• Mercer Gameday!

#6475  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:56 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:50 pm
Great day to be a Paladin. Not so much for the nerves. Gutty win by FB and BKB.
Just an observation, these are games we lose two years ago. You can see the difference between a playoff team and a 3-8 team over the course of some of these tough games.
Paladin575, apaladin, dornb liked this
 #6527  by gofurman
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:31 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:47 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:44 pm
Mercer has 300 yds thru 3 quarters. They had a total of 149 last week. Disappointing game by the defense.
The goal of the game is not yardage. It is points.

UTC has a better defense than we do and Mercer had more time to get their QBs ready for this game. Our defense is playing fine, we are letting Mercer hang around in this one.
Jackal, They got THIRTY points. That's too many. Can't defend our D today. I felt like ETSU. A lot. If Lamb woulda started Riley I think we lose. Maybe by a decent margin. Same w Henrik feeling. People said we almost won at ETSU. But honestly if Henrik plays all game I don't know we are in that game at all

I am thrilled for today. I just see it both ways.

One thing. How many balls did we ALMOST intercept. Dam. Catch it guys. Musta been 5 - seemed like it. Pick just one of those and it's a differ game
 #6534  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:04 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:56 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:50 pm
Great day to be a Paladin. Not so much for the nerves. Gutty win by FB and BKB.
Just an observation, these are games we lose two years ago. You can see the difference between a playoff team and a 3-8 team over the course of some of these tough games.
100% agree. We lose these games under prior coaches. I know you mean CF but Hendrix also 2-0 v BL !!!
 #6539  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:45 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:33 pm
If we don't hold Mercer to 6 pts or less in second half, our season is history. Wofford would get autobid and ETSU would get at-large. A weak SOCON this year won't get three teams in
. I think there's a 50/50 we are in. Nobowls is usually best guess -He has us in.

Remember they like teams that finish strong. We win 6 of last 7. Very few can say that.
 #6549  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:52 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:45 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:33 pm
If we don't hold Mercer to 6 pts or less in second half, our season is history. Wofford would get autobid and ETSU would get at-large. A weak SOCON this year won't get three teams in
. I think there's a 50/50 we are in. Nobowls is usually best guess -He has us in.

Remember they like teams that finish strong. We win 6 of last 7. Very few can say that.
It's better than 50/50. Virtually everyone has Furman as one of the last teams in.

It may not happen, but Furman's resume, even at 6-4, is better than a lot of teams' on the bubble. Remember, we don't have wins over D2 schools or losses to bad teams.
 #6559  by Affirm
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:23 am
gofurman wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:31 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:47 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:44 pm
Mercer has 300 yds thru 3 quarters. They had a total of 149 last week. Disappointing game by the defense.
The goal of the game is not yardage. It is points.

UTC has a better defense than we do and Mercer had more time to get their QBs ready for this game. Our defense is playing fine, we are letting Mercer hang around in this one.
Jackal, They got THIRTY points. That's too many. Can't defend our D today. I felt like ETSU. A lot. If Lamb woulda started Riley I think we lose. Maybe by a decent margin. Same w Henrik feeling. People said we almost won at ETSU. But honestly if Henrik plays all game I don't know we are in that game at all

I am thrilled for today. I just see it both ways.

One thing. How many balls did we ALMOST intercept. Dam. Catch it guys. Musta been 5 - seemed like it. Pick just one of those and it's a differ game
Good to see it both ways. Learn something that way. Learn something that help you in future situations. I appreciate your commentary.
 #6565  by DeepPurple
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:46 am
The D actually gave up 23 today. Our bunch has over come "shoulda coulda woulda" all year long.
Furman 35 Mercer 30.
Enjoy.
 #6573  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:19 am
These are plays we've struggled defending all season. Who has pass coverage on running back on this play? Certainly, it isn't Tibbs and Okonya, who appear to be the only Furman defenders in the area.

#6584  by MNORM
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:47 am
Not related to gameplay...
This was the smallest Mercer home crowd I think I've seen since they joined the SoCon. Is the excitement and allure of having a new football program starting to die down in Macon?
Last edited by MNORM on Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #6588  by Davemeister
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:05 am
The Jackal wrote:
These are plays we've struggled defending all season. Who has pass coverage on running back on this play? Certainly, it isn't Tibbs and Okonya, who appear to be the only Furman defenders in the area.

Looked to me like our pass rusher was being held on that play.
AstroDin liked this
 #6603  by furpep
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:14 pm
I caught the last 3 minutes of the game on my phone and I saw a few passes that should have been intercepted and some really sloppy tackling on Mercer's last drive. Gotta keep the receiver inbounds. But we won and that was great and we rebounded from a horrid start and we should all be proud of this team!
 #6607  by AstroDin
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:26 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:05 am
The Jackal wrote:

Looked to me like our pass rusher was being held on that play.
Noticed that watching the game… check out the push off on Riley's first touchdown throw, should be a highlight of that play on twitter too.

#6609  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:34 pm
MNORM wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:47 am
Not related to gameplay...
This was the smallest Mercer home crowd I think I've seen since they joined the SoCon. Is the excitement and allure of having a new football program starting to die down in Macon?
Surely it has which is natural., even though they are still at the top of the league in attendance. That and they really had nothing to play for yesterday.