• Furman Citadel Game Thread

#57812  by Thorny
 Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:26 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:23 pm
Thorny wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:23 am
I'm fine with our coaches and players not being satisfied but our fans saying the sky is falling because we are no beating a conference opponent by enough halfway through the second quarter...At some point it gets to be a bit much.

It wasn't a blow out so there are obvious things for the team to work on but a lot of said things are a lot more subtle than what most fans can point out.

However, there is nothing wrong with beating a conference opponent and arch rival on an away game by 11.
Gotcha. But really I only see sky is falling stuff from maybe 2 or 3 people, and one of them has now retired. Failing to be thrilled is not the same as saying the sky is falling.

I don’t think I’ve seen any body opine that we are regressing. But it isn’t completely clear that we’re improving. I think we are, but I wish we’d make it more obvious.
Football is a game of inches.
 #57836  by gman84
 Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:51 pm
If a fan is dumb enough to go on the field after a game, especially a loss, and verbally give it to players or coaches. Then they should have their a** kicked on the spot!
AstroDin liked this
 #57850  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:06 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:29 am
I think there's a segment of the fan base that is concerned with style points.

This isn't 1988 or 2005.

And, honestly, how would this current forum have reacted in 1985 when Furman lost to Newberry prior to playing for a national title?

How would this forum have reacted in 2004 when we squeaked out a 10-0 win at Elon?

What about after the 2005 Western Carolina debacle?

Were those not objectively "good" football teams? Maybe some of the best teams we've ever fielded? Did every game look sexy?

Why does every win have to look a certain way? What's wrong with just winning?
That’s a valid take. But so is my old take that “just winning” in an EXCITING CLOSE fashion leads to Losing. Close with ETSU. Close with CSU (player admits they thought they could just get off bus and win). Leads to loss with Samford.

Look. It cuts both ways. Let’s use another team for objectivity. When ETSU won all those close games and won the conference - beating us on a last play basically -, Jackal I THINK (if I’m wrong I apologize) you were one of those who said they really weren’t that great or at least not some juggernaut.. . I agreed. They won within conference but weren’t really some dominant team and honestly couldn’t lose for winning as the ball bounced their way in a ton of games . They weren’t NDSU. And what happened? they ESCAPED rd one of playoffs in an absolute miracle and subsequently lost in rd two of the playoffs. Close wins end in losses.

Also, it’s the “issues” and what not, not necessarily “style”. Maybe a good example is that most weeks our basic Furman run game - OL and Roberto - has really struggled. . The Citadel game it was much better. If that - good run by OL and Roberto - continues vs a D like Mercer and Chatt then I will feel much better about things.
 #57864  by Davemeister
 Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:57 am
Roundball wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:33 pm
Even the most negative on this board would never do this, right?
“Citadel coach Brent Thompson addresses ‘heated exchange’ with spectator.” https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/c ... 3560e.html

Thompson said: "If you are a fan, sometimes you need to shut up and move on."

The same can be said for certain coaches.
FUBeAR liked this
 #57884  by Bootie
 Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:49 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

This isn't 1988 or 2005.

And, honestly, how would this current forum have reacted in 1985 when Furman lost to Newberry prior to playing for a national title?

How would this forum have reacted in 2004 when we squeaked out a 10-0 win at Elon?

Were those not objectively "good" football teams? Maybe some of the best teams we've ever fielded? Did every game look sexy?

That’s a valid take. But so is my old take that “just winning” in an EXCITING CLOSE fashion leads to Losing. Close with ETSU. Close with CSU (player admits they thought they could just get off bus and win). Leads to loss with Samford.

Look. It cuts both ways. Let’s use another team for objectivity. When ETSU won all those close games and won the conference - beating us on a last play basically -, Jackal I THINK (if I’m wrong I apologize) you were one of those who said they really weren’t that great or at least not some juggernaut.. . I agreed. They won within conference but weren’t really some dominant team and honestly couldn’t lose for winning as the ball bounced their way in a ton of games . They weren’t NDSU. And what happened? they ESCAPED rd one of playoffs in an absolute miracle and subsequently lost in rd two of the playoffs. Close wins end in losses.

Also, it’s the “issues” and what not, not necessarily “style”. Maybe a good example is that most weeks our basic Furman run game - OL and Roberto - has really struggled. . The Citadel game it was much better. If that - good run by OL and Roberto - continues vs a D like Mercer and Chatt then I will feel much better about things.
"Close wins end in losses"

Let's ponder that line for a while... :)
 #57886  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:49 pm
Bootie wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:49 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

This isn't 1988 or 2005.

"Close wins end in losses"

Let's ponder that line for a while... :)
*presage
 #57902  by Davemeister
 Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:54 am
Unless we receive Pennies From Heaven, my two cents will have to suffice:

The reason there was little Jubilation in Paladin Nation this past Saturday was because we wanted to see our guys go down there, snatch up the 'Dogs by the scruff of their necks, and bring the Purple Hammer down on their thick (but empty) skulls. It caused a bit of Unease that we farted around and took as long as we did to put away a clearly inferior team. Visions of Chuck Southern danced in our heads.

After three close games, most of us wanted an easy one so we could relax with our Purple cocktails or what ever makes us feel right.

In 2017 Citadel came to town in CCH's first year. We scored on every possesion of the first half and went into the locker room with a 35-0 lead. No drama. That's how you deal with Bellhops.

And that's how we should handle those sneaky 'Cats this Saturday. We owe them - for last year and some other stuff.

I'm done, and Charles Dickens couldn't have said it any better.
MNORM liked this
 #57909  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:13 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:54 am
Unless we receive Pennies From Heaven, my two cents will have to suffice:

The reason there was little Jubilation in Paladin Nation this past Saturday was because we wanted to see our guys go down there, snatch up the 'Dogs by the scruff of their necks, and bring the Purple Hammer down on their thick (but empty) skulls. It caused a bit of Unease that we farted around and took as long as we did to put away a clearly inferior team. Visions of Chuck Southern danced in our heads.

After three close games, most of us wanted an easy one so we could relax with our Purple cocktails or what ever makes us feel right.

In 2017 Citadel came to town in CCH's first year. We scored on every possesion of the first half and went into the locker room with a 35-0 lead. No drama. That's how you deal with Bellhops.

And that's how we should handle those sneaky 'Cats this Saturday. We owe them - for last year and some other stuff.

I'm done, and Charles Dickens couldn't have said it any better.

I posted this earlier in the thread, but Furman's 11 point margin of victory Saturday is tied for the biggest margin of victory Furman has had in Charleston over the last 20 years.

I know the fans wanted an easy game, but the overwhelming mountain of evidence suggested that any Furman/Citadel game in Charleston is going to be a four quarter rock fight.
 #57919  by Furmanoid
 Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:56 pm
So people who expect an easy game against the freaking Citadel are too super negative. But expecting to struggle with the Citadel is positive and supportive.
 #57922  by Bootie
 Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:05 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
So people who expect an easy game against the freaking Citadel are too super negative. But expecting to struggle with the Citadel is positive and supportive.
I’d say perhaps never mind the comparison of positive or negative…

It would seem to be a statistical abnormality to go into an FU vs CIT game expecting to win by a lot. So if I wish for something that is not likely to happen, that’s one thing, but to expect it, or get disappointed if it doesn’t happen appears foolish.
gman84, AstroDin liked this
 #57929  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:50 pm
Bootie wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:05 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
I’d say perhaps never mind the comparison of positive or negative…

It would seem to be a statistical abnormality to go into an FU vs CIT game expecting to win by a lot. So if I wish for something that is not likely to happen, that’s one thing, but to expect it, or get disappointed if it doesn’t happen appears foolish.

Correct. The issue is not being positive or negative.

The issue is that despite two decades of evidence to the contrary, some of our fans expect a certain result based on their subjective assessment of how the game should go.

When the game doesn't go according to that pre-determined subjective assessment, said fans proceed to have a complete come-apart on the game thread. Usually before half time of a 4 quarter football game.

If some thought Furman was going to waltz into Charleston and blow out the Citadel in an easy victory, then they aren't paying attention.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:22 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.