• Scholarship /. # s explanation

#7532  by gofurman
 Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:12 pm
I have a BASIC question.

Like partial walk ons and scholarships etc.

If a school can give a football player a legitimate Academic Scholarship (full ride) does that not count AT ALL towards the 63 FCS football scholarships ?? Does it count towards another number like the 95 who can report in August ? I would think so. I think there is also an 85 number in there I think.

63 football scholarships. /. 95. /. 85. Can someone please help me understand these numbers ?

I think one difference is how many kids can actually report in August (preferred Walk On) vs coming when school starts for all regular students (regular walk on). ??

***But if you can use academic money to fund football players who legitimately deserve the academic money then you could hypothetically have 70 academic guys and 63 football scholarships for a total of 133 guys !! That Can't be Legal. How does that work? What's the most Total number of PAID /Scholarship (academic OR athletic ) guys you can have on an FCS team??

I bet FUBeAR and some others could help me understand!

Thanks in advance!
 #7535  by FUPlayer74
 Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:57 pm
FCS gets 63 scholarships which may be divided among 85 total players and has a roster limit of 95 which would include walkons. Not sure if the academic money counts against the 63 equivalencies but the bodies count towards the 95, so you can't have 133 on the team.
 #7543  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:16 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:38 pm
Any football player on any scholarship, academic or any other counts toward the 63 total.
Not exactly...

“15.5.1.1.1 Exception—Receipt of Institutional Academic Aid Only. In football or basketball, a student-athlete who was recruited (see Bylaw 15.02.8) by the awarding institution and whose only source of institutional financial aid is academic aid based solely on the recipient’s academic record at the certifying institution, awarded independently of athletics interests and in amounts consistent with the pattern of all such awards made by the institution, may compete without counting in the institution’s financial aid team limits, provided he or she has completed at least one academic year of full-time enrollment at the certify- ing institution and has achieved a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.000 (on a 4.000 scale) at the certifying institution. (Adopted: 10/27/05 effective 8/1/06, Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)”
 #7545  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:27 am
FUPlayer74 wrote:
FCS gets 63 scholarships which may be divided among 85 total players and has a roster limit of 95 which would include walkons. Not sure if the academic money counts against the 63 equivalencies but the bodies count towards the 95, so you can't have 133 on the team.
I don’t think there is a roster limit of 95. That just applies, I believe, to the number of Players that can practice before school starts.

For example, Samford has 129 Players on their current online roster.
 #7578  by gofurman
 Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:25 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:27 am
FUPlayer74 wrote:
I don’t think there is a roster limit of 95. That just applies, I believe, to the number of Players that can practice before school starts.

For example, Samford has 129 Players on their current online roster.
Holy moly. I was kinda kidding (to make a point) with my 133 answer. Good grief - 129 players on roster?
 #7579  by gofurman
 Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:29 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:16 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:38 pm
Any football player on any scholarship, academic or any other counts toward the 63 total.
Not exactly...

“15.5.1.1.1 Exception—Receipt of Institutional Academic Aid Only. In football or basketball, a student-athlete who was recruited (see Bylaw 15.02.8) by the awarding institution and whose only source of institutional financial aid is academic aid based solely on the recipient’s academic record at the certifying institution, awarded independently of athletics interests and in amounts consistent with the pattern of all such awards made by the institution, may compete without counting in the institution’s financial aid team limits, provided he or she has completed at least one academic year of full-time enrollment at the certify- ing institution and has achieved a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.000 (on a 4.000 scale) at the certifying institution. (Adopted: 10/27/05 effective 8/1/06, Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)”

First, a Huge Thanks to all who helped me here - FUPlayer74, FUBear, AP etc. !!!

This last piece from FUBeAR is interesting and is where I was headed in one of my questions... so if a guy gets a full ACADEMIC ride (it appears he has to be a college sophomore or later) he can be on full scholarship (academic) and a contributing football player but NOT count towards the 63 ATHLETIC scholarships at all...

That would be awesome - the only thing I would see that is tough is that the guy in question has to complete a year of collegiate study before this is available... Meaning he has to pay for his Freshman year. UNLESS... FUBeAR - do you know if you could have a guy on Full Athletic / football scholarship as a freshman who then qualifies for a full academic ride and SWITCH him to an academic ride so it frees up an athletic scholarship?>?>? Seems this would be a way to get a few of them there 'smart' Furman kids to help us allow for maybe 5-10 extra football scholarship players !! Seriously, this would be a tremendous help. FUBeAR - do you know if we ever do this? Anyone know? Do we ever flip a deserving guy from Athletic Scholarship to a Full Academic Scholarship so as to free up a Football Scholarship?

thanks in advance