• Around the SoCon

#47022  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:21 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:00 pm
I think we are better than at least 4 teams in the playoffs. That would be Davidson, Sacred Heart, Holy Cross, and FL A&M. I think we would hold our own against UT Martin, SE LA, Montana St. and Kenn St. and did against ETSU which we had beat until we mucked it up. Mercer, VMI, and Chatty are better too, but I can't prove it.

We may be closer than anybody thinks but its hard to tell since our only FCS losses were to SoCon teams.

We are one good QB away from being verygood and that QB may very well be Jace.

Would CCH take a Liam Welch quality Grad transfer if he could land one and let J redshirt next year?
CCH has said they are going to keep an eye out on the transfer portal. I think they'll look at every opportunity.

I had neglected to remember this, but remember Furman did take a QB transfer in 2019 (Shiflett) and then again in 2021 (Colt Minson). Neither worked out at the position, but certainly suggests that Furman is open to doing that.

I think 4 scholarship QBs on roster would be a good thing. I also believe the days of a guy like Ingle Martin transferring to an FCS school are behind us, though.
 #47036  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:55 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:14 pm
Just a note, but Samford lost to UT-M in a very close game earlier in the season. It looked as a bad loss at the time, but also potentially suggests some of the SoCon depth.

A lot of our collective hopes rest on ETSU. If they can somehow get rid of constant burr in the saddle Kennesaw, then that will help raise the profile some.
KSU is 5-1 all-time against the SoCon and undefearted in the playoffs in their young existance. Their only loss was double OT loss at ETSU back in ‘16.
 #47037  by MNORM
 Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:32 am
The Jackal wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:
I think we are better than at least 4 teams in the playoffs. That would be Davidson, Sacred Heart, Holy Cross, and FL A&M. I think we would hold our own against UT Martin, SE LA, Montana St. and Kenn St. and did against ETSU which we had beat until we mucked it up. Mercer, VMI, and Chatty are better too, but I can't prove it.

We may be closer than anybody thinks but its hard to tell since our only FCS losses were to SoCon teams.

Would CCH take a Liam Welch quality Grad transfer if he could land one and let J redshirt next year?
CCH has said they are going to keep an eye out on the transfer portal. I think they'll look at every opportunity.

I had neglected to remember this, but remember Furman did take a QB transfer in 2019 (Shiflett) and then again in 2021 (Colt Minson). Neither worked out at the position, but certainly suggests that Furman is open to doing that.

I think 4 scholarship QBs on roster would be a good thing. I also believe the days of a guy like Ingle Martin transferring to an FCS school are behind us, though.
Anyone have thoughts on Luke Doty (South Carolina)? I get the feeling he may end up buried on their depth chart.
Maybe reunite with his friend and HS Center (Evan Jumper).
 #47038  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:06 pm
MNORM wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:32 am
The Jackal wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:

Anyone have thoughts on Luke Doty (South Carolina)? I get the feeling he may end up buried on their depth chart.
Maybe reunite with his friend and HS Center (Evan Jumper).
Would he be an upgrade?
 #47041  by Furmanoid
 Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:15 pm
Is it better to get rejects from FBS or get one of the top guys from DII (if they want to move up)?
 #47042  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:29 pm
Oklahoma QB Spencer Rattler has entered the portal. He got a lot of money for the NIL thingy and promptly lost his starting job. Imagine that.
 #47046  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:09 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Is it better to get rejects from FBS or get one of the top guys from DII (if they want to move up)?
SoCon's second team All SoCon QB this year was a DII transfer.
 #47047  by FUBeAR
 Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:53 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:09 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
SoCon's second team All SoCon QB this year was a DII transfer.
D2 QB Finalist for Harlon Hill Trophy (D2 Payton Award…or Heisman, if you roll that way; FUBeAR doesn’t) this year is a Transfer from a SoCon School, who walked on @ that SoCon school, after never starting in HS. Due to injuries, he played some in the SoCon…even started some, but never was very effective…before he was ‘buried on the depth chart.’

That 2nd Team All SoCon QB mentioned was a Harlon Hill recipient and was HIGHLY-celebrated in D2 for multiple years. IFO, he struggled early adapting his game to the speed of DLMen & LB’s in the FCS, as well as the Athleticism of FCS DB’s. That said, he is an excellent QB, who adjusted & adapted his game fairly quickly leading to the 2nd Team All SoCon honors. And, in his case, he had QB’d for his WCU OC for 4 or 5 years in 2 different programs…and for WCU’s HC for 3 or 4 years at 1 of those schools. Truly a special case D2 QB ‘move-up.’

Bottom line…if FU were to take an XFer QB…not saying that we should or need to…being able to pick up an FBS or FCS Transfer…who is ‘buried on the depth chart’ for GOOD REASON …think Justin Fields, for example (not a likely FCS transfer, but ‘buried’ for good reason)…is, IFO, the preferred route.
 #47052  by FurmAlum
 Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:49 pm
My hunch is CCH should take a transfer QB only if he is an Ingle Martin/Liam Welch quality player because I think J is gonna be the man.
AstroDin, gman84 liked this
 #47054  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:26 pm
FCS schools had a big advantage when FBS players could transfer down and not have to sit out a year. Now they can transfer when and wherever without sitting a year. You won’t see many FBS to FCS transfers now
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #47057  by Paul C
 Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:10 pm
In todays landscape, Ingle Martin and Chris Forcier don’t happen.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #47060  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:26 am
Paul C wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:10 pm
In todays landscape, Ingle Martin and Chris Forcier don’t happen.
It truly is wild.

From just a distant view, I would guess that just FCS players in the transfer portal have to number in the several hundred.

Seems like simple math would suggest they all cannot transfer. Especially the grad students. I do see where, as Hendrix noted, there are going to be teams that primarily build their recruitment off of these portal guys.
 #47062  by Furmanoid
 Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:29 am
Seems like it would really help on the O line. When you get HS boys it takes at least a year to grow them big enough and strong enough. And they may still lack the quick feet and mean streak to be effective players. But now you can look around for diamonds somebody else found in the rough and developed into good players. All you have to do is steal them.
 #47168  by FUBeAR
 Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:55 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:53 pm
Bottom line…if FU were to take an XFer QB…not saying that we should or need to…being able to pick up an FBS or FCS Transfer…who is ‘buried on the depth chart’ for GOOD REASON …think Justin Fields, for example (not a likely FCS transfer, but ‘buried’ for good reason)…is, IFO, the preferred route.
This MIGHT be one of the type described above…MIGHT be…

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.