• SoCon Week 10

#59301  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:06 pm
KSU beating UT-M in the 4th.

That has the added advantage of knocking off a bubble team and a team that lost to a SoCon school.

Wofford leading WCU. They've improved significantly.

UTC struggling at the Citadel, but finally opened up a 10 point lead in the third.

Towson beating bubbly Villanova. So that's good.

VMI beating Samford, though still early.
 #59302  by stonemd
 Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:29 pm
Do we want Samford to beat VMI ?
Gives us a better loss
But a L would increase our chance of autobid.
 #59303  by tim
 Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:55 pm
The SOCON refs had a conference and decided VMI shouldn't be beating Sammy so all calls are against VMI now. Twice the VMI coach was restrained from rushing the field and attacking the refs. 12-7 VMI at the half though. In Cullowhee, Yannity has his hands full keeping his partner's fat ass from jumping out of the press box when Woffy breaks a big play (former Woffy guy) Woffy in the lead now.
 #59305  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:05 pm
tim wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:55 pm
The SOCON refs had a conference and decided VMI shouldn't be beating Sammy so all calls are against VMI now. Twice the VMI coach was restrained from rushing the field and attacking the refs. 12-7 VMI at the half though. In Cullowhee, Yannity has his hands full keeping his partner's fat ass from jumping out of the press box when Woffy breaks a big play (former Woffy guy) Woffy in the lead now.
Unwatchable. I watched the replay of our game last week and that was bad enough, but he was off the rails today. I had to turn the sound down.
tim liked this
 #59306  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:22 pm
Yet another reason for Paladin fans to get to Macon next week. If you don’t you are gonna have to listen to Woffy guy again since our game is SoCon game of the week. :lol:
 #59311  by FUBeAR
 Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:55 pm
He was never great, but he does know Football, so FUBeAR has been OK listening to him (for a while) in the past…but this year…he’s added 3 things to his ‘flavor.’

1) Sound effects - “Ooooh” on every big hit. “Got ‘em” if a WR is open deep and the QB throws it in his direction…and others.

2) ‘Talking’ to the Players, like some people talk to the characters in a horror movie, “Ooh, watch out! Don’t go in there! You know he’s gonna…pull out an axe / pull the ball on the option keep!

3) He’s obviously started watching this guy (below) on Twitter…who is hilarious, btw…and he’s letting some of “Coach30’s” near-trademarked phrases creep into his analysis of SoCon games…as if he’s sitting in film session with the Players. Doesn’t work well and, it’s obviously a rip-off.

CONTENT WARNING - ADULT-THEMED HUMOR

Add all 3 of these together - mix in his love for all things Woffy…and he’s really, really hard to take. If Ingle’s / NextStar is gonna renew, they gotta get him back on track or replace him. It’s REALLY not good.
 #59326  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:00 am
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:25 pm
And “And again…” at the beginning of every sentence…
My biggest issue with him is that he spoke as though he were watching a football game in 2004.

The rules have changed. There was one comment to Yannity in our UTC game along the lines of "the fans show up to watch guys get knocked out." Yannity quickly changed the subject.
 #59328  by Davemeister
 Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:47 am
Woffy Guy did step up for Furman on the infamous "Blindside Block" call that walked back TH's first keeper vs. UT-C. Said it looked like a good football move.
 #59331  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:17 am
Davemeister wrote:
Woffy Guy did step up for Furman on the infamous "Blindside Block" call that walked back TH's first keeper vs. UT-C. Said it looked like a good football move.

It's an odd rule - requiring "forcible contact" in the open field outside the players "field of vision."

Peculiar is that Dean appeared to be clearly in front of him - but the UTC player clearly didn't see him. So, you can technically be outside the field of vision, even while in front of a player.

It wasn't that long ago that those sorts of blocks were open season as long as you didn't hit anyone from behind. Admittedly, some of the biggest and nastiest hits in a football game came on blocks in the open field where a player didn't see the block coming. I can understand why they legislated those sorts of hits out of the game.

Interestingly, VMI got called for a "blindside block" on Blackshear's pick six two weeks ago. I thought it was odd that the team trying to tackle ball carrier would be called for an illegal "block" considering their team didn't have possession.
 #59353  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:52 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Davemeister wrote:

It's an odd rule - requiring "forcible contact" in the open field outside the players "field of vision."

Peculiar is that Dean appeared to be clearly in front of him - but the UTC player clearly didn't see him. So, you can technically be outside the field of vision, even while in front of a player.

It wasn't that long ago that those sorts of blocks were open season as long as you didn't hit anyone from behind. Admittedly, some of the biggest and nastiest hits in a football game came on blocks in the open field where a player didn't see the block coming. I can understand why they legislated those sorts of hits out of the game.

Interestingly, VMI got called for a "blindside block" on Blackshear's pick six two weeks ago. I thought it was odd that the team trying to tackle ball carrier would be called for an illegal "block" considering their team didn't have possession.
Watch the replay. One of their O-Lineman who had no hope of taking an angle and catching Blackshear just nailed the FU Player running to be a blocker. The fat boy, essentially, sacrificed himself, like a pawn in a chess game, to get a (blindside) hit on a Furman Player. FUBeAR woulda done the same in the days before it was illegal.

They make a similar call now when DB’s take out blockers by running into their legs. Illegal Block on the Defense.
 #59363  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:43 pm
Davemeister wrote:
The Woff guy is unbearable. He does hate (consistent) almost ALL calls by the refs on either team. I’ll allow him that. But sometimes the call is. just so clearly against the rules he really should shut up. Like when a week or two back Huff was CLEARLY a yard or so out of bounds and an opponent hit him and it was called a late hit. And it was. You guys know I’m not real purple glasses but even I was all over it. Lol. I mean Huff was a good 2 or 3 feet out of bounds when this cat hit him. And yet the Woff announcer said (paraphrase) oh man my 7 year old gets hit harder than that and they don’t call it. He is unbearable sometimes

On the other hand he occasionally / rarely does throw a bone. When UTC took a timeout before we kicked the FG at halftime we snapped and kicked it anyway (didn’t count obviously ). And he said as a former Center he was always told by his kicker .. if they take a timeout hike it anyway because I want to practice kicking in the field of play. Good point. Hadn’t really thought of that myself. It isn’t like the ref can stop you from that practice kick.
 #59373  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:38 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:52 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Davemeister wrote:

Watch the replay. One of their O-Lineman who had no hope of taking an angle and catching Blackshear just nailed the FU Player running to be a blocker. The fat boy, essentially, sacrificed himself, like a pawn in a chess game, to get a (blindside) hit on a Furman Player. FUBeAR woulda done the same in the days before it was illegal.

They make a similar call now when DB’s take out blockers by running into their legs. Illegal Block on the Defense.
It's the correct call according to the rule.

Just found it odd to call a "block" on a player who shouldn't have been blocking.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.