• #7 Furman @ #20 Wofford (Nov. 16)(SoCon Championship Game)

#20414  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:13 am
AstroDin wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:47 am
my guess is there would be some walk-up sales for Furman -- still have faith we will have a big showing.
Let's be honest guys, one of the reason's FU / Wofford / other SoCon teams attendance figures stink is because ticket prices are a bit high.
Its costing me $112 for 4 tickets to this Wofford game, its a great game for the championship, but given demand ect. these tickets should realistically be closer to $15 each, that's just the truth.
gman, Riz Dawg liked this
 #20416  by gman
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:23 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
my guess is there would be some walk-up sales for Furman -- still have faith we will have a big showing.
Let's be honest guys, one of the reason's FU / Wofford / other SoCon teams attendance figures stink is because ticket prices are a bit high.
Its costing me $112 for 4 tickets to this Wofford game, its a great game for the championship, but given demand ect. these tickets should realistically be closer to $15 each, that's just the truth.
Spot on. There is no way I am paying $54.00 for 2 tickets plus $10.00 for parking when I can sit in my easy chair in a warm home and watch the game.
 #20417  by FUBeAR
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:45 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:45 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:28 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:45 am
Defensively, we are going to have to get off blocks. Our LBs are going to have to avoid getting cut as they scrape to the edge. Our CBs are going to have to turn plays inside and not let Wofford get around the edge. They're quick in space.

We have to tackle and limit the chunk plays. This is not the Wofford offense we are used to seeing - their "fullback" carries the ball about half as often as last year. This is a team that wants to get athletes in space and pop off big plays. We need to keep them in predictable situations.

This is just my observation, but it seems the best way to disrupt Furman's offense is to attack the backfield hard off the edge. Furman has seemed to try and counter this the last few weeks with more designed QB runs and midline options up the middle. Wofford is going to have stop our "inside drill" first and then get us in predictable passing situations.

When you look at the season, though, our offense is at its best when involving Gordon/Miller/Deluca. Get those guys the ball.
Jackal has been doing some solid film study. Nice work. Exactly right. I would add that FU’s DL will need to keep the wifffy OL from climbing to 2nd & 3rd levels. As they either hit the hole or get the ball to the edge so quickly, their OL ain’t studyin’ no backside blocks on DLmen. They figger their opponents’ fat boyz ain’t fast enough to catch their balltoters from behind or down the line...so FU DLmen will need to engage the wooferton fat boyz before they can release playside or pursue like crazy with speed...or both.
Just a random example off Twitter. Nothing complex about this - QB sweep. There's not even a play fake. Just tuck and go.

End gets hooked and both LBs get cut - one by fullback and one by C. Safety ends up with QB and pitch man because no one else got over there.

Just another one - jet sweep. UTC has 4 or 5 guys with a clear shot at the ball carrier and don't get him down.

Make tackles. Get off blocks.
Ooooh...and you were doing so well...these are both option plays.

The 1st one is Speed Option with a G and Lead Scheme. Ends up being a bit like what CIT does with Rainey except Newman is more likely to pitch & with CIT the ‘pitch man’ is really just another blocker. So, instead of pitching off DE as in ‘traditional’ option, they want to take it further down the line as p/s G has DE, the RB (Lead) has next man out (LB), and QB is ‘pitching off’ Safety.

The 2nd one is QB Power O(ption) & he is reading the DE. If DE goes with sweeping back, he ‘blocks’ himself & QB follows OG, just like the RB would in Power scheme. If DE squeezes down, RB/WR gets the ball.
 #20419  by Flagman
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:04 pm
And the striped shirts missed the blatant block in the back. Hopefully, the SoCon sends its best officiating crew to this game. Then again, their best is likely not good enough.
QCGlue, FUpaladin08, FUBeAR and 2 others liked this
 #20420  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:37 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:45 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:45 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:28 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:45 am
Defensively, we are going to have to get off blocks. Our LBs are going to have to avoid getting cut as they scrape to the edge. Our CBs are going to have to turn plays inside and not let Wofford get around the edge. They're quick in space.

We have to tackle and limit the chunk plays. This is not the Wofford offense we are used to seeing - their "fullback" carries the ball about half as often as last year. This is a team that wants to get athletes in space and pop off big plays. We need to keep them in predictable situations.

This is just my observation, but it seems the best way to disrupt Furman's offense is to attack the backfield hard off the edge. Furman has seemed to try and counter this the last few weeks with more designed QB runs and midline options up the middle. Wofford is going to have stop our "inside drill" first and then get us in predictable passing situations.

When you look at the season, though, our offense is at its best when involving Gordon/Miller/Deluca. Get those guys the ball.
Jackal has been doing some solid film study. Nice work. Exactly right. I would add that FU’s DL will need to keep the wifffy OL from climbing to 2nd & 3rd levels. As they either hit the hole or get the ball to the edge so quickly, their OL ain’t studyin’ no backside blocks on DLmen. They figger their opponents’ fat boyz ain’t fast enough to catch their balltoters from behind or down the line...so FU DLmen will need to engage the wooferton fat boyz before they can release playside or pursue like crazy with speed...or both.
Just a random example off Twitter. Nothing complex about this - QB sweep. There's not even a play fake. Just tuck and go.

End gets hooked and both LBs get cut - one by fullback and one by C. Safety ends up with QB and pitch man because no one else got over there.

Just another one - jet sweep. UTC has 4 or 5 guys with a clear shot at the ball carrier and don't get him down.

Make tackles. Get off blocks.
Ooooh...and you were doing so well...these are both option plays.

The 1st one is Speed Option with a G and Lead Scheme. Ends up being a bit like what CIT does with Rainey except Newman is more likely to pitch & with CIT the ‘pitch man’ is really just another blocker. So, instead of pitching off DE as in ‘traditional’ option, they want to take it further down the line as p/s G has DE, the RB (Lead) has next man out (LB), and QB is ‘pitching off’ Safety.

The 2nd one is QB Power O(ption) & he is reading the DE. If DE goes with sweeping back, he ‘blocks’ himself & QB follows OG, just like the RB would in Power scheme. If DE squeezes down, RB/WR gets the ball.
Besides the poor tackling, UTC looked like they had a good scheme.

On the jet sweep/option play, the OLB blitzes into the motion. Not sure if that was the call presnap or whether he was instructed to fire upon seeing the jet motion across the formation.

In any event, Wofford doesn't block the DE and the TE/H-Back can't reach the linebacker. UTC's got two men in the backfield unblocked and neither of them can make the tackle.

I agree too with Flagman. Not sure how the WR isn't flagged for blocking in the back. Ref is right in front of him.
 #20422  by FUBeAR
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:37 pm
Flagman wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:04 pm
And the striped shirts missed the blatant block in the back. Hopefully, the SoCon sends its best officiating crew to this game. Then again, their best is likely not good enough.
Are you not aware of their “Block in the Back” waiver that they have in addition to their DPI waiver? They also have an “Illegal Block” waiver & an “Offensive Holding” waiver. In fact, that last waiver includes penalizing the opponent for the infraction woooffeee committed.

Last week, their OT grabbed a Mercer DE around his back and clutched down on his jersey - the back number part of the jersey - on a speed option play that Mercer stopped for a gain of 2 yards, even though the wooof OT completely pancaked the Mercer DE he had so firmly held in his clutches.

But...the Back Judge saw the foul from 30 yards away and, of course, called Holding...Defensive Holding - on the Mercer DE, who was pancaked...Defensive Holding - on a running play.

1st down ratpups!

There truly is no bottom to their incompetence, nor to the level they will stoop to favor & protect the SoCon’s Hometown Team!
 #20423  by Buddy Cucharas
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:48 pm
I'm predicting the Paladins will be victorious on Saturday. One reason is this "jet sweep" cited above (although I admit this is new to me - I've always thought it a fly sweep when the receiver is in motion and gets that darn football). But the defense for a jet sweep is so easy to set up, and so easy to adjust to. Its the same defense for all possum offences. I've come to understand there's two main types of defenses to combat this. The first is the stick, either pointy or whacky. The other is called fire. (Interestingly, the great Greg Pleasant of Cleveland Ohio has remarked extensively on this subject.) The point is this, when the receiver gets the ball you simply start pounding the shiznits out of him and don't stop even if he hisses at you, foams at the mouth, are starts to smell real bad. Then you set a fire. QED.
FUBeAR, Bootie liked this
 #20425  by MNORM
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:53 pm
gman wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:23 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
Spot on. There is no way I am paying $54.00 for 2 tickets plus $10.00 for parking when I can sit in my easy chair in a warm home and watch the game.
After an annual Paladin Club donation (even at my paltry Blue Lot level), the price for two Furman home tickets amounts to roughly $56.60 per game. The difference essentially amounts to being charged to park at Wofford. This is the biggest regular season game in over a decade. This group deserves our support now more than ever. Personally, I think $8-10 is a small price to pay. Not judging...you do you. I just have a difficult time wrapping my head around not supporting the team, in person, over a value meal at Chik-fil-a or a few draft beers.
FUBeAR liked this
 #20426  by Flagman
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:24 pm
My history of attendance is well known. I have chosen to watch from the stands. My Paladin Club donation could be much higher if I chose to watch from home, but every coach has told me that presence in the stands is better that money in supporting the program. That is a choice we made. I understand everyone has to make their own choices. We’ll be in the stands with two more. I want to be there when something special happens. Tomorrow is going to be special.
Paladin82, Paladin575, MNORM liked this
 #20428  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:45 pm
Flagman wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:24 pm
My history of attendance is well known. I have chosen to watch from the stands. My Paladin Club donation could be much higher if I chose to watch from home, but every coach has told me that presence in the stands is better that money in supporting the program. That is a choice we made. I understand everyone has to make their own choices. We’ll be in the stands with two more. I want to be there when something special happens. Tomorrow is going to be special.
You're right, it should be a great game tomorrow!
But many are not as invested in this thing as those of us on this site, thus I can see why there has been such few ticket sales so far on the FU side, as some more casual FU people would balk at bringing their family with those inflated prices. Partly also why we never bring any extra local fans to home games anymore, people just are not willing to pay $25 per ticket to watch SoCon football, that's partly why we have 10,000 empty seats in Paladin Stadium for every game. SoCon football ticket price belong in the $15 range if we ever want to bring in some of the more casual fans, that's the truth in this day and age.
FUBeAR liked this
 #20430  by fupaladin01
 Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:51 pm
I will be there with 4 friends from the 00'-01 classes. We're enjoying seeing some of the quality football that we had during our years at FU. FWIW, i watched a little bit of practice yesterday, and Hamp threw some nice balls and Grainger made some nice option runs/pitches. The guys looked loose and confident. FU by 2 scores tomorrow.
Flagman, Chuckles, AstroDin and 2 others liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.