• Woff game thread

#60607  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:18 pm
furmandad wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:16 pm
Jackal, not talking about running up the score; I'm suggesting it would be helpful for Carson's development to be able to throw a short pass or two in a game situation to maybe move the chains.

I get the idea, but you aren't going to see teams throw it there.

Jones is a freshman, and it'd be nice to have a more experienced backup, but it is what it is.
 #60608  by tya1
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:35 pm
I expected a lot of points but I didn't see this many coming today.

Does Wofford even have a strength coach? We have dominated the lines - especially our defensive line against their offensive line. Those were some pile-driving tackles too. The Terriers are lucky Clay is a compassionate man, some guys might have gone for the record.
Mr. Taggart liked this
 #60609  by saltyshaker
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:58 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:11 pm
Wofford's defense has got nothing for us right now.

Bigger, faster, and stronger than they are across the board.
don't know if we are bigger.their mid five on oline were each 300lbs or more.
 #60610  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:00 pm
saltyshaker wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:58 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:11 pm
Wofford's defense has got nothing for us right now.

Bigger, faster, and stronger than they are across the board.
don't know if we are bigger.their mid five on oline were each 300lbs or more.

And they were flat worn out in the second half when we started hammering their QB.

Our offensive line isn't as big on the scale, but were fitter and stronger.
 #60614  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:11 pm
Was an overall impressive effort.

I know some will look at Wofford's passing numbers, but a lot of those throws were jump balls. We could be a lot better, but when you surrender only 37 yards rushing and the opponent is 4 touchdowns behind most of the game, you're going to give up some passing yards.
 #60653  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:32 pm
gman84 wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:12 pm
We could have hung 80 on them.
I really don't think we were doing anything exotic offensively. We were just out-executing them.

Huff looked like nothing Wofford did surprised him.
 #60654  by gman84
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:37 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:32 pm
gman84 wrote:
I really don't think we were doing anything exotic offensively. We were just out-executing them.

Huff looked like nothing Wofford did surprised him.
Agree ! He had one bad read on the int. Other than that, he was spectacular.
FUwolfpacker, dornb liked this
 #60657  by cavedweller2
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:48 pm
gman84 wrote:
Easily
 #60658  by cavedweller2
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:49 pm
It was 14-14. Then we won 49-14.
 #60662  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:54 pm
Kind of a cool wrinkle here.

Furman likes to run the play action pass play with the TE (Miller) leaking around the back of the offensive line. Similar concept here, but Furman does it out of a 4 WR set and instead of Miller running it, they use Harris.

Formation-wise, that doesn't look like a play the defense going to see, but there it is.
 #60667  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:59 pm
Looking forward to watching Caleb Williams in the future.

Just excellent football here.

Wofford trying an RPO. That play is designed to essentially make the defense wrong whatever they do. Wofford reads the outside linebacker, who comes up against the run, and throws it to the slant behind him.

Williams sees all of that, breaks on the ball immediately and beats the receiver to the spot. Almost like he was expecting it.
hypercycloid liked this
 #60943  by Mr. Taggart
 Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:17 pm
The Jackal wrote:

I know some will look at Wofford's passing numbers, but a lot of those throws were jump balls. We could be a lot better, but when you surrender only 37 yards rushing and the opponent is 4 touchdowns behind most of the game, you're going to give up some passing yards.
Several of Wofford's big pass plays were on badly underthrown balls. It was the old GSU triple-option version of "have your receiver stop running because they know you can't throw it any farther."
 #60946  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:35 pm
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:17 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Several of Wofford's big pass plays were on badly underthrown balls. It was the old GSU triple-option version of "have your receiver stop running because they know you can't throw it any farther."
That's exactly what they were like.

#23 for Wofford is a big kid. Reminds me of the old GSU receivers or even the Herres kid that played at VMI - a tall leaper.

None of it was overly complex. Hendrix noted it was essentially max protect and then jump balls on post routes.

While you'd like to have knocked a few more down early, we were basically able to eliminate Wofford's entire playbook beyond that particular route.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.