• WOW #13 IN STATS POLL!,

#59144  by Furmanoid
 Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:02 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:55 pm
Furman will get its chance next year playing a weak FBS team in SC.
But as bad as they are, we never (almost never) beat them. I’d like to see us try somebody else. Maybe TAMU. Score about 17 and we win.
 #59146  by Furmanoid
 Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:26 pm
Purple rain wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:30 pm
You may be right, but I don't think SC will be a weak team. We have sure beat them before.
We beat them my Senior year, but I’m really old.
 #59155  by Affirm
 Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:41 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:55 pm
Furman will get its chance next year playing a weak FBS team in SC.
25 days from now, USC will not be viewed as a “weak” FBS team. USC will beat Clemson in Death Valley on November 26, 2022. And by the time they play Furman 3 games later (September 9, 2023, after the bowl game to end this season and after UNC on 9/2/23), USC will not be viewed as a “weak” FBS team.
Purple rain liked this
 #59156  by Affirm
 Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:49 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:59 pm
affirm wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:32 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:54 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:17 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:04 am
I think Nevada, Buffalo and Utah State are maybe a little better than Big South teams.

But I get what you are saying. There are bad B1G and ACC teams we could maybe, possibly beat. I nominate Nebraska, Indiana, Iowa (but they’ll probably get good again), Rutgers, usually Maryland, BC, GATech, VaTech, Miami and Duke.

I doubt Sunbelt or MAC teams would offer much of a payoff at all. Wouldn’t want to get smoked by App State or Liberty for free.

Reports are that the Citadel was paid $375,000 to pay App State this season. Furman reportedly was paid $415,000 to play Clemson.

In 2019, Furman reportedly earned $325,000 from Georgia State and $425,000 from Virginia Tech.

I suppose there is a balance. Money is money, but I sometimes wonder if taking a little lesser pay day might be worth the opportunity to notch a win against an FBS team.
Interesting. The numbers people usually throw around on these forums are twice that high. If we can get within $100K of the Clemson deal to play a well regarded Sunbelt team I wish we’d go for it. Somebody like WKU or Ohio might be good as well.

If money becomes a problem just find some sport apaladin really likes and cancel it.
I nominate:
Charlotte
Rice
FIU
Akron
Not sure beating Charlotte gives you a bump. And Rice is usually a joke.
FIU would be ok since either they or FAU can have a good year, and even if you beat the crappier of the two, nobody knows the difference, so you get credit for beating the good one.

MAC teams are sort of the same. Nobody knows which one’s which so you can beat a really crappy team that won the MAC 3 years earlier and get undeserved credit.

Beating any FBS team would give Furman a “bump”.
I did not suggest UMass or UConn, but winning over either of those also would give Furman a “bump”.
bj93 liked this
 #59210  by gofurman
 Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:43 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:17 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:04 am
I think Nevada, Buffalo and Utah State are maybe a little better than Big South teams.

But I get what you are saying. There are bad B1G and ACC teams we could maybe, possibly beat. I nominate Nebraska, Indiana, Iowa (but they’ll probably get good again), Rutgers, usually Maryland, BC, GATech, VaTech, Miami and Duke.

I doubt Sunbelt or MAC teams would offer much of a payoff at all. Wouldn’t want to get smoked by App State or Liberty for free.

Reports are that the Citadel was paid $375,000 to pay App State this season. Furman reportedly was paid $415,000 to play Clemson.

In 2019, Furman reportedly earned $325,000 from Georgia State and $425,000 from Virginia Tech.

I suppose there is a balance. Money is money, but I sometimes wonder if taking a little lesser pay day might be worth the opportunity to notch a win against an FBS team.
If those numbers are right, why play a team we have almost no chance of beating (CLemson) and thus get no help in the FCS polls - we should play a Charlotte or Georgia State or ... similar payday and a small/medium chance to rocket up the polls. Losing to Clemson or Georgia State is viewed the same. But we aren't beating Clemson. We could beat a Sunbelt team possibly. If these numbers are correct we really aren't helping ourselves with scheduling..

D2 AND Clemson ?????? That's just dumb. At least get an FCS and Clemson. But better still, get an FCS and some sunbelt or MAC. William and Mary beat Charlotte and shot up the polls this year because of it !!!
 #59211  by HB88
 Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:05 pm
Completely appreciate the possible need to rethink scheduling strategy, but I wonder if another wrinkle to consider is the impact on recruiting. I don't know because I have no relevant experience, but could being able to tell a recruit that next year, or two years from now, or whatever, you could play in Neyland Stadium or at the Grove or at Death Valley be a strong draw? I am not sure that Boone would have the same cache, but this may not be at all important for recruits. Just a thought.
gman84 liked this
 #59213  by Furmanoid
 Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:52 pm
HB88 wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:05 pm
Completely appreciate the possible need to rethink scheduling strategy, but I wonder if another wrinkle to consider is the impact on recruiting. I don't know because I have no relevant experience, but could being able to tell a recruit that next year, or two years from now, or whatever, you could play in Neyland Stadium or at the Grove or at Death Valley be a strong draw? I am not sure that Boone would have the same cache, but this may not be at all important for recruits. Just a thought.
You may have a point. So maybe do a team that has a bigger name or conference affiliation, but isn’t all that good. Maybe Miami, GATech, Purdue, Nebraska, Indiana, Illinois, Louisville, Northwestern etc.
 #59214  by Purple rain
 Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:05 pm
All these are great ideas, but bottom line, we don't have a lot of say so in getting a game locked down. There are major hurdles in putting together a schedule that works. When we play one of these big FBS games, we need to get the top dollar for playing the game!

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.