd.
 #20136  by fufanatic
 Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:40 am
Had this thought this morning that makes me nervous. Say we lose to Wofford and Citadel beats Chatt and Wofford. Three-way tie for first with Citadel getting auto and Wofford holding head-to-head over us. Even though we are highly ranked and probably still would be after a Point win, if the committee doesn’t respect the SoCon, it still might be hard to get three teams in. I think best case scenario if we happen to lose this weekend would be for Chatt to beat Citadel and then Citadel to beat Wofford, and I think that would give us share of title with Wofford and a great shot at at-large spot as only two teams in SoCon would really be eligible.
Last edited by fufanatic on Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #20146  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:33 am
fufanatic wrote:
Had this thought this morning that makes me nervous. Say we lose to Wofford and Citadel beats Chatt and Wofford. Three-way tie for first with Citadel getting auto and Wofford holding head-to-head over us. Even though we are highly ranked and probably still would be after a Point win, if the committee doesn’t respect the SoCon, it still might be hard to get three teams in. I think best case scenario if we happen to lose this weekend would be for Chatt to be Citadel and then Citadel to beat Wofford, and i think that would give us share of title with Wofford and a great shot at at-large spot as only two teams in SoCon would really be eligible.
Yeah, we don't want to be the 3rd SoCon team. No one does this year.

Remember too that Wofford plays fewer games than Furman. The Terriers lost to a middling MEAC team and a pretty poor Samford squad. Their big ooc win game against Gardner Webb.

GWU lost to Charleston Southern at home (thereby settling that debate) and just last week lost to Presbyterian, who to that point was winless and might have claim to being the worst team in the FCS. So, Wofford's ooc resume is incredibly weak.

There's a scenario where things fall apart for us, but I'd rather we just go win Saturday and enjoy watching everyone else shift in their seats.
Davemeister, dornb liked this
 #20148  by Davemeister
 Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:40 am
To be the best you have to beat the best.

In the words of Don Vito Corleone: "A (team) can have but one destiny."

If it is our destiny to face the freezing climate of Fargo, we must embrace it - and deliver a Purple punch in the mouth! What better way to set the FCS World on its ear than to slay the Bison in their lair?

FargoDome: Two teams enter . . . one team leaves.
 #20149  by fufanatic
 Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:14 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:33 am
fufanatic wrote:
Had this thought this morning that makes me nervous. Say we lose to Wofford and Citadel beats Chatt and Wofford. Three-way tie for first with Citadel getting auto and Wofford holding head-to-head over us. Even though we are highly ranked and probably still would be after a Point win, if the committee doesn’t respect the SoCon, it still might be hard to get three teams in. I think best case scenario if we happen to lose this weekend would be for Chatt to be Citadel and then Citadel to beat Wofford, and i think that would give us share of title with Wofford and a great shot at at-large spot as only two teams in SoCon would really be eligible.
Yeah, we don't want to be the 3rd SoCon team. No one does this year.

Remember too that Wofford plays fewer games than Furman. The Terriers lost to a middling MEAC team and a pretty poor Samford squad. Their big ooc win game against Gardner Webb.

GWU lost to Charleston Southern at home (thereby settling that debate) and just last week lost to Presbyterian, who to that point was winless and might have claim to being the worst team in the FCS. So, Wofford's ooc resume is incredibly weak.

There's a scenario where things fall apart for us, but I'd rather we just go win Saturday and enjoy watching everyone else shift in their seats.
That's a really great point. I might be the only person that cares, but is there a weird FBS BCS/playoff era argument (assuming Citadel comes away with auto) that even if Wofford beats Furman in a close game Saturday, that Furman is still the more deserving playoff team based on both non-conference schedule and Furman having better losses? Feel like that happened with Baylor and TCU a few years ago and the committee just left both of them out. So maybe not the most positive example ...

Maybe I'll end this convo by just saying that I fully expect us to win this weekend. I think we are the better, more complete team and it's our time to finally win in Spartanburg and take the SoCon crown outright. Which would be our first outright title since 1990.
dornb liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.