#75549  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:12 pm
I may need go see someone. Just can’t get over the refs ineptness in the last minute of the half that ultimately decided the game.
 #75550  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:36 pm
apaladin wrote:
I may need go see someone. Just can’t get over the refs ineptness in the last minute of the half that ultimately decided the game.
Ineptness?

They were quite ept at doing exactly what we’ve come to expect from SEC & ACC Refs if we seem as if we might challenge one of their benefactors.
 #75552  by FurmAlum
 Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:22 pm
apaladin wrote:
If you need to go see someone my brother in law is a psychiatrist. I agree with you so we can book a joint appointment. Warning. He's already said I'm crazy.

On the other hand maybe it wasn't ineptness. Maybe it was calculated bias.
apaladin, FU Hoopla, QCGlue liked this
 #75576  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:51 pm
FYI. I’m sure many know this USC game is our LEAST important game but has 21 pages in the thread. Since it’s our least important I expect 22 pages in the KSU thread ! I do see some irony here. Almost never is a thread this long and we talk how the USC game doesn’t matter
Roundball liked this
 #75577  by Roundball
 Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:33 pm
gofurman wrote:
FYI. I’m sure many know this USC game is our LEAST important game but has 21 pages in the thread. Since it’s our least important I expect 22 pages in the KSU thread ! I do see some irony here. Almost never is a thread this long and we talk how the USC game doesn’t matter
Yes. Time to close this thread and move on.
 #75578  by apaladin
 Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:09 pm
gofurman wrote:
It may be the least important as far as FCS goes but it is by far the most important as far as pubicity, prestige, area awareness, national awareness/publicity, pride, bang for the buck etc. etc. A win over an SEC team would bring more recognotion to FU than just about anything else. So yes it is a huge game and oppotunity as is every FBS game we play.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #75590  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:46 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:09 pm
gofurman wrote:
It may be the least important as far as FCS goes but it is by far the most important as far as pubicity, prestige, area awareness, national awareness/publicity, pride, bang for the buck etc. etc. A win over an SEC team would bring more recognotion to FU than just about anything else. So yes it is a huge game and oppotunity as is every FBS game we play.
AP, I get it. I would like to hear answers from many of you on this question -

So here is an ACTUAL FACTUAL EXAMPLE to make you choose:

In 2015 we beat an FBS ! UCF... We won 16-15.
Yet we lost to Wofford and Citadel (painful to type) and went 4-7 overall and 2-5 in conference. So we got the "all important" FBS win for 'publicity, prestige, area awareness, national awareness, pride, bang for the buck etc. etc'. (FYI - I corrected the spelling from 'pubicity' LOL :D - that word scares me man

Would you rather have 2015 as a season?
Or would you prefer last year '22 where Clemson beats us but we have a strong winning season and get to the second round of the playoffs?

I am not arguing. I am asking. It PAINS me greatly to lose to USC. I so badly want to beat them. But in a few weeks I think it is all the rear view mirror and I am taking a season like 2022 far over 2015. In the end, I think the decision is clear.

But if we get so much more 'publicity, prestige, area awareness, national awareness, pride, bang for the buck etc. etc'. from a single FBS win would you take 2015 over 2022?

I know a few who indeed would take 2015 - they are more casual fans and so don't really care about the SoCon level football so only notice if we beat a G5 etc...

Be interested to hear some replies on this. Me personally, I am all about 2022 FCS and 2023 - I hope !!!!!!!!!!!!!. But that is just my worthless opinion.
 #75592  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:25 am
GF -UCF is a bad example. They were horrible and did not win a game that year. Beating them was no big deal at all.
 #75593  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:12 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:25 am
GF -UCF is a bad example. They were horrible and did not win a game that year. Beating them was no big deal at all.
Don’t disagree with you…and it’s actually unrelated to your comment…but…

Nevada is HORRIBLE ALSO. They have not won a Football game in over a year AND have lost to 2 FCS Teams in that time span….

…but Idaho beating them…LAUNCHES Big Sky Idaho past Furman into the Top 3 or 4 of FCS.

The Vandals play at Cal this Saturday…hopefully, the ghost of Marshawn Lynch is gonna run wild on them!!!

(FUBeAR realizes Mr. Lynch remains among the living. Just go with it.)
AstroDin liked this
 #75596  by paladinfan12
 Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:49 am
If we had beaten a well-known ranked power 5 team and then went 4-7 I would say that win is more publicity for the brand than winning the SoCon. I would not say beating a 0-1 South Carolina team that had just gotten waxed by UNC the week before would be more important than the rest of our 2023 games combined, but if Furman had beaten someone like Tennessee - yes that win would be more noteworthy than wining the SoCon.

App State's win over Michigan in 2007 was legendary. Most people don't remember that they won the the SoCon or even the national title that year, but the Michigan upset is still talked about as one of the biggest in history.
 #75599  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:48 am
paladinfan12 wrote:
If we had beaten a well-known ranked power 5 team and then went 4-7 I would say that win is more publicity for the brand than winning the SoCon. I would not say beating a 0-1 South Carolina team that had just gotten waxed by UNC the week before would be more important than the rest of our 2023 games combined, but if Furman had beaten someone like Tennessee - yes that win would be more noteworthy than wining the SoCon.

App State's win over Michigan in 2007 was legendary. Most people don't remember that they won the the SoCon or even the national title that year, but the Michigan upset is still talked about as one of the biggest in history.
True. My question was meant to be which would you PREFER? For me. UCF. Nope.
USC and then losing season. Nope.

Would you PREFER a losing season and a PR P5 win or a great FCS season deep in playoffs and SoCon title?
 #75603  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:45 am
gofurman wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:48 am
paladinfan12 wrote:

True. My question was meant to be which would you PREFER? For me. UCF. Nope.
USC and then losing season. Nope.

Would you PREFER a losing season and a PR P5 win or a great FCS season deep in playoffs and SoCon title?
FUBeAR prefers what Furman Football prefers…

1) Win the SoCon Championship
2) Win the FCS National Championship
3) Win ‘the state of SC’ (i.e., beat The Citadel and Wofford)
4) Win all Home Games
5) Win our FBS game(s)
6) Win all of our games; 1 each week

*Not 100% sure this is 100% accurate, but it’s pretty close. Perhaps a more inside insider can confirm/correct.

It was easier up until 1982…

1) Win the SoCon
2) Beat the bellhops

That is all