• Iowa State December 1st

#6829  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:44 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:42 pm
Taking Incarnate Word is an absolute joke. They were 3-2 in their last 5 games losing to the Southland #1 and #2. They lost to #1 by 27 points. They were clearly the Southland #3. Furman on the other hand was 6-1 their last 7 games and was clearly as good if not better than the other 2 they were tied with for first in the SoCon..
Total point difference between FU, WC and ETSU.
Furman +18
Wofford -7
ETSU -11
IMHO this "committee" goes strictly by the STATS and Coaches poll like they always have. We like to think they are analyzing and comparing teams like the NCCA basketball committee but that obviously doesn't happen. They are lazy. There is no way you can justify taking IW over FU or ISU etc.

Yep, the entire process is an absolute joke
 #6860  by MNORM
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:40 am
apaladin wrote:
Taking Incarnate Word is an absolute joke. They were 3-2 in their last 5 games losing to the Southland #1 and #2. They lost to #1 by 27 points. They were clearly the Southland #3. Furman on the other hand was 6-1 their last 7 games and was clearly as good if not better than the other 2 they were tied with for first in the SoCon..
Furman +18
Wofford -7
ETSU -11
IMHO this "committee" goes strictly by the STATS and Coaches poll like they always have. We like to think they are analyzing and comparing teams like the NCCA basketball committee but that obviously doesn't happen. They are lazy. There is no way you can justify taking IW over FU or ISU etc.
You're partially correct. In the past, the committee used multiple sources (AGS, STATS, Nobowls etc). This year, they decided to rely on the Coaches Poll. The FACT that the new committee chairman is a Southland team AD (Central Ark) and three Southland teams were ranked in the Coaches Poll should raise some eyebrows about the decision.

Hopefully they will learn their lesson when Lamar and UIW get crushed this Saturday.

Back to the topic of Iowa State. The way I'm interpreting the situation is that the game with Iowa State will still be played in the event that UIW loses to Montana State in the first round. I believe UIW will get drilled by MSU....so don't get your hopes up for a road trip to Ames.
 #6875  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:43 pm
MNORM wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:40 am
apaladin wrote:
Furman +18
Wofford -7
ETSU -11
You're partially correct. In the past, the committee used multiple sources (AGS, STATS, Nobowls etc). This year, they decided to rely on the Coaches Poll. The FACT that the new committee chairman is a Southland team AD (Central Ark) and three Southland teams were ranked in the Coaches Poll should raise some eyebrows about the decision.

Hopefully they will learn their lesson when Lamar and UIW get crushed this Saturday.

Back to the topic of Iowa State. The way I'm interpreting the situation is that the game with Iowa State will still be played in the event that UIW loses to Montana State in the first round. I believe UIW will get drilled by MSU....so don't get your hopes up for a road trip to Ames.

This is one of the most spot on observations of corruption by the UCA AD, a few days before selection Sunday he got the guidelines changed to favor this absurd coaches poll because it favors his Southland conference, that guy has no shame
MNORM liked this
 #6887  by fupaladin01
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:46 pm
Drake snagged the Iowa State game. They will get the extra practice (though I’m not sure what for) and the paycheck. Drake. I see no reason it couldn’t have been us.
 #6888  by Paul C
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:48 pm
Let me guess...."hey Iowa St, this is the Drake AD. Since we can bus over to Ames we'll play the game for a lot less than the teams that will have to fly"..... And then "hmmmm how can I spend that money on basketball......"
FUpaladin08, fufanatic liked this
 #6892  by cavedweller2
 Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:10 pm
My respect for Iowa St diminishes.
 #6912  by apaladin
 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:30 am
Is this Drake's first ever FBS game? They are non-collectible and Iowa State. cannot count it towards bowl eligibility.
 #6913  by mathprofhiker
 Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:42 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:30 am
Is this Drake's first ever FBS game? They are non-collectible and Iowa State. cannot count it towards bowl eligibility.
i-OW-a State is already 6-4; they don't need the game for bowl eligibility. As somebody else said, the only reason they would "need" (as opposed to just want) this game would be to save the cost of refunding many thousands of tickets, so the warm body principal would seem to apply in terms of their opponent. A local opponent might even increase walk-up ticket sales, assuming tickets are still available, which they probably are. ;)

Bottom line: I am disappointed we couldn't find a way to get an 11th game, but doing what Iowa State did makes total sense from their perspective.
FUBeAR liked this
 #6956  by Affirm
 Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:35 am
We should have sought out a game against Charlotte 49ers or FAU Owls. Those 2 play on this Saturday. 1 or both should be not going to a “bowl”.