• Reasons for Optimism in Fall 2021?

#42410  by Furmanoid
 Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:53 am
Here’s a little snapshot from a typical SC 4A sized HS. Yesterday in 6 periods I had 57 kids out. An admin came in to look at one of my seating charts which meant they had another positive taking out 3 or 4 more. Office was calling in groups of kids for quarantine all day.

Took a probably inappropriate poll and found a 10-15% vaccination rate. Interestingly the masked kids were noticeably less likely to be vaccinated. So their parents feel the mask works just as well. I wonder how they got that idea? Football players were the most outspoken in crazy theories about vaccinations. No they were not MAGA types. I don’t think we are going to see a lot of serious illness, but this is clearly worse than last year so people are just going to have accept the idea playing with lots of guys missing.
 #42420  by purplehorse
 Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:08 pm
I know someone who has a daughter who goes to a college where the vaccine is mandated if you are in the nursing program. She is. She has a vaccine card which is “proof of vaccination.” Ditto for another family member. Neither have been vaccinated. There in lies part of the problem with all this vaccination stuff.

To be certain a player has been vaccinated you would have to vaccinate them on site at the school (or in the real world at the business where the vaccine is mandated etc.).

Crazy times for sure.
 #42421  by The Jackal
 Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:46 pm
purplehorse wrote:
I know someone who has a daughter who goes to a college where the vaccine is mandated if you are in the nursing program. She is. She has a vaccine card which is “proof of vaccination.” Ditto for another family member. Neither have been vaccinated. There in lies part of the problem with all this vaccination stuff.

To be certain a player has been vaccinated you would have to vaccinate them on site at the school (or in the real world at the business where the vaccine is mandated etc.).

Crazy times for sure.

Sounds like a really good way to get kicked out of the nursing program.
 #42426  by Roundball
 Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:26 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:46 pm
purplehorse wrote:

Crazy times for sure.

Sounds like a really good way to get kicked out of the nursing program.
They should be kicked out and never allowed to be in the medical field.
 #42427  by Furmanoid
 Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:59 am
College and HS age kids just aren’t scared of the virus much at all, but many are scared a little of the vaccine. My college daughter knows many, many people who got infected and almost none felt sick at all. So her uninfected peers aren’t so scared of the virus, but they are scared of getting quarantined because that is a huge hassle. They are getting vaccinated at a decent rate, but holdouts will just get fake vaccination cards to go with their fake ID’s.

I’m noticing that a large number of HS students are ROOTING for a shutdown or return to hybrid scheduling. They actually want to get quarantined. Sitting around the house all day for days on end would have gotten boring in my day, but nowadays they love it. We’ve incentivized infection and lack of distancing. We’ve managed to slow the school spread down enough that it will go on forever while completely wrecking the educational system.
Jasper liked this
 #42430  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:18 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:59 am
College and HS age kids just aren’t scared of the virus much at all, but many are scared a little of the vaccine. My college daughter knows many, many people who got infected and almost none felt sick at all. So her uninfected peers aren’t so scared of the virus, but they are scared of getting quarantined because that is a huge hassle. They are getting vaccinated at a decent rate, but holdouts will just get fake vaccination cards to go with their fake ID’s.

I’m noticing that a large number of HS students are ROOTING for a shutdown or return to hybrid scheduling. They actually want to get quarantined. Sitting around the house all day for days on end would have gotten boring in my day, but nowadays they love it. We’ve incentivized infection and lack of distancing. We’ve managed to slow the school spread down enough that it will go on forever while completely wrecking the educational system.

This is a "tragedy of the commons."

The pandemic still vexes us because many act in their own self interest. The selfishness of humanity during this period has been on full display.

Personally, if a nursing program (a health care profession and arguably one seeing patients) requires vaccines and students are lying about that and falsifying documents, that should be reported. It's illegal and potentially deadly to others.
din23 liked this
 #42431  by Furmanoid
 Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:23 am
People act like people. The “public health experts” never seemed to understand that. Remedies that only work if people don’t act like people aren’t very effective. We’ve spent 9 months badgering people and insulting them for not getting vaccinated. Big surprise: it made them dig in their heels. We have other groups of people who get a pass because of imaginary lack of access. We see pretty much no effort to persuade them. The sales campaign for this lifesaving vaccine has to be the worst in history. How could it be so hard to sell a free product that saves your life? But the sales effort is spearheaded by a guy who is trusted by maybe 50% of the country on his best day and despised by the other 50%. And he is supposed to persuade 80%. How stupid is that? Why not Shaq or Jennifer Garner or Samuel L. Jackson or Peyton Manning? But no, we just send out Fauci to scold Bubba again and again like that’s gonna persuade him.

At this point it’s almost too late. The delta is going to do the job of immunization the hard way. In SC at least it can’t last more than couple more months, maybe not that long if we keep the schools open as alternative immunization clinics. Sorry to keep venting, but I have very little optimism.
 #42432  by FurmAlum
 Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:44 am
"Bubba's" employer needs make him pay $200 a month more for health insurance because he is unvaccinated aka Delta Airlines.

Time for some tough love.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.