• FCS Polls Oct. 21st

#19004  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:20 pm
I still say 8-4 is in the playoffs as that's 8-2 subtracting the FBS. 7-2 vs FCS and looking at our 14th ranking we would be top20ish esp after you subtract Princeton and Dartmouth and HBCU. An 8-4 top 20 ranked team is in
 #19007  by gman
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:33 pm
gofurman wrote:
I still say 8-4 is in the playoffs as that's 8-2 subtracting the FBS. 7-2 vs FCS and looking at our 14th ranking we would be top20ish esp after you subtract Princeton and Dartmouth and HBCU. An 8-4 top 20 ranked team is in
If we lose another game, I think the pollsters will look at our record being 7-4. They will not consider the Point game at all. We need to win out and win the weak SoCon to get in. Otherwise, we are on the outside looking in again.
 #19009  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:48 pm
gman wrote:
gofurman wrote:
If we lose another game, I think the pollsters will look at our record being 7-4. They will not consider the Point game at all. We need to win out and win the weak SoCon to get in. Otherwise, we are on the outside looking in again.
i agree they drop point. But I also think we are in in that scenario. We will be 7-2. If you drop POINT (and you should) then you drop the two FBS (close losses) ... so you have a top 20 7-2 team. we we re close last year at 6-3 FCS not ranked. so this 7-2 team would be like last year but you add a win / and drop a loss / and be ranked? that should be in. I emailed the guy at nobowls to ask his opinion. let you know what I hear. as AP said, these guys pretty much go by polls - COACHES POLL.

we would be top 22 or so at 8-4 because that would mean we go 4-1 here out. And as I said you drop the Ivy and HBCU team that's three free spots !
 #19014  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:26 pm
gman wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Gman, I think you are talking about the committee and not the pollsters, which are 2 different groups. I think you are giving the playoff committee too much credit. They do not look that close. Did they discount ETSU's win over Mars Hill last year? I think no. It has been proven that they pretty much take the final coaches poll, take the auto bids, eliminate the non-participants and then make out the bracket. It's almost 100 percent every year.
 #19016  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:50 pm
apaladin wrote:
gman wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Gman, I think you are talking about the committee and not the pollsters, which are 2 different groups. I think you are giving the playoff committee too much credit. They do not look that close. Did they discount ETSU's win over Mars Hill last year? I think no. It has been proven that they pretty much take the final coaches poll, take the auto bids, eliminate the non-participants and then make out the bracket. It's almost 100 percent every year.
AP. Right. It’s the 10 auto bids plus the next 14 in the COACHES poll - roughly. You do Drop ivy teams and HBCU bowl team. So - in this scenario - would winnjng 4 and losing 1 drop us out of 23 or so ? I don’t think so seeing as how we only fell 6 this week. Win 4 and drop 1 leaving us 8-4 - my guess we are probably 20th in coach poll. Hope we win 4 or 5!!
 #19018  by gman
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:05 pm
apaladin wrote:
gman wrote:
gofurman wrote:
FWIW, Mars Hill is NCAA Division II. Point is NAIA, which is two levels lower. The game against Point should not be considered as a real game when it comes to choosing which teams get into the playoffs. All we have to do is win out and we will be okay. Sadly, the winner of the SoCon might have at least 2 conference losses, and might not be ranked.
 #19024  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:25 pm
gman wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Probably also noting that outside of maybe the top 4 or 5 teams, the FCS is a crapshoot this year.

I don't know how the committee will look at an 8-4 Furman team, but I'm pretty sure there won't be THAT many teams with a better resume in the FCS.
 #19025  by purplehorse
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:39 pm
Getting in the playoffs is one thing....but having a good path in the playoffs is something totally different. One would obviously want a seed and home-field advantage etc.

We need to win out and leave no doubt and see the Citadel debacle as a needed wake up call!

LEAVE NO DOUBT I believe was our mantra going into the season!
QCGlue liked this
 #19026  by Affirm
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:44 pm
gman wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:05 pm
apaladin wrote:
gman wrote:
gofurman wrote:
FWIW, Mars Hill is NCAA Division II. Point is NAIA, which is two levels lower. The game against Point should not be considered as a real game when it comes to choosing which teams get into the playoffs. All we have to do is win out and we will be okay. Sadly, the winner of the SoCon might have at least 2 conference losses, and might not be ranked.
We actually have to win 3 of the next 4. Don’t even talk about Point. Point is a fine school and fine program, but if we do not beat Point, we should decline to be in any playoffs (because of the difference in levels).
 #19027  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:04 pm
Like I said the committee dose not look that close. Pollsters are prolly a little better. Kennesaw St has already played Point and it has not had a negative effect on them at all.

In fact after KSU beat Point they moved UP 3 spots in the Coaches poll. :o
 #19029  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:10 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Getting in the playoffs is one thing....but having a good path in the playoffs is something totally different. One would obviously want a seed and home-field advantage etc.

We need to win out and leave no doubt and see the Citadel debacle as a needed wake up call!

I mean, if you want a home game and a high seed in the post season, don't lose at home in conference play.
gman, MNORM, QCGlue liked this
 #19038  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:22 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:10 pm
purplehorse wrote:

I mean, if you want a home game and a high seed in the post season, don't lose at home in conference play.
well played Jackal, well played
 #19096  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:01 pm
I hope this has enough VALUE for some of you. It certainly concerns the team and no one else took the time to post it or look it up for us. This takes Socon Johns post a slight bit farther as it pertains to making the playoffs.

Other teams playing that should lose and help us by creating more havoc this week in terms of .500 teams in the top 25 range:
NDSU v SDSU type games I skip as that doesn't really affect us.

16 Towson is at 2 JMU. Hope Towson loses ((they are 4-3 now)
5 Weber State is at 22 UC Davis (hope UCD loses as they are 4-4 now)
12 Central Arkansas vs 21 SHSU (one of em has to lose so that helps - probably prefer SHSU lose so the whole 15-25 ranked teams are .600 type teams)
23 Southeast Missouri State vs UT Martin (26?) - big OVC matchup there
 #19106  by Affirm
 Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:44 am
gofurman wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:01 pm
I hope this has enough VALUE for some of you. It certainly concerns the team and no one else took the time to post it or look it up for us. This takes Socon Johns post a slight bit farther as it pertains to making the playoffs.

Other teams playing that should lose and help us by creating more havoc this week in terms of .500 teams in the top 25 range:
NDSU v SDSU type games I skip as that doesn't really affect us.

16 Towson is at 2 JMU. Hope Towson loses ((they are 4-3 now)
5 Weber State is at 22 UC Davis (hope UCD loses as they are 4-4 now)
12 Central Arkansas vs 21 SHSU (one of em has to lose so that helps - probably prefer SHSU lose so the whole 15-25 ranked teams are .600 type teams)
23 Southeast Missouri State vs UT Martin (26?) - big OVC matchup there
So we now need to defend the VALUE of our posts beforehand, as in your first paragraph? If so, I guess there will be fewer and fewer posters and members.
gofurman liked this