• UTC Game Thread

#45531  by Jasper
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:47 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:18 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:45 pm
This is CCH's offense. It didn't work out.

There are really only 2 options -

(1) Who cares? Things continue more or less as they are now, with Furman having the worst offense in full scholarship FCS for the remainder of CCH's contract.
(2) In the off-season, CCH hires an outside OC and gives him control of the offense.

My preferred option would be something different - CCH retires and Vaughn becomes HC, and then hires an outside OC. Maybe CCH stockpiled enough cash while at AF that he doesn't really need the money anymore?

I say "good enough".
I have to say "good enough".
What else can you say?
Option 1, "Who cares?", seems to me to be essentially true.
Yes, there are people who post on UFFP who care and who are much more knowledgeable than I am. There also are people who never come on here who care and who are sorry that Furman football is so mediocre.
The problem seems to me to be that there is not enough money, or potential money, represented by to totality of both of those groups of "caring" people.
Additionally, there is no perception by the powers that be that having mediocre football costs the overall university enough in financial support to other aspects of the overall university to do something about the mediocre football program.
So, the answer has to be, individually, "good enough".
We have a football team.
Good enough.
Even so, I will continued to be interested in reading the thoughts, analyses, and suggestions of the knowledgeable caring people who post on UFFP. So, please keep giving your thoughts about what needs to be do, hopefully combined with consideration of what can be done. Saying something needs to be done does not mean that it can be done.
I would respond to this if I had the faintest clue of what it means. I think you are saying that it is “good enough” just to have a football team. Is that it?
 #45532  by FU3
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:09 pm
CCH is up on Twitter with ( brief) post game comments. He basically said we 1.Played the 1986 Bears 2.We are young 3.Jace missed some throws. How about “ I am HC of this team and I didn’t have them prepared to play today. That is my responsibility and I owe it to these hard working young men to fix this”. This “young” stuff is new and he touted our depth and and young talent this pre season.I don’t think post game screaming and yelling help and I am pretty sure he and his staff are more disappointed than anyone on this board but at least take responsibility after a showing like this.
QCGlue liked this
 #45534  by Jasper
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:39 pm
Total cop out. We are not young We have red shirt juniors and seniors plus some super seniors all over the place. This performance was on Jace? That’s infuriating. Clueless.
 #45535  by dornb
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:55 pm
They said on the radio broadcast that Chattanooga has 5th, 6th, and 7th-year players, I think around 20 of them. There are 25 year-olds on the team. They stressed the difference between an 18-year-old and a 25 -year-old. No wonder they are winning. That is crazy!
 #45536  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:01 pm
To answer Affirm. IMHO money is not the problem.
 #45537  by Sad Din
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:02 pm
Jasper wrote:
Total cop out. We are not young We have red shirt juniors and seniors plus some super seniors all over the place. This performance was on Jace? That’s infuriating. Clueless.
CCH always knows what game it was going to be like. Too bad it doesnt translate into a winning gameplan

SD likes and respects the man. But its clear for the last couple years that something aint clicking
 #45538  by FU3
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:20 pm
dornb wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:55 pm
They said on the radio broadcast that Chattanooga has 5th, 6th, and 7th-year players, I think around 20 of them. There are 25 year-olds on the team. They stressed the difference between an 18-year-old and a 25 -year-old. No wonder they are winning. That is crazy!
Those 18 and 19 year olds from VMI (who wouldn’t get a recruiting form letter from UTC) somehow found a way.
Jasper, fupaladin01 liked this
 #45539  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:36 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:02 pm
Jasper wrote:
CCH always knows what game it was going to be like. Too bad it doesnt translate into a winning gameplan

SD likes and respects the man. But its clear for the last couple years that something aint clicking
Yep it was like he had no expectations to win. Knew the offense would struggle so just call the same 5-6 plays, not worth trying anything different. After we lose at wcu the cop out line will be “You know they have 33 transfers on their team”. Yes they do have 33 transfers.
 #45542  by Affirm
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:59 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:01 pm
To answer Affirm. IMHO money is not the problem.
In that case, you should please tell me what the problem is.
I realize there is(are) a problem(s) that is (are) not money, but ultimately, it exists because we do not have enough money (benefactors demanding) to fire head coaches or even assistant coaches at will.
I am not saying here that any coaches should be fired.
I am also not saying that CCH will not eventually have a good program at Furman if he stays another 5 or 6 years.
I am not even saying that if we had the money, the money should be spent on football.
… Furman is one of the smallest enrollment FCS schools. Of the few schools that are smaller enrollment than Furman, I cannot think of any that have done better in football in the FCS era than Furman. Of the few schools that are smaller enrollment than Furman, I am not sure if any of them are doing better in the present decade than Furman. (Regrettably for us, one of those that are smaller than we are - VMI - is currently making great strides in that direction. We’ll see what 2 weeks from now brings.)
… Small enrollment size does not dictate that a school cannot be good in football compared to larger ones obviously, but it does indicate limitations. It’s not “just an excuse”.
At the same time, I acknowledge that Wake Forest is doing great things - even though I think they are the smallest undergraduate enrollment of all Power Five conference schools. It should be noted that Wake Forest received a $20 million gift for their football program YESTERDAY from an alumnus.
Last edited by Affirm on Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #45543  by Flagman
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:01 pm
Chattanooga quit last spring, and we quit today. Extremely poor clock management at the end. We allowed the clock to run off 40 seconds while Chatty took their time preparing to punt. Not saying we would have been able to do much with those 40 seconds, but nor we’ll never know. Do our coaches think we get extra credit for leaving three timeouts on the scoreboard? Very frustrating for those of us in the stands who endured a miserable afternoon, weather wise, and a disappointing effort on the field.

For a homecoming crowd, Chatty had nothing to brag about, even with the weather conditions.
Paladin575, apaladin, Davemeister and 1 others liked this
 #45548  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:12 pm
Flagman wrote:
Chattanooga quit last spring, and we quit today. Extremely poor clock management at the end. We allowed the clock to run off 40 seconds while Chatty took their time preparing to punt. Not saying we would have been able to do much with those 40 seconds, but nor we’ll never know. Do our coaches think we get extra credit for leaving three timeouts on the scoreboard? Very frustrating for those of us in the stands who endured a miserable afternoon, weather wise, and a disappointing effort on the field.

For a homecoming crowd, Chatty had nothing to brag about, even with the weather conditions.
I had to quit watching but I THINK We punted down 10 w a few minutes? And then just let time run ? I don’t buy the “ you need to learn to coach “. Buddy wanted CCH fired on way to clubhouse. Said fans shouldn’t know better than coaches on football 101. Not talking 3 point stance. He meant use of timeouts etc. Don’t punt down 10 if (I say IF) a few minutes left. We can’t score quickly anyway. That’s a fact
 #45550  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:22 am
Flagman wrote:

You know it’s really bad when the Flagman is upset.
Paladin575, Affirm liked this
 #45551  by FUpaladin08
 Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:32 am
youwouldno wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:45 pm
This is CCH's offense. It didn't work out.

There are really only 2 options -

(1) Who cares? Things continue more or less as they are now, with Furman having the worst offense in full scholarship FCS for the remainder of CCH's contract.
(2) In the off-season, CCH hires an outside OC and gives him control of the offense.

My preferred option would be something different - CCH retires and Vaughn becomes HC, and then hires an outside OC. Maybe CCH stockpiled enough cash while at AF that he doesn't really need the money anymore?
I might try option 2a: is there anyone on staff that can take the offense the rest of the season…ahem…Bratton? We have nothing to lose and it could only get better. GQ was a co-coordinator before so maybe asking for some help might not be a bad idea.

I loathe the idea of firing a HC just bc of the setbacks to the program. Obviously if it isn’t a right fit you take the hit and move on, but I think CCH is still the right guy and he has to understand the abysmal offense (with very talented players) ultimately falls on him. Let’s just see what else we have for the rest of the season in a different play caller.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.