• Chattanooga 10/29 - Homecoming

#58962  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:06 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:43 pm
Several guys quietly had pretty good days.

-Cally Chizik had 7 tackles, 1.5 TFLs, and a huge pass break up on the 4th down play late. Edit: I had forgotten it originally but him making the tackle on the UTC screen play where they had FIVE blockers with nothing but green grass in front of them and somehow forgot to block Chizik was another huge play. That was probably going to be a TD.
-Jack Barton only had 2 tackles, but he had 2 balls batted down at the line of scrimmage and blew up his guy to get the blocked FG.
-Kam Brinson only had 5 tackles but it felt like he was around the ball a lot. His tackle on UTCs last drive of the first half was absolutely beautiful. I know it feels weird to say with some of our issues in pass defense this year, but I feel like Brinson (and Ryan) have had pretty solid years.
-Kyndel Dean had 4 catches for 47 yards including that huge one on 3rd down at the end of the game. Even though his block early on drew a blindside block penalty, I liked the tone it set for the day.
-The offensive line only gave up 1 sack and 3 TFLs to UTC's very good defense. And we took some shots down field so it's not like that was because we were only running quick curls and slants. The slot fade to Shifflet and seam route to Miller early were very close to hitting. They weren't perfect. UTC got there a few times but Huff got out of trouble. Still, another solid week for those guys I thought.

The sack wasn't exactly a show stopper either. The UTC defender was just able to grab Huff's shoe and he fell backwards.
 #58965  by gman84
 Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:18 am
I’m all about punishing physical football. That said, I don’t like cheap hits or dirty play. The personal foul on our 3rd down stop was a big blow to absorb. At the time, I was internally critical of our DB. However, I understand that sometimes you have to send a message. I noticed that the coaches weren’t too upset with the play. The rules are all about high scoring games and player safety. We had to send a message yesterday. We did!
 #58967  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:26 am
gman84 wrote:
I’m all about punishing physical football. That said, I don’t like cheap hits or dirty play. The personal foul on our 3rd down stop was a big blow to absorb. At the time, I was internally critical of our DB. However, I understand that sometimes you have to send a message. I noticed that the coaches weren’t too upset with the play. The rules are all about high scoring games and player safety. We had to send a message yesterday. We did!

I think that was a pretty iffy call by the refs.

The ball was tipped at the line, which essentially makes everyone fair game. Chizik hit the only UTC defender in the vicinity of the football. I suppose they felt he hit him too late.

While I don't like penalties (especially drive continuing penalties), I sort of like that UTC walked into Paladin Stadium with a lot of swagger and Furman was unquestionably the more physical football team all day.
Victor Greene, gman84 liked this
 #58970  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:59 am
Another head scratcher for me was why UTC didn’t go for 2 after their last TD. Not much if any difference being down 4 or 5 but huge difference being down 3 vs 4 that late in the game.
Bootie, gofurman liked this
 #58982  by youwouldno
 Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:46 pm
The Jackal wrote:

The ball was tipped at the line, which essentially makes everyone fair game. Chizik hit the only UTC defender in the vicinity of the football. I suppose they felt he hit him too late.

While I don't like penalties (especially drive continuing penalties), I sort of like that UTC walked into Paladin Stadium with a lot of swagger and Furman was unquestionably the more physical football team all day.

To me it looked like a classic "make-up" or "fairness" type call coming right after the UTC targeting. Which doesn't really make sense, since the whole thing with video review is that you get the call right and move on, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Paladins' physical and mental toughness was the difference in the game. Furman's offense made critical plays on the final drive well after UTC's offense was completely spent.

Enjoyed in particular watching Devin Abrams make some decisive plays.
FU3, gman84, Davemeister liked this
 #58987  by FU3
 Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:41 pm
One of the best wins of the CCH era. I thought Cally Chizick kind of exemplified the effort that allowed FU to win this game. His discipline on the flea flicker screen was an absolute defensive gem.
gman84, apaladin, Bootie and 1 others liked this
 #58988  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:47 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:59 am
Another head scratcher for me was why UTC didn’t go for 2 after their last TD. Not much if any difference being down 4 or 5 but huge difference being down 3 vs 4 that late in the game.
Sometimes I never understand how these coaches get paid so much. All the analytics say go for 2. That was a HUGE favor to us. If they get the 2 they could just kick a FG to tie. Would have completely changed the game. Bad call by the UTC coach I think. TV guys etc all agreed.
 #58990  by tim
 Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:59 pm
The Jackal wrote:
gman84 wrote:

It looked as though one official tried to talk the one who dropped the flag out of the call.
 #58991  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:00 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:06 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:43 pm
Several guys quietly had pretty good days.

-Cally Chizik had 7 tackles, 1.5 TFLs, and a huge pass break up on the 4th down play late. Edit: I had forgotten it originally but him making the tackle on the UTC screen play where they had FIVE blockers with nothing but green grass in front of them and somehow forgot to block Chizik was another huge play. That was probably going to be a TD.
-Jack Barton only had 2 tackles, but he had 2 balls batted down at the line of scrimmage and blew up his guy to get the blocked FG.
-Kam Brinson only had 5 tackles but it felt like he was around the ball a lot. His tackle on UTCs last drive of the first half was absolutely beautiful. I know it feels weird to say with some of our issues in pass defense this year, but I feel like Brinson (and Ryan) have had pretty solid years.
-Kyndel Dean had 4 catches for 47 yards including that huge one on 3rd down at the end of the game. Even though his block early on drew a blindside block penalty, I liked the tone it set for the day.
-The offensive line only gave up 1 sack and 3 TFLs to UTC's very good defense. And we took some shots down field so it's not like that was because we were only running quick curls and slants. The slot fade to Shifflet and seam route to Miller early were very close to hitting. They weren't perfect. UTC got there a few times but Huff got out of trouble. Still, another solid week for those guys I thought.

The sack wasn't exactly a show stopper either. The UTC defender was just able to grab Huff's shoe and he fell backwards.
Awesome win. !!!!!. Awesome

But to be fair I think they had ONE sack and we had ZERO sacks. . We will need to find a way to get more QB pressure - what’s weird is we knew they were throwing late in the game (we were running more by then or short throws to run clock) and yet really never got close to the qb. I didn’t even see him get happy feet much. That has to change some. It’s been a pattern for a few games now

Really asking. Anyone know what the issue is with this? We KNEW they were throwing in late game situations as well as many long third downs throughout the game. Heck they changed their MO from run first to bring a throw first team based on success of each throughout game. It sure would help our DBs (who did well) if we could get some hands on the qb some

And we KILLED THEIR RUN.. Wow!!!!! Just.Phenomenal. Love it. I mean we crushed it. Tackles in backfield and great DL work etc. Awesome.
 #58992  by gman84
 Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:17 pm
I think our plan was to keep their qb in the pocket. Don’t allow him to step up and take off for long runs because we over pursued. The times we did blitz they did a great job of protecting him.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.