• #7 Furman @ #20 Wofford (Nov. 16)(SoCon Championship Game)

#20435  by Flagman
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:40 pm
Just took a look at the seating chart. Way too many seats on the visitors' side. I hope there will be a good walk-up crowd of Paladins.
MNORM liked this
 #20437  by Bootie
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:55 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:45 pm
Flagman wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:24 pm
My history of attendance is well known. I have chosen to watch from the stands. My Paladin Club donation could be much higher if I chose to watch from home, but every coach has told me that presence in the stands is better that money in supporting the program. That is a choice we made. I understand everyone has to make their own choices. We’ll be in the stands with two more. I want to be there when something special happens. Tomorrow is going to be special.
You're right, it should be a great game tomorrow!
But many are not as invested in this thing as those of us on this site, thus I can see why there has been such few ticket sales so far on the FU side, as some more casual FU people would balk at bringing their family with those inflated prices. Partly also why we never bring any extra local fans to home games anymore, people just are not willing to pay $25 per ticket to watch SoCon football, that's partly why we have 10,000 empty seats in Paladin Stadium for every game. SoCon football ticket price belong in the $15 range if we ever want to bring in some of the more casual fans, that's the truth in this day and age.
I'm not sure how to measure something like potential ticket sales with varying prices, and I could be wrong here, but I can't imagine there's a significant number of fans who would choose to come to the game if it was $10 cheaper. I would imagine weather or TV availability probably has a bigger effect on the casual, walk-up fan rather than price.
 #20438  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:28 pm
Bootie wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:55 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:45 pm
Flagman wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:24 pm
My history of attendance is well known. I have chosen to watch from the stands. My Paladin Club donation could be much higher if I chose to watch from home, but every coach has told me that presence in the stands is better that money in supporting the program. That is a choice we made. I understand everyone has to make their own choices. We’ll be in the stands with two more. I want to be there when something special happens. Tomorrow is going to be special.
You're right, it should be a great game tomorrow!
But many are not as invested in this thing as those of us on this site, thus I can see why there has been such few ticket sales so far on the FU side, as some more casual FU people would balk at bringing their family with those inflated prices. Partly also why we never bring any extra local fans to home games anymore, people just are not willing to pay $25 per ticket to watch SoCon football, that's partly why we have 10,000 empty seats in Paladin Stadium for every game. SoCon football ticket price belong in the $15 range if we ever want to bring in some of the more casual fans, that's the truth in this day and age.
I'm not sure how to measure something like potential ticket sales with varying prices, and I could be wrong here, but I can't imagine there's a significant number of fans who would choose to come to the game if it was $10 cheaper. I would imagine weather or TV availability probably has a bigger effect on the casual, walk-up fan rather than price.
If you are a casual fan with a family of 4 for example then $40 more could certainly make a huge difference in you deciding to do other things, again our extreme lack of successful attendance figures would support my claim that the product is overpriced and hindering our ability to bring in more than just the usual FU supporters, same deal with Wofford's ticket prices, bottom line SoCon football should be a better bargain if it wants to attract more fan support
 #20440  by Bootie
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:42 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
If you are a casual fan with a family of 4 for example then $40 more could certainly make a huge difference in you deciding to do other things, again our extreme lack of successful attendance figures would support my claim that the product is overpriced and hindering our ability to bring in more than just the usual FU supporters, same deal with Wofford's ticket prices, bottom line SoCon football should be a better bargain if it wants to attract more fan support
Just because attendance figures are lower than previous years, that does not necessarily support any specific claim as to the reason why without any data to back it up. It MIGHT be ticket prices, but without data being able to support that claim or to rule out other possibilities, it's just speculation at this point.
 #20441  by cavedweller2
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:00 pm
Being there in person for a championship is too much fun to pass up. We win tomorrow we will be UNDISPUTED SoCon Champs. Seeded playoff team and a first round bye. No Mercy. Execute our will upon them.

It will be perfect weather for Football.
FUpaladin08, AstroDin and 1 others liked this
 #20442  by FUBeAR
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:01 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
#LeaveNoDoubt
 #20445  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:01 pm
Bootie wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
Just because attendance figures are lower than previous years, that does not necessarily support any specific claim as to the reason why without any data to back it up. It MIGHT be ticket prices, but without data being able to support that claim or to rule out other possibilities, it's just speculation at this point.

Not speculation, I know actual human beings that are not coming because SoCon football at nearly $30 a pop is over priced, can't get any more specific data than that, if FU/Wofford/ect. lowered tickets prices more people would show up during the course of the season

And yes of course the weather needs to be nice and we need to keep winning, all of these things matter
 #20470  by gofurman
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:18 pm
Bootie wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:39 am
I’m alway nervous when we play these ankle biters. I love what we’ve got in this team but anything can happen. Really looking forward to this game.
THIS. there is a reason they say "any given Saturday" - I had no idea we would lose to Citadel and we had beaten them 2 straight. Hendrix had never (granted twice but still..) lost to Citadel. He is 1-2 v Woff

Hope we win.
 #20472  by gofurman
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:21 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:00 pm
Being there in person for a championship is too much fun to pass up. We win tomorrow we will be UNDISPUTED SoCon Champs. Seeded playoff team and a first round bye. No Mercy. Execute our will upon them.

It will be perfect weather for Football.
Hope so CD ! Either way though it's a good season and we are doing great things:

2017 Playoffs for first time in several years
2018 SoCon Champs
2019 ?

will say the win at Chatt was HUGE -great comeback win - because it does give us cushion to probably make playoffs at 8-4 If we lose. Think we can win but we have more cushion than Woff. They lose to us or Citadel and are probably out of playoffs.
 #20477  by apaladin
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:28 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:01 pm
Bootie wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:

Not speculation, I know actual human beings that are not coming because SoCon football at nearly $30 a pop is over priced, can't get any more specific data than that, if FU/Wofford/ect. lowered tickets prices more people would show up during the course of the season

And yes of course the weather needs to be nice and we need to keep winning, all of these things matter
You forgot, everything at work needs to be going well, everyone feels great, all the kids are doing well in school, the groceries have been bought, the cars are ok, the house is clean, nothing on TV to watch, no good movies to see, no concerts or shows in town, they've had a nap, the weather is not only good but perfect, all the hay is in the barn etc. If all that is good they might consider coming to a game. :D Oh yeh, I forgot most FU alumni if they like football are going to Clempson and SC games. My next door neighbor is one of these. A FU grad and goes to all CU home games. I don't think he has ever gone to a FU game.

Some suggestion:
1. Open up public parking on the home side. It is half empty or more for home games.
2. Make tickets available at the stadium for walk ups.
3. Stop charging for parking.
 #20481  by gofurman
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:01 pm
This was probably mentioned before and if so I apologize (and may not be correct as our two-deep is sketchy at times) but I noticed they have McKoy as starter LB. FUBeAR and others aptly noted Woff is more speed and Citadel more brute force - also McKoy has several games vs the plays of Woff in his tenure. Wonder if he is the starter v Woff for more speed as Gilby is bigger but McKoy maybe faster?

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.