• Game 1 - Charleston Southern

#15523  by gofurman
 Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:07 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:42 pm
gofurman wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:02 pm
for those who care - and it's interesting at least... Furman is currently a 20 point Favorite over Charleston Southern. I would say that sounds roughly right.
You mean there are Furman people reading this who would not care? I do not believe that.
Actually I wish we could win that game by 40 points. Although whatever statement that result would make may be soon obliterated by VT and/or Georgia State, we still need to make the statement if we can.

For further detail... I was curious and the game started as Furman as a 17.5 point favorite (saw it on AGS and checked on 5 dimes)... now we are a 20 point favorite. Doesn't mean a dang thing on the field of play or affect the players but it says many people saw that line and bet on Furman to win by more than 17.5... since then the line has hit 20 and stayed there. Now you have to understand that if a school has more 'name' or alumni that affects the line - IE, Clemson or Notre Dame or Bama often have lines that move up because a fan who doesn't know will just say - "heck man, it's clemson, I am sure they will win by 30 !!". For said Clempson guy - Clempson did NOT cover against Furman last year :D ... Neither did Michigan State - we were like a 30+ point underdog and lost by 12. But the bandwagon fan thing probably doesn't affect Furman v Charleston Southern - in the 80s it might have

Back to football - yes, I know CH is a good man (would kneel if up 30) but we don't need to win this game by 7 if we can help it. Need to win convincingly IF we can. that said, i am not greedy... After the last 2 years of 0-3 let's just get a WIN !
 #15741  by apaladin
 Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:15 am
Long range forecast which of course will change 10 times before next Saturday says a high of 85 and virtually no chance of rain. If we could have a high of 85 on Labor Day weekend, I could live with that.
dornb liked this
 #15805  by gofurman
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:37 pm
thanks - basically return 5 players on offense and 4 or 5 on D.. but they intend to throw it 'air raid style'. We don't want another KSU debacle - let's make a statement Furman !
 #15819  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:33 pm
gofurman wrote:
thanks - basically return 5 players on offense and 4 or 5 on D.. but they intend to throw it 'air raid style'. We don't want another KSU debacle - let's make a statement Furman !
This team will be ready, I think.

Just reading about our defensive backs - it looks like we can play 7 corners. If CSU wants to throw it around a bit, I think we can throw a lot of coverage guys and pass rushers at them.
 #15820  by gofurman
 Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:58 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:33 pm
gofurman wrote:
This team will be ready, I think.

Just reading about our defensive backs - it looks like we can play 7 corners. If CSU wants to throw it around a bit, I think we can throw a lot of coverage guys and pass rushers at them.
Jackal, I agree. I sure hope we come out on fire after the last two years. NEED A WIN to start the year !

i HOPE this will be a good game that we can get a lead in and practice our pass D because that is obviously our weak link compared to run D , run O, pass O -as a general rule. No need to get defensive.. lol. in 2018: WCU threw for 440 yards and 5 TDs / 0 picks on us. ETSU mounted a comeback with some nice passing as a part of it (also, we choked but still). It's always been our bugaboo. Herink on ETSU passed for 200 yds 1 TD/ 0 picks in a single half to lead that come back.. Hodges at Samford (super talent for sure.) went 40/52 for 400+ yards on us. And that's with us having Adrian Hope and jaylan Reid etc. (yes, I know we had to go to a freshman QB in that game and that changes things in terms of us staying on offense). My point is just that it will be good to see if we can practice pass D vs a team we should beat in trenches.. i THINK.

Just win !

goFurman - get em guys
 #15829  by gman
 Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:58 pm
apaladin wrote:
Long range forecast which of course will change 10 times before next Saturday says a high of 85 and virtually no chance of rain. If we could have a high of 85 on Labor Day weekend, I could live with that.
Perfect football weather today.
dornb liked this
 #15847  by gofurman
 Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:59 am
game week baby !!! time for me to 'nerd up' and study us and CSU lol - I'll make a few CSU posts about all-conference etc as you all probably fear. looking for our two -deep !
 #15848  by apaladin
 Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:45 am
gman wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:58 pm
apaladin wrote:
Perfect football weather today.
......and as expected the forecasted high has changed, up 5 degrees to 90.
 #15862  by Affirm
 Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:23 pm
Interesting that CSU gets at least 1 really big FBS opponent every year - SEC, ACC, PAC 12, Big 10.
This year, they play UofSC, 7 days after CSU plays us.
State newspaper writer said this today in his article, “Predicting South Carolina’s 2019 football season game-by-game”:
“Sept. 7: vs. Charleston Southern
The question here revolves around three quarterback who have been backups. Will there be garbage time Ryan Hilinski for Dakereon Joyner to play, and will former USC walk-on Darion Douglas get on the field for Charleston? It’s an early FCS, a rarity for an SEC team, but USC cruises.
The pick: WIN, by more than a little.”

** MY QUESTIONS ARE:
1. Will Furman cruise?
2. Will Furman win, and if so, will it be “by more than a little”? **

(In same article, writer picks USC to win only 5 other games:
NC by about 14, Missouri by <6, UT by 4, Vanderbilt by about 14, App St by “not comfortably, at all”.
Picks losses to Alabama, UK, UGA, UF, TAMU, Clemson. By the way, my opinion is that USC will do considerably better than 6-6 this regular season; and the writer is being very, very conservative.)
 #15989  by gofurman
 Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:53 pm
scary quote "Remember, there are still players on this roster -- like J.D. Sosebee, Kameron Brown, Stephen Haralambis to name a few -- who played key parts in taking FCS powerhouse North Dakota State to overtime in the Fargodome in 2016".. I did not recall that
 #15993  by Jasper
 Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:25 pm
gofurman wrote:
scary quote "Remember, there are still players on this roster -- like J.D. Sosebee, Kameron Brown, Stephen Haralambis to name a few -- who played key parts in taking FCS powerhouse North Dakota State to overtime in the Fargodome in 2016".. I did not recall that
True. But what is NOT there is the coaching staff that produced those results.
gofurman liked this
 #16019  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:53 pm
gofurman wrote:
This was their last outing.

How they look? Think they could take down the bizuns?

CHARLESTON SOUTHERN (5-6) -VS- THE CITADEL (5-6)

Team 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Total
Charleston Southern 0 14 0 0 14
The Citadel 14 23 3 3 43

Here’s my favorite stat from that game...

Team Statistics
Statistic CSU CIT
Penalties - Yds. 11-100 11-131