• Post Game Thoughts

#17691  by tya1
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:32 pm
Not our best game, but we were making plays in the fourth quarter when we needed them.

Granger looked like a freshman at times. The interception he threw after we got a turnover was really a bad mistake. It appeared he could pick up a good gain running before he heaved it up for grabs. Luckily it can now just be a "teaching moment."

Defense really came through. ETSU was unable to consistently move the ball, and that's what you ask of your defense.

We won one while playing poorly on offense. Hard to win championships without winning one like this now and then.
DeepPurple, MNORM, dornb and 2 others liked this
 #17692  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:33 pm
We, as fans, just don't need to overreact to this game. It wasn't what we were necessarily expecting, but it sounds like it is the type of game the coaches were expecting.

Anyone else remember when our 2004 team beat Elon 10-0 and scored like a bagillion points on everyone else? These games happen.
 #17695  by youwouldno
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:47 pm
The Jackal wrote:
We, as fans, just don't need to overreact to this game. It wasn't what we were necessarily expecting, but it sounds like it is the type of game the coaches were expecting.

Anyone else remember when our 2004 team beat Elon 10-0 and scored like a bagillion points on everyone else? These games happen.
Coaches always say stuff like that in this situation . . . the reality is that there is no way Hendrix, GQ, etc., were expecting to score 17 points against ETSU. Maybe they expected a semi close game, but not this.
 #17696  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:48 pm
The Jackal wrote:

exactly - people looking at film knew this was tough. And by that I just mean credit to a good ETSU defense.
I still feel we aren't giving the credit to our special teams they deserve as we gained 10 yards every time we punted as opposed to them punting and great return on punt by Trapp!
 #17698  by MNORM
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:55 pm
No penalties.....zero.
We'll execute better in Birmingham next Saturday.
I'm getting the feeling the only two SoCon teams that play any sort of defense met each other this afternoon in Greenville.
Bootie, DeepPurple, Mr. Taggart and 1 others liked this
 #17700  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:08 pm
MNORM wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:55 pm
No penalties.....zero.
We'll execute better in Birmingham next Saturday.
I'm getting the feeling the only two SoCon teams that play any sort of defense met each other this afternoon in Greenville.
great point MNORM and that's just it, D, special teams, no penalties - that's a WIN !!! everything other than offense was strong today. People like offense but EVERY PHASE COUNTS
QCGlue liked this
 #17704  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:04 pm
please correct me if i am mistaken but I think I heard ETSU started 10 juniors or seniors on defense? As in this was the D they had been building toward?

EDIT - checked: 5 seniors, 5 juniors, 1 freshman. Among the seniors are the two freak DE 45 Player and 49 Madoufokwa - two great DEs !!! (One may make NFL); also #13 Lewis all conference DB is a senior. The one super star who is junior is #16 Tyree Robinson.. we have to see him one more time
 #17709  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:41 am
I just keep thinking how the fumble changed the game. We already were up 10-0, ETSU had done nothing offensively and I believe it was a first down run that gained good yardage up close to midfield when the fumble occurred. We really looked like we were fixing to take control, much like the Samford game last year when the fumbled happened. Thank goodness it didn't cost us a game like the one last year did. The first down sideways passes that wasted a down stopped 3 drives in the first half when were were moving the ball real well. I wish we would just never call that play again. It is very high risk with very minimal results even if it is complete.
 #17710  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:07 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:41 am
I just keep thinking how the fumble changed the game. We already were up 10-0, ETSU had done nothing offensively and I believe it was a first down run that gained good yardage up close to midfield when the fumble occurred. We really looked like we were fixing to take control, much like the Samford game last year when the fumbled happened. Thank goodness it didn't cost us a game like the one last year did. The first down sideways passes that wasted a down stopped 3 drives in the first half when were were moving the ball real well. I wish we would just never call that play again. It is very high risk with very minimal results even if it is complete.
The real insult to injury is that I believe the fumble happened because Watkins got hurt. IE not sure (I was there in person so no TV to help) but it coulda occurred because his bell was rung rather than a strip. Changed the game but key is is Watkins ok?
 #17712  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:54 am
Concerning the Watkins play/fumble, it was hard to see but it happened right in front of me. It was a wicked blindside hit. Just a guess - Corey was knocked out. He did walk to the medical tent and walked to the cart to be taken out of the stadium. I'm guessing he will be under a concussion protocol.

From my seat in section 8 - that ETSU team was one of the most physical teams, I've seen in Paladin Stadium in a long time. Clay mentioned during postgame, that they (coaches) expected a hard-fought game, I think they expect our offense to play better.

Clay mentions, several missed opportunities due to players not going in motion and he was very frustrated at not getting to the pitch on some options and not cracking the safety. I believe it was Jackal that said it for an FBS team to
have a chance in stopping Furman's offense they will need strong safety play.

The Bucs safeties played a great game - I see trouble ahead for The Citadel, Samford, and Wofford matching up against the Buc defense.

My hot take on why we won a game (with a lot of young players) than in past season's we would have lost.
Depth.

Our defense stood tall the entire game, I love the sub-packages, the defensive line rotations, and the linebacking rotations. As the season rolls on this will be a difference-maker all teams get kicked up and we appear to be able to rotate players far more than other SoCon teams.

Concerning the offense - I agree that the hit on Corey that led to the fumble changed the game. I think it knocked the offense back on its heels. Watkins was running really strong up to that point he was running with power and quicks. Thankfully we have depth, I hope Corey is OK and comes back soon.

I did watch the Samford/Citadel game - I might eat my words but The CItadel is very one-dimensional they do have one-weapon outside a fast receiver. That's about it. Samford is Samford, minus the magician. I expect the DINS to go to BAMA and play focused.
DeepPurple, QCGlue liked this
 #17713  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:13 am
It was hard to tell from the broadcast, but my impression is that ETSU's defensive backfield had a great game. We are so used to seeing Furman receivers running wide open down the field, that it was sort of arresting to see all of those guys covered up.
 #17714  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:34 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:13 am
It was hard to tell from the broadcast, but my impression is that ETSU's defensive backfield had a great game. We are so used to seeing Furman receivers running wide open down the field, that it was sort of arresting to see all of those guys covered up.
to your point - not sure our tight ends had a pass thrown their way against the Bucs.

I still think DeLuca is the secret weapon. With Gordon deservedly getting defenses attention DeLuca is making gritty acrobatic catches. Funny though - IMO maybe the biggest catch to seal the win was by Armstrong.
 #17721  by FUBeAR
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:18 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:38 pm
We should cruise next week
 #17722  by FUBeAR
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:21 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:38 pm
We should cruise next week