• All-SoCon Teams and Awards

#61170  by The Jackal
 Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:35 am
Davemeister wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:54 am
Understanding what you guys are saying. I was kinda hoping maybe Coaches & Media would look past the stats to the Bigger Numbers. What QB - besides MH - did the most to help his team win? Down the final stretch, FP was 0-3. TH was immaculate.

It can often just be a numbers game. Huff doesn’t throw it enough to put up some of these passing stats.
 #61224  by furmandad
 Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:28 am
I imagine most on the message board would pick Roberto over Ford and Saylors if drafting your SoCon Dream Team. His total yards stats are diluted by fewer carries as a result of how Furman runs their offensive play calling and shuttling personnel. The Team is better off with how Roper operates. Huff and Abrams (primarily) “took” carries and yards from Roberto. Impacts stats, and therefore how media and coaches vote.
dornb liked this
 #62620  by FUBeAR
 Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:15 am
Davemeister wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:59 am
Happy to see 3 Furman OL men make First Team!

Disappointed Tyler did not make 2nd Team.
Phil Steele announced his All SoConTeams & POY’s. Huff was his 3rd Team QB.

After watching QB Sluka put Holy Cross on his back today & scare the cottontail off the SDSU bunnies, Coach Roper must’ve been really, really pleased to find Huff on our roster. If this is temporally possible, Sluka, today, reminded FUBeAR of what he expects to see Huff do with/for the FU Offense in his 2nd season holding the QB reins.
AstroDin, Davemeister liked this
 #62621  by AstroDin
 Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:08 am
FuBear… I was thinking the same thing watching Sluka and that offense.
Sluka and Huff both run with authority. They run it with no hesitation.
I'd also say both have uncanny patience, and at the same time, there is a quiet edge to their play. What I mean by that is they seem chill, but at the point of contact-they, they don't shy away from it.

I'm curious to see how Roper develops Carson Jones. Carson is listed as 6-2, and 205 looks bigger, IMO. Jones has an accurate arm (76.7 percent passing his senior year) and 28 passing touchdowns. Jones also can run, with 9 rushing touchdowns. His senior season
 #62624  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:44 am
Hope we can hold onto Roper for a while. His good work at FU this year is getting noticed. He is being mentioned by the P&C as someone citadel should be looking at for their vacancy.
 #62625  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:05 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:08 am
FuBear… I was thinking the same thing watching Sluka and that offense.
Sluka and Huff both run with authority. They run it with no hesitation.
I'd also say both have uncanny patience, and at the same time, there is a quiet edge to their play. What I mean by that is they seem chill, but at the point of contact-they, they don't shy away from it.

I'm curious to see how Roper develops Carson Jones. Carson is listed as 6-2, and 205 looks bigger, IMO. Jones has an accurate arm (76.7 percent passing his senior year) and 28 passing touchdowns. Jones also can run, with 9 rushing touchdowns. His senior season

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think a good chunk of the teams that were still alive this weekend - Holy Cross, Montana State, UIW, NDSU, etc - have QBs that are heavily featured in their run game.

So, maybe we're on to something. We've generally had "mobile" QBs, but until Roper's arrival we really didn't utilize them as a legitimate run threat (probably too because we didn't have much depth at the position).

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.