• Polls as of 9-23-19

#17374  by fufanatic
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:44 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:11 pm
Yadkin wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:59 pm
Kennesaw State being ranked No. 4 in the coaches poll is absolutely laughable. They play virtually NOBODY except a sorry Kent State team that took Bowling Green to the wire before losing 63-20 last Saturday.
I think it was Kent St. that won 62-20
Here’s Kennesaw State’s schedule so far: beat NAIA Point, 59-0. Lost to MAC 2-2 Kent State in OT, 26-23. Beat SWAC 2-2 Alabama State, 42-7. Beat MVC 0-3 Missouri State, 25-24. Next host NAIA Reinhardt, followed by Charleston Southern, at PC, vs. Northern Alabama, etc. What a joke. They’ll be 11-1 with two wins over NAIA teams and will be a top seed. I would love to go to Kennesaw in round 2 or 3 and beat the brakes off of them.
FUKA61, dornb liked this
 #17375  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:48 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:44 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:11 pm
Yadkin wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:59 pm
Kennesaw State being ranked No. 4 in the coaches poll is absolutely laughable. They play virtually NOBODY except a sorry Kent State team that took Bowling Green to the wire before losing 63-20 last Saturday.
I think it was Kent St. that won 62-20
Here’s Kennesaw State’s schedule so far: beat NAIA Point, 59-0. Lost to MAC 2-2 Kent State in OT, 26-23. Beat SWAC 2-2 Alabama State, 42-7. Beat MVC 0-3 Missouri State, 25-24. Next host NAIA Reinhardt, followed by Charleston Southern, at PC, vs. Northern Alabama, etc. What a joke. They’ll be 11-1 with two wins over NAIA teams and will be a top seed. I would love to go to Kennesaw in round 2 or 3 and beat the brakes off of them.
Beware the Reinhardt Eagles. Dem boyz from Waleska go HARD!
 #17377  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:54 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:19 pm
Which polls matter when it comes to playoff time AND in what order of importance?

We pretty much need to improve every week and take care of business on the field. The polls are very flawed and are largely beyond our control.
these two. the ones that have us ranked lower.. The AGS has us 10th. I think the media (STATS) poll is the one they particularly mentioned they use but would appreciate someone clarifying that.

Question to all - which poll did they mention specifically last year that they were using now? STATS or Coaches?

#15 in coaches poll
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/ ... aches-poll

#16 in media poll
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/ ... fcs-top-25
 #17379  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:08 pm
Another head scratcher is Nicholls, but we all know the influence of the Southland commish. Nicholls opened the season at #12. After a 49-14 loss to a bad Kansas St. team they moved up 2 spots to #10?????? They have 2 FCS wins who have a combined 1-5 record. Still ranked above FU. Another note on Kennesaw St with their sorry resume so far they have moved up from #9 to #4. It's all politics. They will continue to move up when peeps in front pf them lose even though they are in a really bad league and will have zero good wins.
Affirm liked this
 #17382  by fufanatic
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:37 pm
Remarkable Nicholls would move up after a 35-point FBS loss while Furman loses by a combined 13 points to two FBS teams and drops in the polls. It would be laughable if it wasn’t so infuriating and damaging.
Affirm, dornb liked this
 #17384  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:42 pm
I put this in other thread but since there is so much gnashing of teeth - we actually did move a little: (I am Mr. Positive !!!)

From 12 to 10th in AGS (public) poll

Up one spot from 17 to 16 in media STATS poll

But remained same in COACHES poll - 15th I think

I am asking which was the one poll they specifically mentioned last year as the one they use to help guide selections? STATS or COACHES?
 #17389  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:03 am
The AGS is probably the most accurate poll since it is made up of people who actually know and watch the teams. Unfortunately it has zero bearing and means nothing. The only 2 polls they look at is the coaches poll and STATS and I believe they lean heavily on the coaches poll.
 #17396  by MNORM
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:12 am
gofurman wrote:
I put this in other thread but since there is so much gnashing of teeth - we actually did move a little: (I am Mr. Positive !!!)

I am asking which was the one poll they specifically mentioned last year as the one they use to help guide selections? STATS or COACHES?
Just a point of clarification on the AGS poll. It isn't really a "public" poll. It is comprised of roughly 100 voters who vote each week. There are no new voters entering and exiting the list of pollsters. It is essentially private, and I'd argue, is primarily made up of folks more knowledgeable than many in the STATS poll. To my knowledge, there are two people here on the UFFP who have been participating in the AGS poll for multiple years...FuBear and myself.
apaladin wrote:
The AGS is probably the most accurate poll since it is made up of people who actually know and watch the teams. Unfortunately it has zero bearing and means nothing. The only 2 polls they look at is the coaches poll and STATS and I believe they lean heavily on the coaches poll.
While the AGS poll may not have any bearing on the playoff committee decisions for seeding and at-large bidding, it is recognized as an "official" poll in the Massey Football Ranking Composite. Furman is currently ranked 15th in the composite.
https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm
Last edited by MNORM on Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #17397  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:15 am
MNORM wrote:
gofurman wrote:

Just a point of clarification on the AGS poll. It isn't really a "public" poll. It is comprised of roughly 100 voters who vote each week. There are no new voters entering and exiting the list of pollsters. It is essentially private, and I'd argue, is primarily made up of folks more knowledgeable than many in the STATS poll. To my knowledge, there are two people here on the UFFP who have been participating in the AGS poll for multiple years...FuBear and myself.
i believe jackal aka Paladin Fan is also an AGS voter, but doesn’t like to talk about it. Could be wrong.
MNORM liked this
 #17400  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:36 am
apaladin wrote:
Right, there was ONE they specifically mentioned last year as the one they use to help guide them in close decisions. It was STATS or COACHES. Can't recall - thought maybe someone here did. Many here have better memories than Me !!! Maybe it is as you 'believe' -the COACHES poll. Regardless, we are about the same in both
 #17401  by AstroDin
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:41 am
FUBeAR wrote:
MNORM wrote:
gofurman wrote:

i believe jackal aka Paladin Fan is also an AGS voter, but doesn’t like to talk about it. Could be wrong.
Count me in… this is my first year voting on AGS as Paladin Nation. I will admit it's tough and AGS is very buttoned up. I find it very difficult to think about this poll with purple glasses on. I did have no issues putting Furman in my top ten and ahead of KSU this week.
Last edited by AstroDin on Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
gofurman liked this
 #17402  by MNORM
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:44 am
AstroDin wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
MNORM wrote:
gofurman wrote:

Count me in… this is my first year voting on AGS as Paladin Nation. I will admit it's tough and AGS is very buttoned up.
You'll earn your "Poll Perfection" badge soon enough! So we have at least five AGS voters on the UFFP...good to know.
 #17404  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:49 am
AstroDin wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
MNORM wrote:
gofurman wrote:

Count me in… this is my first year voting on AGS as Paladin Nation. I will admit it's tough and AGS is very buttoned up. I find it very difficult to think about this poll with purple glasses on. I did have no issues putting Furman in my top ten and ahead of KSU this week.
way to go Astro - nice !
 #17417  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:18 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
MNORM wrote:
gofurman wrote:

I have before. Not this year.
 #17419  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:20 pm
If I did vote this year, Kennesaw State wouldn't be in my top 10.

I think its a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham that a team benefits from a preseason top 10 ranking based on last year's results, plays a weak schedule where they have little chance of losing an FCS game, and will likely get a seed.
fupaladin01, fufanatic, FUBeAR and 1 others liked this