• our OOC in future

#16076  by AstroDin
 Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:47 am
Signing a home and home with A&T is a great sign - that the FU Admin is open to new matchups and the matchups are regional. I'd expect to see a few other OOC matchups that are similar.

I still think we will see a home and home with a CAA school. There are two schools in Virginia that I'd be excited about playing.

My thinking… lots of OOC opportunities in SC, TN, AL, or VA.
 #16091  by ccoates
 Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:19 pm
I watch all the games on line, but I like to attend when I can. Since I live in Newark DE, home of the Fightin' Blue Hens and am 600 miles from Paladin Stadium, I/m pretty limited to games within a 5-6 hour drive. So I go to the VMIs, the Colgates, and the Elon playoff game.

As this thread shows, there are a lot of quality FCS programs in this neck of the woods that would provide a representative oppoment, amd give me a regular live Paladin fix.

Most logically, there's the CAA. You've got Delaware, Villanova, Towson, William and Mary, Richmond, JMU and Elon. We have a history with everyone but Towson and, possibly JMU. JMU and Delaware have venues seating 29k plus. Delaware used to sell out all the time, bit recent crowds hover in the 15-17 range. Because we stiffed them for Missou and frorced them to go with Delaware State (a long story) they may be adverse to dealing with us again on a home and home basis.

JMUs stadium is one of the jewels of the FCS and would be a good draw, I think, in a home and home situation.

William and Mary and Richmond hearken back to the Southern Conference of my day.

Villanova has slipped a little, but they never stay down for too long. They have an older stadium, right in the Main Line. It's similar to Paladin Stadiom. Larger on the home side with about the same capacity. We played a playoff game there and lost a big lead in the 4th. That aside, it's kind of a fun place to watch a game.

Towson is the new kid on the block. They have a new stadium, named after Johnny U, and they have seen the playoffs and the top 25 a few times in their relatively short history. The stadium is North of town and not in the "rat infested inner city."

The Big South has Monmouth University, which is new to Division 1 and has a new stadium (pretty much 1 side and about 10K. Their program is not bad, but they would not draw flies in Greenville.

In the Patriot League you've got Colgate (unlike Flagman, I like going up there) Lehigh (played them in 66-67) and Lafayette. Historic programs, but no box office.

The Ivies in the neighborhood include Penn, Princeton, and Cornell, who graw fairly well at home, though it can be hard to yell. Penn's Franklin Field seats 60k. but they generally draw around 15, which we would kill for nowadays.

Some FRS schools that are worth cosidering are Charlotte (which as a FCS school lost to DIII Wesley in Charlotte), Liberty, Old Dominion, Ga Southern, Appy State, Tulane, Army, Navy, and Air Force.

Surely wa can get a couple of these guys
 #16097  by Affirm
 Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:01 pm
ccoates wrote:
I watch all the games on line, but I like to attend when I can. Since I live in Newark DE, home of the Fightin' Blue Hens and am 600 miles from Paladin Stadium, I/m pretty limited to games within a 5-6 hour drive. So I go to the VMIs, the Colgates, and the Elon playoff game.

As this thread shows, there are a lot of quality FCS programs in this neck of the woods that would provide a representative oppoment, amd give me a regular live Paladin fix.

Most logically, there's the CAA. You've got Delaware, Villanova, Towson, William and Mary, Richmond, JMU and Elon. We have a history with everyone but Towson and, possibly JMU. JMU and Delaware have venues seating 29k plus. Delaware used to sell out all the time, bit recent crowds hover in the 15-17 range. Because we stiffed them for Missou and frorced them to go with Delaware State (a long story) they may be adverse to dealing with us again on a home and home basis.

JMUs stadium is one of the jewels of the FCS and would be a good draw, I think, in a home and home situation.

William and Mary and Richmond hearken back to the Southern Conference of my day.

Villanova has slipped a little, but they never stay down for too long. They have an older stadium, right in the Main Line. It's similar to Paladin Stadiom. Larger on the home side with about the same capacity. We played a playoff game there and lost a big lead in the 4th. That aside, it's kind of a fun place to watch a game.

Towson is the new kid on the block. They have a new stadium, named after Johnny U, and they have seen the playoffs and the top 25 a few times in their relatively short history. The stadium is North of town and not in the "rat infested inner city."

The Big South has Monmouth University, which is new to Division 1 and has a new stadium (pretty much 1 side and about 10K. Their program is not bad, but they would not draw flies in Greenville.

In the Patriot League you've got Colgate (unlike Flagman, I like going up there) Lehigh (played them in 66-67) and Lafayette. Historic programs, but no box office.

The Ivies in the neighborhood include Penn, Princeton, and Cornell, who graw fairly well at home, though it can be hard to yell. Penn's Franklin Field seats 60k. but they generally draw around 15, which we would kill for nowadays.

Some FRS schools that are worth cosidering are Charlotte (which as a FCS school lost to DIII Wesley in Charlotte), Liberty, Old Dominion, Ga Southern, Appy State, Tulane, Army, Navy, and Air Force.

I greatly like your post and like most of the opponents you suggested, although it appears you left out 2 from the Patriot League that I think we should keep on our list of possibilities:
1. Bucknell University, Lewisburg, PA, seems to be a school very similar to Furman, in student body numbers, academics, and athletics - one of the most similar to Furman in the entire country when all 3 of those factors are considered. Villanova has been discussed, and is close enough. I agree about Villanova being one we should strive to play. However, Bucknell apparently would be about 1.0 to 1.5 hours closer in driving time. (Villanova would be easier to get to with a plane flight, other than for the team, which I guess would have a charter to Villanova or to Bucknell. But it would be easier for fans to fly to Villanova [Philadelphia] than to Bucknell.)
2. Georgetown University, Washington, DC. I have repeatedly mentioned wanting to play them. I have repeatedly been "shot down" by critics. As indicated, Georgetown is in the Patriot League. It is true that they have a stadium that is only 2,500 capacity, which is 2nd smallest in FCS. I agree that is small, but note that Charleston Southern's stadium is only 1,500 more. The favorables regarding playing Georgetown: A. Georgetown is a highly prestigious university, similar in prestige to some of the Ivy League schools. B. Georgetown is a well-known commodity in sports due to its basketball tradition and its Big East membership. C. There must be at least 1,500 Furman fans who would attend that game - not only is it a not-too-difficult drive and an easy flight from South Carolina, Georgia, North Carolina, but also it would attract many Furman alumni and supporters who live in the DC/ Virginia/ Baltimore/Delaware/Philadelphia areas who could probably get to the game in under 3 hours. 1,500 would fill up 60% of the stadium - "advantage" for an away game. D. Georgetown would be just a very interesting and historic and beautiful place to go play a game. E. Furman would probably get more publicity in The Washington Post than in The Greenville News for playing the game. F. We could hopefully work out a deal whereby for a home-and-home football series, Georgetown would allow us a game at Georgetown in basketball. G. Beatable. H. In a home football game, I think it would be an attractive addition to our OOC FCS schedule in any year.
 #16100  by Affirm
 Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:44 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:47 am
Signing a home and home with A&T is a great sign - that the FU Admin is open to new matchups and the matchups are regional. I'd expect to see a few other OOC matchups that are similar.

I still think we will see a home and home with a CAA school. There are two schools in Virginia that I'd be excited about playing.

My thinking… lots of OOC opportunities in SC, TN, AL, or VA.
SC, TN, AL, VA are fine.
But you left GA, NC, FL, KY, and DC.
There are approximately 31 FCS programs in those states and DC (SC, TN, AL, VA, GA, NC, FL, KY, and DC) that are in FCS but not in SoCon.
Of course, there various factors that would determine where those 31 FCS programs would each place on a scheduling priority list. Just being in those states and DC would not necessarily be enough reason to schedule any of them.
(I'm still glad we have Colgate scheduled, and I still would include others like Villanova and Bucknell.)
 #16113  by Affirm
 Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:40 am
Of interest to our OOC FCS scheduling, CollegeAD The Nightcap reported a brief article yesterday. The article says that FCS programs at HBCU’s are rethinking their scheduling patterns involving scheduling Power Five money games as often as they have. Because of so often coming out on the losing end score-wise, the thought is to play more FCS schools OOC and more FBS non-Power Fives that pay out lower contracts. This may give Furman greater opportunities for more home games and/or more home-and-home series with schools including:
SC State
NCA&TSU (which we just contacted with!)
NCCU
Savannah State
Hampton
Norfolk State
Howard
Tennessee State
Alabama State
Alabama A&M
Florida A&M
All 11 of those are among my previous post’s reference to the 31 non-SoCon FCS schools located in the “8 states + DC” (SC,NC, GA, VA, DC, TN, AL, FL, KY). Morgan State (Baltimore) was actually mentioned in the CollegeAD article. They would be close enough to add to the above list of 11.
 #16115  by ccoates
 Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:51 am
affirm wrote:
ccoates wrote:

I greatly like your post and like most of the opponents you suggested, although it appears you left out 2 from the Patriot League that I think we should keep on our list of possibilities:
1. Bucknell University, Lewisburg, PA, seems to be a school very similar to Furman, in student body numbers, academics, and athletics - one of the most similar to Furman in the entire country when all 3 of those factors are considered. Villanova has been discussed, and is close enough. I agree about Villanova being one we should strive to play. However, Bucknell apparently would be about 1.0 to 1.5 hours closer in driving time. (Villanova would be easier to get to with a plane flight, other than for the team, which I guess would have a charter to Villanova or to Bucknell. But it would be easier for fans to fly to Villanova [Philadelphia] than to Bucknell.)
2. Georgetown University, Washington, DC. I have repeatedly mentioned wanting to play them. I have repeatedly been "shot down" by critics. As indicated, Georgetown is in the Patriot League. It is true that they have a stadium that is only 2,500 capacity, which is 2nd smallest in FCS. I agree that is small, but note that Charleston Southern's stadium is only 1,500 more. The favorables regarding playing Georgetown: A. Georgetown is a highly prestigious university, similar in prestige to some of the Ivy League schools. B. Georgetown is a well-known commodity in sports due to its basketball tradition and its Big East membership. C. There must be at least 1,500 Furman fans who would attend that game - not only is it a not-too-difficult drive and an easy flight from South Carolina, Georgia, North Carolina, but also it would attract many Furman alumni and supporters who live in the DC/ Virginia/ Baltimore/Delaware/Philadelphia areas who could probably get to the game in under 3 hours. 1,500 would fill up 60% of the stadium - "advantage" for an away game. D. Georgetown would be just a very interesting and historic and beautiful place to go play a game. E. Furman would probably get more publicity in The Washington Post than in The Greenville News for playing the game. F. We could hopefully work out a deal whereby for a home-and-home football series, Georgetown would allow us a game at Georgetown in basketball. G. Beatable. H. In a home football game, I think it would be an attractive addition to our OOC FCS schedule in any year.

You are correct, I did leave out Bucknell and Georgetown. An oversight on both counts. I also left out Delaware State, which is in the MEAC with SC State and only 50 miles down the road. The program has not been good recently, though they were quite good back in the 80s. They have had a smattering of players in the NFL. the most noteworthy of whom is John Taylor, a wide receiver, who, no doubt, lingers in the memory of Sam Wyche

Georgetown is enlarging its stadium and they say it should be finished for the 2020 season. The enlargement will seat 3500 on the West side/ A smaller number will be on the East side to seat (Iguess) about 4-4500 total.

On the FBS side, I overlooked Maryland and Rutgers, both of whom joined the Big 10 for the$$$. Competitively, in football at least, they need to be in the SPCA
 #16116  by gman
 Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:12 pm
Kickoff for THIS season is one hour from now.
 #16122  by Affirm
 Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:13 pm
gman wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:12 pm
Kickoff for THIS season is one hour from now.
Yes but we can still talk, think, type.
I am attending and enjoying the game.
 #16126  by Affirm
 Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:40 pm
ccoates wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:51 am
affirm wrote:
ccoates wrote:

You are correct, I did leave out Bucknell and Georgetown. An oversight on both counts. I also left out Delaware State, which is in the MEAC with SC State and only 50 miles down the road. The program has not been good recently, though they were quite good back in the 80s. They have had a smattering of players in the NFL. the most noteworthy of whom is John Taylor, a wide receiver, who, no doubt, lingers in the memory of Sam Wyche

Georgetown is enlarging its stadium and they say it should be finished for the 2020 season. The enlargement will seat 3500 on the West side/ A smaller number will be on the East side to seat (Iguess) about 4-4500 total.

On the FBS side, I overlooked Maryland and Rutgers, both of whom joined the Big 10 for the$$$. Competitively, in football at least, they need to be in the SPCA
Add Del St, U Del, Villanova, Penn, Bucknell, Lehigh, Lafayette, Duquesne, Robert Morris, to the list - all relatively close enough for potential home and home.
So the list of non-SoCon FCS possibilities = 41 schools.
 #19861  by Paul C
 Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:12 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:20 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:02 pm
Keep Villanova on that list of possibilities to explore.
I like that but a bit far....FWIW I like playing teams with higher academic profiles. One that we've played in the past, is in a good conference and fits that profile is William and Mary. I'd give a big thumbs up to that.
Bazinga!
 #19865  by gman84
 Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:44 pm
Paul C peeked inside the crystal ball on 8/29/19. If not, go buy a powerball ticket. ;)
 #19866  by Paul C
 Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:08 pm
gman84 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:44 pm
Paul C peeked inside the crystal ball on 8/29/19. If not, go buy a powerball ticket. ;)
stopped clock is right once every 12 hours....
 #19874  by gofurman
 Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:44 pm
Paul C wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:12 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:20 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:02 pm
Keep Villanova on that list of possibilities to explore.
I like that but a bit far....FWIW I like playing teams with higher academic profiles. One that we've played in the past, is in a good conference and fits that profile is William and Mary. I'd give a big thumbs up to that.
Bazinga!

PaulC, What a call. Credit where due !
 #19876  by gofurman
 Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:47 pm
I still want one easy FCS (like CSU or Campbell) every year. Last year taught us a tough lesson. Not saying take all weak sisters. Just SoCon plus one FBS plus NC A&T plus .... CSU or Campbell or a supposed win. Don’t ever want to see 0-3 again. Clearly CH agrees w CSU and adding POINT at last minute
 #19908  by gman
 Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:08 am
gofurman wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:47 pm
I still want one easy FCS (like CSU or Campbell) every year. Last year taught us a tough lesson. Not saying take all weak sisters. Just SoCon plus one FBS plus NC A&T plus .... CSU or Campbell or a supposed win. Don’t ever want to see 0-3 again. Clearly CH agrees w CSU and adding POINT at last minute
CH did not want to play Point. He does not want to play the weakest of the weak.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.