• Series with NDSU? (FU @ NDSU 2024 - NDSU @ FU 2025)

#15974  by Flagman
 Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:09 am
What's with this NDSU fetish? Furman fans will not travel to Fargo. We had less than 200 travel to the play-off game. There's no incentive for NDSU to play Furman, especially if it's tied to a home and home. They will make more money from a sell-out in the Dome. We most likely would need to give them a guarantee to, at a minimum, cover their expenses. The economics don't work.
paladinduece, MNORM, FU69 liked this
 #15977  by Affirm
 Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:21 am
This Saturday, NDSU and Pioneer League Butler play in the Minnesota Twins stadium in Minneapolis, with 35,000 expected to attend. Minneapolis has NFL, MLB, MBA, NHL, MLS, WNBA, etc., etc., etc., and of course ****BCS Big Ten U. of Minnesota Football****
NDSU is 230 miles from Minneapolis.
Butler (Pioneer League) is 600 miles from Minneapolis.
FCS football appears to be of interest in Minneapolis, even with so many other high level sports attractions including BCS Power Five football.
I assert that despite the proximity to Clemson, Furman football should and can receive much higher interest, much greater publicity, and much higher attendance from the Greenville, SC, area.
Last edited by Affirm on Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #15978  by fufanatic
 Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:25 am
Flagman wrote:
What's with this NDSU fetish? Furman fans will not travel to Fargo. We had less than 200 travel to the play-off game. There's no incentive for NDSU to play Furman, especially if it's tied to a home and home. They will make more money from a sell-out in the Dome. We most likely would need to give them a guarantee to, at a minimum, cover their expenses. The economics don't work.
It would be fun, especially if we can become a perennial top 5 team, but I agree with Flagman. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Do we charter a plane when we fly or do we send a truck with everything and fly commercial? If it's the latter, GSP goes to 19 cities direct every day. If it's the former, it probably doesn't matter much the distance since the big expense is just securing a private plane big enough for a football team.
 #15980  by apaladin
 Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:39 am
fufanatic wrote:
Flagman wrote:
It would be fun, especially if we can become a perennial top 5 team, but I agree with Flagman. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Do we charter a plane when we fly or do we send a truck with everything and fly commercial? If it's the latter, GSP goes to 19 cities direct every day. If it's the former, it probably doesn't matter much the distance since the big expense is just securing a private plane big enough for a football team.
When Furman flys it's via a charter as all college teams do.
 #15982  by Flagman
 Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:45 am
apaladin wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Flagman wrote:
Furman usually sends the equipment via our own equipment truck.
 #15984  by fufanatic
 Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:50 am
apaladin wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Flagman wrote:
Makes sense. A lot of people for football. But that's not the case for most sports, especially not at Furman. I bet the only other team that would sniff a charter would be men's hoops if they made the NCAAs. At bigger schools it's usually football, men's hoops and maybe baseball or women's hoops at the elite, elite schools.
 #15986  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:41 am
Flagman wrote:

Says the guy giving out dislikes because someone suggests a series with NDSU, lol

Its really not a big deal Flag, its simply striving for the best possible game in Paladin Stadium :!:
 #15996  by Affirm
 Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:50 pm
I am somewhat interested to know if Flagman, having spoken against the NDSU idea, would give his suggestion, if any, for an economically realistic/doable FCS OOC series that would relatively ATTRACTIVE OF higher attendance and publicity and thereby improve Furman football in some manner.
Nothing at all against Kennesaw State or Jacksonville State, but I wonder if we could get other similarly good FCS opponents for OOC home-and-home besides those relatively very close-by schools. Kennesaw State and Jacksonville seem like the "obvious". Are there some "less obvious" (i.e., less close-by).
(I also realize that winning would solve a lot of "problems" in regard to attractiveness and publicity. And I have nothing against that strategy, when it occurs.)
 #16001  by fupaladin01
 Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:59 pm
After seeing the "hype" video Jax. St put out today I don't want to give them any business. Unless we're givn' em the bizness. I don't know who thought that was a good idea...
 #16003  by paladinduece
 Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:04 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
After seeing the "hype" video Jax. St put out today I don't want to give them any business. Unless we're givn' em the bizness. I don't know who thought that was a good idea...
[/quote

Saw that ... was a bit disturbing. I quit watching when the lineman flashed his moobies. :D
 #16025  by cavedweller2
 Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:51 am
fupaladin01 wrote:
Is it "Hot, Hot, Hot"?
fufanatic, Flagman and 1 others liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.