• UIW vs NDSU

#63223  by FUBeAR
 Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:45 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:49 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:04 am
GF there are now teams moving up with 8,000 seat stadiums, very small fan bases etc., KSU for example. it really has become a joke and will force the Power 5’s to form their own thing. At least the teans you mentioned had/have decent fan bases. I think one of the main reasons NDSU doesn’t move up is there is really no FBS conference close to them. Travel would be a tremendous expense, not just football but all their sports. The only FBS conference remotely close is the BIG 10 and they are not going to get in there.
So will Furman be in a third tier Division once its all said and done? Almost like being division III if it was counted properly since those teams won't compete with each other for national championships.
1) Power 5
2) FBS
3) FCS
More like…

1a) NFL w/NFL League Office oversight working w/NFLPA
1b) NBA/WNBA other Professional Sports Leagues working w/League Office oversight and Players’ Unions

2a) Collegiate Professional Football with new CPF League oversight working with CPFPA
2b) Collegiate Professional Basketball/Other Sports w/Sport by Sport oversight working with Players’ Unions

3a) Collegiate Amateur Football w/Scholarships w/NCAA Divisional or Replacement Org oversight
3b) Collegiate Amateur Basketball/Other Sports w/Scholarships w/NCAA or Replacement Org(s)/Sport by Sport oversight

4a) Collegiate Amateur Football w/o Scholarships w/NCAA Divisional or Replacement Org oversight
4b) Collegiate Amateur Basketball/Other Sports w/o Scholarships w/NCAA or Replacement Org(s)/Sport by Sport oversight

Furman will need to determine best fit between Level 3 & Level 4 as well as whether to sponsor different sports at different levels…in different Leagues/Conferences…or maybe FU Hoopla et al will want to kick in the required cash to jumpstart FU Hoops into the realm of 2b. We were semi-pro in the 70’s, so there’s some history there.

Affirm liked this
 #63225  by Affirm
 Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:05 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:45 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:49 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:04 am
GF there are now teams moving up with 8,000 seat stadiums, very small fan bases etc., KSU for example. it really has become a joke and will force the Power 5’s to form their own thing. At least the teans you mentioned had/have decent fan bases. I think one of the main reasons NDSU doesn’t move up is there is really no FBS conference close to them. Travel would be a tremendous expense, not just football but all their sports. The only FBS conference remotely close is the BIG 10 and they are not going to get in there.
So will Furman be in a third tier Division once its all said and done? Almost like being division III if it was counted properly since those teams won't compete with each other for national championships.
1) Power 5
2) FBS
3) FCS
More like…

1a) NFL w/NFL League Office oversight working w/NFLPA
1b) NBA/WNBA other Professional Sports Leagues working w/League Office oversight and Players’ Unions

2a) Collegiate Professional Football with new CPF League oversight working with CPFPA
2b) Collegiate Professional Basketball/Other Sports w/Sport by Sport oversight working with Players’ Unions

3a) Collegiate Amateur Football w/Scholarships w/NCAA Divisional or Replacement Org oversight
3b) Collegiate Amateur Basketball/Other Sports w/Scholarships w/NCAA or Replacement Org(s)/Sport by Sport oversight

4a) Collegiate Amateur Football w/o Scholarships w/NCAA Divisional or Replacement Org oversight
4b) Collegiate Amateur Basketball/Other Sports w/o Scholarships w/NCAA or Replacement Org(s)/Sport by Sport oversight

Furman will need to determine best fit between Level 3 & Level 4 as well as whether to sponsor different sports at different levels…in different Leagues/Conferences…or maybe FU Hoopla et al will want to kick in the required cash to jumpstart FU Hoops into the realm of 2b. We were semi-pro in the 70’s, so there’s some history there.

Good analysis of what may be happening fairly soon.
 #63226  by Furmanoid
 Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:36 am
Well done, FUBeAR. The FUBeAR Division 3 looks like the place for us. I like the concept of DIII (FD4) but how many good athletes could go to Furman without a scholarship?
If something like that does happen, it will be interesting to watch who decides to move down to FD3.
Affirm liked this
 #63227  by FUBeAR
 Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:48 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Well done, FUBeAR. The FUBeAR Division 3 looks like the place for us. I like the concept of DIII (FD4) but how many good athletes could go to Furman without a scholarship?
If something like that does happen, it will be interesting to watch who decides to move down to FD3.
Not sure those that “move down to FD3” will have much choice in the matter. FD2 will be ‘by invitation only’…from the members of FD2 that vote themselves in as charter members first.
 #63240  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:15 am
Who knows what will happen in football but I don’t see any changes to basketball at least for the foreseeable future and I realize FUBear is not totally serious. :lol:
FU Hoopla liked this
 #63241  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:18 am
Basketball not changing, Furman will continue to compete towards a National tournament and title that consists of all the biggest names/programs in college basketball ;)
 #63245  by Furmanoid
 Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:42 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:48 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Not sure those that “move down to FD3” will have much choice in the matter. FD2 will be ‘by invitation only’…from the members of FD2 that vote themselves in as charter members first.
Seems like the ones that don’t get a bid will just start their own college sponsored pro league. Might end up with 2 or 3 rival leagues. When it does become clear that these are pro sports sponsored by schools, I wonder what teams like Northwestern, Stanford, ND etc do. Do they go pro or not? I also wonder about MAC and Sunbelt type teams. Do they have their own cheapo version of the P5 pro league, or do they go back to amateur sports? And what about “P5” teams like Kansas or Vandy or GT? Do they finally say thanks but no thanks since they obviously don’t belong? That’s the stuff I’ll be curious about.
FUBeAR liked this
 #63247  by FUBeAR
 Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:17 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:18 am
Basketball not changing
 #63264  by purplehorse123
 Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:20 pm
Yep I read article in last week saying the reason NDSU did not move up was NO CONFERENCE to move to as apaladin already stated. Geographically would make no sense for their opponents.
 #63270  by Affirm
 Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:55 pm
purplehorse123 wrote:
Yep I read article in last week saying the reason NDSU did not move up was NO CONFERENCE to move to as apaladin already stated. Geographically would make no sense for their opponents.
Let’s send NDSU, SDSU, Montana, and Montana State to the Mountain West Conference where they’ll make as much sense as existing conference member Hawai’i. Or if not that, I believe Big 12 is looking for good additions.
 #63291  by gofurman
 Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:48 am
Appreciate the good discussion above re NDSU and moving up. Thank you all!
 #63295  by Affirm
 Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:51 am
gofurman wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:48 am
Appreciate the good discussion above re NDSU and moving up. Thank you all!

purplehorse123 wrote: ↑
AFFIRM REPLIED:
Let’s send NDSU, SDSU, Montana, and Montana State to the Mountain West Conference where they’ll make as much sense as existing conference member Hawai’i. Or if not that, I believe Big 12 is looking for good additions.

ANOTHER THOUGHT:
NDSU, UND, SDSU, USD, Montana, Montana State should start a new FBS conference. I think they only need one more school to have the minimum 7 members required for a conference. They could pull in Boise State, Wyoming, and/or Northern Iowa to get to that minimum.
 #63297  by apaladin
 Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:43 am
The closest school currently in the Big West to Fargo is 800+ miles. Range is from 800+ to 1,800+ miles for current Big West members so would not make much sense. The Big 12 would never accept a football playing member with a 19k seat stadium.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.