• In game thread

#78015  by youwouldno
 Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:22 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:42 am
Some WCU fans blaming the loss of being down a healthy starting RB and one offensive lineman.

A healthy Reid may have made a big difference. Injuries are part of football, and I thought the #2 guy was pretty good for them. Furman is not an easy defense to run against, so who knows how much of a difference it would have made in the grand scheme of things.

Furman, of course, was also down a starting offensive lineman as well as our #2, #3, and #4 running backs. We have a wide receiver filling in as Roberto's backup and still ran for 341 yards. So, it's not like WCU got the fully healthy Furman offense either.

I don't think we have to really play the injury game here - the paladins are just obviously the better team. It was pretty obvious before the game and very obvious during. Only a bizarre day on ST really let WCU hang around. At their own place, in their biggest game in years or decades.

Reid is a great player but nowhere near enough to make up the difference, aside from which maybe WCU shouldn't have handed him the ball so many times when comfortably ahead ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ hopefully he fully recovers for the playoffs.
FUBeAR, dornb liked this
 #78018  by FUBeAR
 Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:28 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:55 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:59 pm
Can’t say enough about the defense and even though the offense left a few points on the field it moved the ball all day. Correct me if I am wrong but I don’t believe the offense had a single 3 and out all day. Very impressive. Barring a monumental upset, should have at least a share of the title but let’s finish this. We want the stand alone title.
We aren't sharing anything. We want it all!
Davemeister liked this
 #78027  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:39 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:22 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Some WCU fans blaming the loss of being down a healthy starting RB and one offensive lineman.

A healthy Reid may have made a big difference. Injuries are part of football, and I thought the #2 guy was pretty good for them. Furman is not an easy defense to run against, so who knows how much of a difference it would have made in the grand scheme of things.

Furman, of course, was also down a starting offensive lineman as well as our #2, #3, and #4 running backs. We have a wide receiver filling in as Roberto's backup and still ran for 341 yards. So, it's not like WCU got the fully healthy Furman offense either.

I don't think we have to really play the injury game here - the paladins are just obviously the better team. It was pretty obvious before the game and very obvious during. Only a bizarre day on ST really let WCU hang around. At their own place, in their biggest game in years or decades.

Reid is a great player but nowhere near enough to make up the difference, aside from which maybe WCU shouldn't have handed him the ball so many times when comfortably ahead ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ hopefully he fully recovers for the playoffs.
I will say people underestimate the difference one guy makes. Having 55 back on our OL is HUGE. Reid burnt out LB for a 40 yard reception in only a few plays. Maybe he gets them a few more first downs ? That’s certainly probable. Then we don’t have the ball. Then maybe they are up 1 instead of down 6. Totally different game. Totally different. I’ve seen it both for and against us. Injuries are huge
 #78029  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:43 pm
wcugrad95 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:42 pm
Congrats to the Paladins. I think WCU (espcially on D) was a little too hyped up and were not ready to start this game. Some of you brought that up about WCU's lack of big game experience. I thought both teams settled down a lot on defense in the second half. WCU's turnover at the 1 really killed us, but no doubt FU was the better team today. I certainly think Reid would have made a difference, as you guys play very good run defense but we were totally one dimensional today and he would have given us a much better chance.

Hopefully with a close game here Furman climbs and WCU doesn't drop too far. It would be really cool to see these two teams again in the playoffs. Good luck the rest of the way.
Thanks for your posts WCUgrad

Appreciate hearing from other fans. Don’t understand why some fans think the board is just for them. Lol. Good to have discussion.

Hope both teams are in playoffs and win some games
dornb, wcugrad95, QCGlue liked this
 #78031  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:17 pm
The Jackal wrote:

According to WCU fans(most) if Reid plays its WCU in a rout. Before reading their post I didn’t realize Reid alone had accounted for all of WCU’s points before the FU game. He must be one helluva player. Funny before the game WCU fans were saying there is very little difference between RB1 and RB2. Most people don’t realize that football is a one man game and not a team game. :shock:
dornb liked this
 #78149  by wcugrad95
 Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:53 pm
I think most posts by WCU fans were simply saying a healthy Reid could have made some difference. Many of the posts I saw went as far as to say they didn't think it would mean the outcome would be different, only that he is a difference-maker that could maybe have allowed us to run it more and possibly had some of all those drives on the Furman side of the field contine giving us more plays. Western really only tried to be pretty balanced between the run and pass on 3 drives. Two of those drives ended in TDs, and the other ended up with us at your 9-yard line and forcing a throw that ended in an INT at the 1. Score there and WCU would have been up 21-20 with 3 mins left in the 3rd.

I also saw a comment on here about seeing how explosive even an injured Reid was on the few plays he was in the game. An 8-yard burst on his first carry, and then a really nice play turning a short pass into a 39-yard gain. FUBeAR also had multiple posts heading into the game about how good Reid is. Taking the absolute best player off the field for any team is tough, but you gotta play with who you have. Reid is elite, and I think our backup RB is very good. There is a big difference in those two things and what other teams have to do to stop one versus the other.

Bottom-line is Furman won and Western lost. And the narrative will always be different on the winning team vs the losing team's boards. I think FU will go on to be 10-1 and possibly get the #3 seed in the playoffs. I am hopeful that WCU can go 9-2 and possibly sneak in and get seeded as well.

Good luck the rest of the way.
FUwolfpacker, gman84, Davemeister and 3 others liked this
 #78160  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:38 pm
I think a 9-2 WCU would be a good candidate for a seed. Of course, they have to keep winning, but if they can dodge Mercer next weekend, they should be able to unleash their offense on ETSU, Wofford, and VMI for some sexy looking scorelines heading into playoff selection.

1. It does not appear that there is going to be an undefeated Patriot team lurking on the seeding bubble like Holy Cross did last year.

2. I think WCU needs to pull for the favorites in the Big Sky and MVFC to keep winning. With a lot of games still to come against one another, the favorites could knock out those teams hanging around the top 10 (Montana, Idaho, NDSU). A hypothetical 9-2 WCU with losses to Arkansas and Furman would stack up well against a 9-2 team from some of those other conferences.

I think WCU would want to put as much distance between NDSU, Montana, and their big fan bases and potential money draw as possible. I think a SoCon team is always going to get screwed if those two programs are in the discussion.

3. WCU needs to be big fans of whichever team is playing Incarnate Word. The Southland looks terrible this year, and UIW has struggled to beat even their weakest teams. They still have some of the mediocre teams left to play, so there's a chance the Cardinals could trip up. We may know more about how the committee views UIW on Thursday with the top 10 rankings.

4. Samford may rise from the ashes and do all of SoCon world a solid at the end of the season by beating what is currently a one loss UT-Martin. The Skyhawks have to dodge Gardner Webb and SEMO, but it may look nice for the SoCon if Samford is able to pick off what could be a team hovering around the top 10 by the end of the season.

5. Delaware has been the class of the weak CAA, but they still have to play several teams that can theoretically beat them (Elon, Campbell, Villanova, Towson). WCU should be big fans of whomever is playing Delaware.
dornb liked this
 #78165  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:55 pm
wcugrad95 wrote:
I think most posts by WCU fans were simply saying a healthy Reid could have made some difference. Many of the posts I saw went as far as to say they didn't think it would mean the outcome would be different, only that he is a difference-maker that could maybe have allowed us to run it more and possibly had some of all those drives on the Furman side of the field contine giving us more plays. Western really only tried to be pretty balanced between the run and pass on 3 drives. Two of those drives ended in TDs, and the other ended up with us at your 9-yard line and forcing a throw that ended in an INT at the 1. Score there and WCU would have been up 21-20 with 3 mins left in the 3rd.

I also saw a comment on here about seeing how explosive even an injured Reid was on the few plays he was in the game. An 8-yard burst on his first carry, and then a really nice play turning a short pass into a 39-yard gain. FUBeAR also had multiple posts heading into the game about how good Reid is. Taking the absolute best player off the field for any team is tough, but you gotta play with who you have. Reid is elite, and I think our backup RB is very good. There is a big difference in those two things and what other teams have to do to stop one versus the other.

Bottom-line is Furman won and Western lost. And the narrative will always be different on the winning team vs the losing team's boards. I think FU will go on to be 10-1 and possibly get the #3 seed in the playoffs. I am hopeful that WCU can go 9-2 and possibly sneak in and get seeded as well.

Well, if we’re gonna swing this thread to a be a bit Reid-centric, FUBeAR has a strong opinion to assert or an assertion upon which he would like to opine, whichever you prefer.

DESMOND REID’S NEXT TIME IN A FULL WCU FOOTBALL UNIFORM SHOULD BE IN A PLAYOFF GAME

95 is correct. FUBeAR is extremely impressed with Desmond Reid’s talent and he would have made a difference last Saturday. That said, Furman’s Defensive Players are, by far, the best group of Defensive Players WCU has seen since they played a game vs. an SEC Team.

WCU - Rushing @ Arkansas
Player Att. Gain Loss Net TD Lg. Avg.

Reid,Desmond 11 21 10 11 1 8 1.0

WCU - Receiving @ Arkansas
Player Rec. Yds. TD Long

Reid,Desmond 3 35 0 23

So…yes, a difference. Enough to change the outcome? Doubtful. Furman’s Defense is a whole lot more like an SEC Defense than they are Samford’s.

Mercer’s Defense, like Furman’s, is also EXCELLENT.

SoCon Defense - Rushing Defense All Games - including an FBS P5 SEC Opponent
SoCon Rank Team G ATT YDS AVG TD YDS/G
1 Furman 7 221 687 3.1 8 98.1
2 Mercer 8 277 915 3.3 8 114.4

Would a reinjured, now possibly worse injured, Reid make a difference in WCU’s game with Mercer? Maybe. Will that difference be enough to change the outcome? Doubtful.

If WCU is going to beat Mercer, they will do so by doing what Chatt was able to do, eliminate Mercer’s running game and then contain the passing game…and score 1 more point than Mercer’s Offense can muster. As the Mocs proved, scoring the same number of TD’s and kicking FG’s to make the difference will get it done. If the Catamounts can’t do that on Defense, they will not outscore the Bears. As much as they think they invented Offensive Football, their Defense is the key to winning their Homecoming game.

Now, some may say….ol’ FUBeAR is just saying Reid shouldn’t play cuz he wants Mercer to win over WCU. Partially true, FUBeAR does want Mercer to beat WCU for the 8th consecutive time, but FUBeAR is fairly confident that WCU is going to be a Playoff Team even if they lose to Mercer and FUBeAR wants a WCU Playoff Team to do really well in the Playoffs. FUBeAR would love nothing more than for Furman to defeat WCU in a rematch in Frisco (unless Mercer sneaks in the Playoffs…then he wants Furman & Mercer in that game). And, FUBeAR doesn’t want to see a 19 year old kid with a promising future risk that to enable someone else’s aspirations.

FUBeAR tried to lay it out clearly for y’all last week. Hammy’s don’t heal in 2 weeks. Reid’s 3 touches against Furman probably set his full recovery back by 2 additional weeks from what it would have been. If he plays against Mercer, FUBeAR would set the odds at 50/50 that he will re-injure and have to shut it down for the rest of the season…or longer. OTOH - treatment & rehab for 4 weeks - WCU is easily good enough to defeat Woffy, ETSU, and VMI with Adams taking over the RB duties. FUBeAR doesn’t think a 9-2 WCU gets a seed, but he does think an 8-3 WCU (if they happened to lose to Mercer) gets in the field…and with a FULLY RECOVERED Reid could make a nice run.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
 #78166  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:02 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:38 pm
I think a 9-2 WCU would be a good candidate for a seed. Of course, they have to keep winning, but if they can dodge Mercer next weekend, they should be able to unleash their offense on ETSU, Wofford, and VMI for some sexy looking scorelines heading into playoff selection.

1. It does not appear that there is going to be an undefeated Patriot team lurking on the seeding bubble like Holy Cross did last year.

2. I think WCU needs to pull for the favorites in the Big Sky and MVFC to keep winning. With a lot of games still to come against one another, the favorites could knock out those teams hanging around the top 10 (Montana, Idaho, NDSU). A hypothetical 9-2 WCU with losses to Arkansas and Furman would stack up well against a 9-2 team from some of those other conferences.

I think WCU would want to put as much distance between NDSU, Montana, and their big fan bases and potential money draw as possible. I think a SoCon team is always going to get screwed if those two programs are in the discussion.

3. WCU needs to be big fans of whichever team is playing Incarnate Word. The Southland looks terrible this year, and UIW has struggled to beat even their weakest teams. They still have some of the mediocre teams left to play, so there's a chance the Cardinals could trip up. We may know more about how the committee views UIW on Thursday with the top 10 rankings.

4. Samford may rise from the ashes and do all of SoCon world a solid at the end of the season by beating what is currently a one loss UT-Martin. The Skyhawks have to dodge Gardner Webb and SEMO, but it may look nice for the SoCon if Samford is able to pick off what could be a team hovering around the top 10 by the end of the season.

5. Delaware has been the class of the weak CAA, but they still have to play several teams that can theoretically beat them (Elon, Campbell, Villanova, Towson). WCU should be big fans of whomever is playing Delaware.
Samford was 10-1 with only a not-terribly-ugly loss to FBS National Champion, Georgia last year and they got the #6 seed.

ETSU was 10-1 with a P5 FBS win in 2021 and got the #8 Seed.

All of what you’ve shown and probably 10 other needles would need to be threaded for a 9-2 SoCon Team without an FBS win and with an FCS loss to get a seed this year.
 #78168  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:21 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
wcugrad95 wrote:

Well, if we’re gonna swing this thread to a be a bit Reid-centric, FUBeAR has a strong opinion to assert or an assertion upon which he would like to opine, whichever you prefer.

DESMOND REID’S NEXT TIME IN A FULL WCU FOOTBALL UNIFORM SHOULD BE IN A PLAYOFF GAME

95’s is right, FUBeAR is extremely impressed with Desmond Reid’s talent and he would have made a difference last Saturday. That said, Furman’s Defensive Players are, by far, the best group of Defensive Players WCU has seen since they played a game vs. an SEC Team.

WCU - Rushing @ Arkansas

Player Rec. Yds. TD Long

Reid,Desmond 3 35 0 23

So…yes, a difference. Enough to change the outcome? Doubtful. Furman’s Defense is a whole lot more like an SEC Defense than they are Samford’s.

SoCon Defense - Rushing Defense
Index Team G ATT YDS AVG TD YDS/G

Would a reinjured, now possibly worse injured, Reid make a difference in WCU’s game with Mercer? Maybe. Will that difference be enough to change the outcome? Doubtful.

If WCU is going to beat Mercer, they will do so by doing what Chatt was able to do, eliminate Mercer’s running game and then contain the passing game…and score 1 more point than Mercer’s Offense can muster. As the Mocs proved, scoring the same number of TD’s and kicking FG’s to make the difference will get it done. If the Catamounts can’t do that on Defense, they will not outscore the Bears. As much as they think they invented Offensive Football, their Defense is the key to winning their Homecoming game.

Now, some may say….ol’ FUBeAR is just saying Reid shouldn’t play cuz he wants Mercer to win over WCU. Partially true, FUBeAR does want Mercer to beat WCU for the 8th consecutive time, but FUBeAR is fairly confident that WCU is going to be a Playoff Team even if they lose to Mercer and FUBeAR wants a WCU Playoff Team to do really well in the Playoffs. FUBeAR would love nothing more than for Furman to defeat WCU in a rematch in Frisco (unless Mercer sneaks in the Playoffs…then he wants Furman & Mercer in that game). And, FUBeAR doesn’t want to see a 19 year old kid with a promising future risk that to enable someone else’s aspirations.

FUBeAR tried to lay it out clearly for y’all last week. Hammy’s don’t heal in 2 weeks. Reid’s 3 touches against Furman probably set his full recovery back by 2 additional weeks from what it would have been. If he plays against Mercer, FUBeAR would set the odds at 50/50 that he will re-injure and have to shut it down for the rest of the season…or longer. OTOH - treatment & rehab for 4 weeks - WCU is easily good enough to defeat Woffy, ETSU, and VMI with Adams taking over the RB duties. FUBeAR doesn’t think a 9-2 WCU gets a seed, but he does think an 8-3 WCU (if they happened to lose to Mercer) gets in the field…and with a FULLY RECOVERED Reid could make a nice run.
I was a bit curious as to whether it was the hamstring that was the issue. I assumed it was, but did not see it confirmed.

Watching the game, Reid played the first two series. He didn't appear to have any "hitch in his giddy up" that I could readily see.

I noticed that the he appeared to take a few shots in those first two drives, including a pretty big one on a blitz pickup by Blackshear on the first drive. I had not contemplated how Reid was going to hold up in picking up Furman's physical defense in pass protection.

I assumed WCU would not telegraph until the opening drive whether Reid was playing. I agree, though, that if he wasn't 100% and had a lingering issue with a lower body injury, then running him out there against a defense as fast and physical as Furman's is probably wasn't smart.
 #78177  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:05 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:21 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
wcugrad95 wrote:

95’s is right, FUBeAR is extremely impressed with Desmond Reid’s talent and he would have made a difference last Saturday. That said, Furman’s Defensive Players are, by far, the best group of Defensive Players WCU has seen since they played a game vs. an SEC Team.

WCU - Rushing @ Arkansas

Player Rec. Yds. TD Long

Reid,Desmond 3 35 0 23

SoCon Defense - Rushing Defense
Index Team G ATT YDS AVG TD YDS/G

I was a bit curious as to whether it was the hamstring that was the issue. I assumed it was, but did not see it confirmed.

Watching the game, Reid played the first two series. He didn't appear to have any "hitch in his giddy up" that I could readily see.

I noticed that the he appeared to take a few shots in those first two drives, including a pretty big one on a blitz pickup by Blackshear on the first drive. I had not contemplated how Reid was going to hold up in picking up Furman's physical defense in pass protection.

I assumed WCU would not telegraph until the opening drive whether Reid was playing. I agree, though, that if he wasn't 100% and had a lingering issue with a lower body injury, then running him out there against a defense as fast and physical as Furman's is probably wasn't smart.
y. not piling on WCU. But you have to play the long game. I know it hurts to watch and wonder what if but you have to sometimes. I would not let him see the field if there is any lingering thing like a hamstring. That said, he didn't run like he had a hamstring problem. It was odd, he was so fast and then just went to the sideline.

Does anyone at WCU know what his issue is?

Definitely was something of a decoy early as he was out there in the backfield and they had no intention of giving him the ball it appeared to me. Then they did for a few plays and he was out of the game. He is definitely a game changer
 #78234  by apaladin
 Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:35 pm
After looking at the replay the holdng call at the end of the half that took away the TD was the correct call. Couldn’t see who it was but a FU OL had a take down.
Bootie liked this
 #78237  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:51 pm
apaladin wrote:
After looking at the replay the holdng call at the end of the half that took away the TD was the correct call. Couldn’t see who it was but a FU OL had a take down.
Yep - on that one play, 65 attempted to deploy the old FUBeAR PassPro technique of getting run over slowly, except he allowed too much acceleration too rapidly and could only hang on to the train that was going by. Gotta pull ‘em in tighter to your body before you latch on and fall backward…pulling them down with and on top of you.
 #78240  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:05 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:51 pm
apaladin wrote:
Yep - on that one play, 65 attempted to deploy the old FUBeAR PassPro technique of getting run over slowly, except he allowed too much acceleration too rapidly and could only hang on to the train that was going by. Gotta pull ‘em in tighter to your body before you latch on and fall backward…pulling them down with and on top of you.

65 has ordinarily played OT to this point, but is in for the injured Petit at LG.

On a positive note for Furman, the route and throw were beautiful.
 #78262  by AllTimeFU
 Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:25 pm
Looked like he stumbled. Maybe got a foot stepped on and fell backward and just grabbed the DL to prevent a season ending blind side hit.
FUBeAR liked this