• Kennesaw State - Sept. 16

#75756  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:25 pm
Good win. Not perfect, but beat a good team on the road.

Offense looked good at times and a bit conservative at times.

Defense looked good at times. They let KSU do what they do best on a few long plays. They played well most of the game, and got beat on a couple of drives.

Great last drive to finish off the game.
din23 liked this
 #75758  by Paladin83
 Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:30 pm
Underwhelming performance across the board. Good to get the win, but three weeks in we do not look like a top 10 or even top 20 team.
bj93 liked this
 #75759  by FU3
 Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:32 pm
Long season and we are 2-1.Didn’t play anywhere near our potential but found a way for the W. Kind of reminds me of Charleston Southern game last year. Hope our play calling gets a little less conservative because we have some real weapons on O that can stretch these run stopping schemes we are facing.
bj93, din23 liked this
 #75761  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:35 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:14 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:59 pm
Offense has moved it. Defense has played well. Would like to get a two score lead, though.
There’s your 2 score lead but can’t let up. Put the hammer down!
Super glad we won. Not sure if we started playing not to lose but all of a sudden our stalwart D gave up TD drives. 7 points in half 1. 21 in half two

We did send heat on qb but most times never quite got him (1 or 2 sacks maybe Vs the FIVE UTC got?). He was able to evade our pressure and hit some long passes.

Glad we won. Need more consistent OL push and better pass coverage on D. Otherwise good stuff. Will say UTC seemed to never be threatened by these guys. But this was on road. Woulda really helped to hold onto an Interception earlier in game. Dropped two or three we could have used. Thank you Mr CHIZIK for that last one !
I too thought a score lead was solid but then our defense let up. They discovered they should pass deep (like others have) and set an all time KSU passin record I think. Oh man. And yes I know they have been triple option for years. Still once they hit a few deep shots they were able to bust some big runs. Especially on third and long !!!!!! Two or three times they made a run for third and ten or more

Number 1 can fly. SPEED KILLS. We weren’t catching him on that TD run

Funny. As soon as they had to replace all their starting OL their offense got better!!
That’s strange.
 #75762  by Afurmanfan
 Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:45 pm
Some people can’t be happy with a good win over a tough opponent. Clutch drive when we had to have one. Clutch turnover when we needed one. Good teams find a way to win when they don’t play great. Give KSU credit- they have some good football players but WE WON!!
dornb liked this
 #75766  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:08 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:19 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:15 pm
Why did we not kick it out of the end zone??
I don't think it's intentional. Sometimes he kicks it into the end zone. Sometimes he doesn't.
It looked intentional, looked to me he didn’t put his full effort into it.
 #75770  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:15 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:08 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:19 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:15 pm
Why did we not kick it out of the end zone??
I don't think it's intentional. Sometimes he kicks it into the end zone. Sometimes he doesn't.
It looked intentional, looked to me he didn’t put his full effort into it.

I don't know if Furman has special calls on whether to kick the ball out of the end zone, but I cannot see why they'd intentionally kick a low kick to the most dangerous player on the other team in a tight game.
 #75772  by FurmAlum
 Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:31 pm
SD said it. Whew twice! Wasn't pretty but KSU is a good almost FBS team.

I'll take the road win.
 #75774  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:33 pm
KSU is generally a top 20 FCS team. They gave us their best shot and played everyone they had against us.

It's a good win by any measure.
dornb liked this
 #75786  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:29 pm
Just a few thoughts, post-game:

1. The last two games, we've seen the offense click a good bit more. When we moved the ball, we moved it well. After the first few drives, we started to use KSU's aggressiveness against them and hit on some short passes and screens that forced them to back off. Then we were able to run the ball.

2. When Huff gets loose, you can see how dangerous he is in the open fields. Defenses are doing everything they can to try to keep him in the pocket.

3. Defense mostly played well. They let KSU pop a few big plays, but that's basically how KSU makes hay - lot of quick edge stuff and then popping an RPO for big yards. They caught us napping on the long TD run - I'm not sure anyone expected a run on 3rd and 6 trailing late in the game. They made the big plays when they needed to and held KSU to 2/10 on third downs.

4. I think KSU is an objectively good team for our level. This wasn't going to be a cake walk, especially on the road. I've said this before, but we're the top game on every team's schedule this year. We're going to get everyone's best shot.

5. It was good to see Anderson, Maier, and Norman back in the lineup. Gissinger appeared to be dressed out, but didn't play.

6. The meat of the season starts next week with Mercer. Will be nice to get back home and host a big conference game.
apaladin liked this
 #75791  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:11 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:29 pm
Just a few thoughts, post-game:

1. The last two games, we've seen the offense click a good bit more. When we moved the ball, we moved it well. After the first few drives, we started to use KSU's aggressiveness against them and hit on some short passes and screens that forced them to back off. Then we were able to run the ball.

2. When Huff gets loose, you can see how dangerous he is in the open fields. Defenses are doing everything they can to try to keep him in the pocket.

3. Defense mostly played well. They let KSU pop a few big plays, but that's basically how KSU makes hay - lot of quick edge stuff and then popping an RPO for big yards. They caught us napping on the long TD run - I'm not sure anyone expected a run on 3rd and 6 trailing late in the game. They made the big plays when they needed to and held KSU to 2/10 on third downs.

4. I think KSU is an objectively good team for our level. This wasn't going to be a cake walk, especially on the road. I've said this before, but we're the top game on every team's schedule this year. We're going to get everyone's best shot.

5. It was good to see Anderson, Maier, and Norman back in the lineup. Gissinger appeared to be dressed out, but didn't play.

6. The meat of the season starts next week with Mercer. Will be nice to get back home and host a big conference game.
Have to disagree with #3, the defense did not play mostly well. KSU got 490 yds of offense, they got under 300 vs UTC last week. UTC had 5 sacks, we had one. They were good on 3rd down holdng KSU to 2-10. They didn’t have that many third downs because we kept giving up big plays. Those 2 runs up the middle on third and long almost cost us the game. One went for 20 yds and one went for 50 yds and a TD, where the runner was never touched. We never saw that last year IIRC. The D really needs to get better as I am afraid we will see several offenses better than KSU. Gotta stop giving up so many big yardage plays.