• SoCon media day - rankings etc

#14952  by gofurman
 Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:17 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:55 am
gofurman wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:12 am
Agree esp on how does Furman v Georgia State not get 'game of the week' on Sept 7 ?
Three teams are off that week. Others have FBS games on the road which are probably not eligible to be on SoCon GOW. The only 2 home games that week are MH at VMI and Shorter at ETSJ. Pick your portions. Still crazy that VMI has more games than FU and other contenders.
Fair enough.. thanks for noting that.
 #14953  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:43 pm
Paul C wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:43 am
tim wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:43 am
Mercer goes 5-6 or 6-5 tops because thats what BL does. Tell me if y'all see Bear lurking around 'cause after saying that, I want a head start. Furman wins it all, Wofford tanks in their second year without Ayers and their first team in eleven years without Miles Brown and others on D. Surprise team will be WCU who will try it with some coaches this time. Shidadel will be tough. Leonard's Loser, VMI.
I think if Mercer can't get a ring and goes .500 over the next 3 years BL might be in trouble.
I don’t think you know Mercer’s President Underwood very well...

As I am fairly certain Coach Lamb is in the final year of his contract, IMO, Mercer will have a new Head Football Coach in 2020 IF 1 (or more) of the following goals are not reached by the Bears in 2019...

1) Win at least a share of the SoCon Championship
2) Receive a bid to the FCS Playoffs
3) Win 8+ games & somehow not win the SoCon AND not receive a bid to the FCS Playoffs (i.e., get royally screwed by the selection committee. I’ve heard that can happen, y’know).
4) Win 7 games, don’t win the SoCon, don’t receive a bid to the FCS Playoffs, BUT upset FBS UNC in the season finale AND (again) suffer close, HEARTBREAKING losses in a SoCon game or 2 which prevent either of the 1st 2 goals from being realized. Perhaps, an injury to a key Player or injuries to key Players (Riddle, Devezin especially) would also be ‘required’ for retention in this scenario. Yep - most of that is “same old story” for the Bears...but it’s really not that bad of a story...not like the narratives that have existed at VMI & WCU in...well...almost forever. It’s just hard to part ways with the only modern-day Football Coach in school history, who is a near-SoCon legend, when coming off an upset of a P5 Program at the end of an ‘almost’ season...even if it is ANOTHER ‘almost’ season.

Fewer than 7 wins, under ANY circumstances, and the Bears would have a new Head Coach in 2020...sadly, for FUBeAR.

BUT...with Mercer and Furman both bound for a showdown with one another in Frisco to finish this season, we don’t need to worry about any of this foolishness!
 #14954  by paladinfan12
 Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:30 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Paul C wrote:
tim wrote:
Mercer goes 5-6 or 6-5 tops because thats what BL does. Tell me if y'all see Bear lurking around 'cause after saying that, I want a head start. Furman wins it all, Wofford tanks in their second year without Ayers and their first team in eleven years without Miles Brown and others on D. Surprise team will be WCU who will try it with some coaches this time. Shidadel will be tough. Leonard's Loser, VMI.
I think if Mercer can't get a ring and goes .500 over the next 3 years BL might be in trouble.

As I am fairly certain Coach Lamb is in the final year of his contract, IMO, Mercer will have a new Head Football Coach in 2020 IF 1 (or more) of the following goals are not reached by the Bears in 2019...

3) Win 8+ games & somehow not win the SoCon AND not receive a bid to the FCS Playoffs (i.e., get royally screwed by the selection committee. I’ve heard that can happen, y’know).
4) Win 7 games, don’t win the SoCon, don’t receive a bid to the FCS Playoffs, BUT upset FBS UNC in the season finale AND (again) suffer close, HEARTBREAKING losses in a SoCon game or 2 which prevent either of the 1st 2 goals from being realized. Perhaps, an injury to a key Player or injuries to key Players (Riddle, Devezin especially) would also be ‘required’ for retention in this scenario. Yep - most of that is “same old story” for the Bears...but it’s really not that bad of a story...not like the narratives that have existed at VMI & WCU in...well...almost forever. It’s just hard to part ways with the only modern-day Football Coach in school history, who is a near-SoCon legend, when coming off an upset of a P5 Program at the end of an ‘almost’ season...even if it is ANOTHER ‘almost’ season.

Fewer than 7 wins, under ANY circumstances, and the Bears would have a new Head Coach in 2020...sadly, for FUBeAR.

BUT...with Mercer and Furman both bound for a showdown with one another in Frisco to finish this season, we don’t need to worry about any of this foolishness!
When Initially read this I though there was no way Bobby would get the axe given how competitive Mercer was in their first few seasons, but after looking back on BL's records the past 5 years (6-6, 5-6, 6-5, 5-6, 5-6) it does make sense he would need at least 7 wins to keep his job this time around.
 #14955  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:22 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Paul C wrote:
tim wrote:

When Initially read this I though there was no way Bobby would get the axe given how competitive Mercer was in their first few seasons, but after looking back on BL's records the past 5 years (6-6, 5-6, 6-5, 5-6, 5-6) it does make sense he would need at least 7 wins to keep his job this time around.
Mercer has been unbelievably competitive every season & in almost every game they have played since starting in 2013.

A win @ Marist late in 2013 & they win the PFL & make the FCS Playoffs in Year 1. They weren’t very competitive in that game - I think John Russ was concussed early & threw more picks that day than he did the rest of that season combined, but it was what it was. They weren’t very competitive @ San Diego (who was using ineligible Players) earlier in the season. They were only ‘not-competitive’ @ Wofford in the final game of Year 2 & their 1st season in the SoCon. Same story in 2015; competitive in all games, except vs. Samford in the season finale. Not particularly competitive after halftime @ GT in their 1st-ever FBS game in 2016. Also in 2016, not especially competitive @ #3 Chatt. In 2017, they were very competitive @ Auburn; not so much vs. Samford nor @ Alabama in 2 of their final 3 games. Awful @ FBS Memphis in 2018 and not very good @ Wofford, but QB & RB injuries early in 1st Quarter definitely affected the competitiveness, if not the outcome, of that one.

So...’not competitive’ in 10 games in 5 seasons. 3 of those were @ FBS. 1 was against illegal players (vacated victory)...So, I’m gonna say the ‘real’ number is 6 non-competitive games. 1 of those against a Top 3 FCS Team & 2 others seriously injury-impacted (IMO, in 1 of those 2). So...maybe 3 games to, perhaps, be embarrassed about in 5 seasons for a start-up Program....@ Wofford in 2014 & Samford in 2015 & 2017, both in Macon. To be honest, the only game that I, personally, have felt embarrassed for them was Samford in 2017...only lost 20-3, but they were AWFUL that day...for no (apparent) reason.

But...we live in a results-matter world...and records / Playoffs / Championships are really the only results that matter today. If the Bears don’t hit one of those previously-mentioned marks, I wouldn’t fault President Underwood for making a change, but I will be very, very sad.
 #14963  by The Jackal
 Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:29 am
paladinfan12 wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Paul C wrote:
tim wrote:

I do not believe there is any question that Lamb has the hottest seat of any SoCon coach.

While most universities take athletics seriously, Mercer institutionally views their athletics program as a major marketing arm of the school. Of course, ANY athletics program at any university is, at bottom, marketing the school.

Mercer, for a long time, was the big fish in the Atlantic Sun and got used to winning. Outside of baseball and soccer, none of their men's programs have been particularly notable since joining the SoCon.

Bear is right, though, this middle-of-the-roadness bothers Mercer's president, Bill Underwood. I've heard Bill Underwood speak numerous times. He almost always (maybe every time) discusses Mercer athletics. I get the impression that Mercer institutionally views athletics as a means of getting Mercer's name on the map.

That said, I knew Lamb's job was in jeopardy this fall. Mercer, you may recall, lost a lot of coaches off the football team. Several were taking other lateral jobs in the SoCon. That's never a good sign.

Perhaps more concerning was Mercer's firing of Bobb Hoffman, the men's basketball coach. Hoffman had a lot more (relative) success than Lamb, put Mercer's name on the map nationally, but had fallen into seasons of mediocrity. What's more, I also believe he went to college with President Underwood (they both came from Oklahoma Baptist, I believe) and was one of Underwood's first hires. If Hoffman's job wasn't safe, I don't see how Lamb's is.
 #14966  by Affirm
 Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:54 am
It’s my impression that Mercer is dedicated to continuing to raise its national profile as a very high quality university, have made great strides in that direction, and are very serious about continuing to do so. Also, I believe that having a highly-competitive athletics program is an appropriately major part of that long-term strategy. Hopefully, they will stay at the SoCon level for the long term - or stay with the other SoCon private schools in the event Furman and Wofford (and Samford) should choose to realign somehow over the coming years. I consider Mercer very good for the SoCon and as quality competition for Furman. I wish the best for Bobby Lamb as a fellow Furman alum. I still consider that Furman’s firing of Lamb 8 (?) years ago may have been not necessarily for the long-term good of Furman; though I am delighted that we now have CCH as our head coach as well as the excellent staff he has brought in.
 #14967  by The Jackal
 Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:25 am
affirm wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:54 am
It’s my impression that Mercer is dedicated to continuing to raise its national profile as a very high quality university, have made great strides in that direction, and are very serious about continuing to do so. Also, I believe that having a highly-competitive athletics program is an appropriately major part of that long-term strategy. Hopefully, they will stay at the SoCon level for the long term - or stay with the other SoCon private schools in the event Furman and Wofford (and Samford) should choose to realign somehow over the coming years. I consider Mercer very good for the SoCon and as quality competition for Furman. I wish the best for Bobby Lamb as a fellow Furman alum. I still consider that Furman’s firing of Lamb 8 (?) years ago may have been not necessarily for the long-term good of Furman; though I am delighted that we now have CCH as our head coach as well as the excellent staff he has brought in.
I'm sure there is a lot to the story. Starting in roughly 2007 and lasting for most of the next decade, Furman's program entered a pretty dark period. Facilities lagged, recruiting lagged, coaching lagged, talent lagged.

I'm encouraged to see our current staff and players. It makes me appreciate them all the more having followed the team over the last 10 or so seasons.
 #14968  by apaladin
 Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:03 am
Flagman wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:41 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:26 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:55 am
gofurman wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:12 am
Agree esp on how does Furman v Georgia State not get 'game of the week' on Sept 7 ?
Three teams are off that week. Others have FBS games on the road which are probably not eligible to be on SoCon GOW. The only 2 home games that week are MH at VMI and Shorter at ETSJ. Pick your portions. Still crazy that VMI has more games than FU and other contenders.
Good point. Knew that road FBS games wouldn't be eligible, but didn't bother to look at the other options. In situations like this, the SoCon should really be able to pivot to a doubleheader one Saturday and just leave Sept. 7 open. Back-to-back SoCon games on TV in the Southeast would be awesome, especially late in the season.

But then, our start times would be dictated more by TV and not fan convenience. And since there's not a lot of money (probably none) coming our way for these games, I would hate for the game times to be determined by TV. These games may even be an expense for the schools. Maybe one of you knows the answer to that.
I hope there is no expense for the teams as that is what the sponsors, commercials are for. Maybe a little money goes to each team but doubt it.
 #15092  by MNORM
 Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:00 pm
Any Given Saturday Poll is out...

AGS Poll Results - WEEK 0 POLL - 2019 SEASON
7/29/2019

Rank Team: Points Votes
1 North Dakota State Bison 2037 59
2 Eastern Washington Eagles 1902 8
3 James Madison Dukes 1888 12
4 South Dakota State Jackrabbits 1836 5
5 UC Davis Aggies 1818
6 Maine Black Bears 1524
7 Weber State Wildcats 1456
8 Wofford Terriers 1420
9 Jacksonville State Gamecocks 1320
10 Nicholls State Colonels 1183
11 Kennesaw State Owls 1118
12 Montana State Bobcats 949
13 Towson Tigers 929
14 Illinois State Redbirds 872
15 Northern Iowa Panthers 780
16 Colgate Raiders 691
17 Furman Paladins 639
18 Elon Phoenix 604
19 Indiana State Sycamores 510
20 Southeast Missouri State Redhawks 441
21 Princeton Tigers 376
22 Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens 367
23 Central Arkansas Bears 346
24 North Carolina A&T Aggies 339
25 Montana Grizzlies 287
26 East Tennessee State Buccaneers 226
27 Stony Brook Seawolves 206
28 Sam Houston State Bearkats 196
29 Dartmouth Big Green 160
30 Duquesne Dukes 93
31 Yale Bulldogs 85
32 Eastern Kentucky Colonels 75
33 Chattanooga Mocs 74
34 Incarnate Word Cardinals 71
35 New Hampshire Wildcats 52
36 San Diego Toreros 52
37 Alcorn State Braves 47
38 Lamar Cardinals 40
39 Samford Bulldogs 33
40 Western Illinois Leathernecks 29
 #15096  by cavedweller2
 Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:04 pm
Switch Furman and Wofford.
Affirm liked this
 #15098  by gofurman
 Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:34 pm
VERY GOOD to see us ranked in most polls... for a long time many denied the importance of the polls - I don't think anyone can deny their importance anymore... or the need to win 7 games (even a weakling game) after last year.
The polls are very indicative of who will make the playoffs (barring a Southland Commissioner railroad...). POLLS MATTER - heck, even if you win the conference the polls still matter in seeding if we were to get that fortunate.

For now it's one game at a time. We haven't won one of our first 3 games in two years if I recall.. Sheesh

AGS Poll Results - WEEK 0 POLL - 2019 SEASON
7/29/2019

Rank Team: Points Votes
1 North Dakota State Bison 2037 59
2 Eastern Washington Eagles 1902 8
3 James Madison Dukes 1888 12
4 South Dakota State Jackrabbits 1836 5
5 UC Davis Aggies 1818
6 Maine Black Bears 1524
7 Weber State Wildcats 1456
8 Wofford Terriers 1420
9 Jacksonville State Gamecocks 1320
10 Nicholls State Colonels 1183
11 Kennesaw State Owls 1118
12 Montana State Bobcats 949
13 Towson Tigers 929
14 Illinois State Redbirds 872
15 Northern Iowa Panthers 780
16 Colgate Raiders 691
17 Furman Paladins 639
18 Elon Phoenix 604
19 Indiana State Sycamores 510
20 Southeast Missouri State Redhawks 441
21 Princeton Tigers 376
22 Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens 367
23 Central Arkansas Bears 346
24 North Carolina A&T Aggies 339
25 Montana Grizzlies 287
26 East Tennessee State Buccaneers 226
27 Stony Brook Seawolves 206
28 Sam Houston State Bearkats 196
29 Dartmouth Big Green 160
30 Duquesne Dukes 93
31 Yale Bulldogs 85
32 Eastern Kentucky Colonels 75
33 Chattanooga Mocs 74
34 Incarnate Word Cardinals 71
35 New Hampshire Wildcats 52
36 San Diego Toreros 52
37 Alcorn State Braves 47
38 Lamar Cardinals 40
39 Samford Bulldogs 33
40 Western Illinois Leathernecks 29
Affirm liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.