• Injuris

#57018  by AstroDin
 Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:44 am
I believe we've had several conversations about this in the game thread.
Based on the game notes for Saturday and a few things I've read online:

Jumper is back—was held out on concussion protocol.
Blackshear held out with a minor injury—expected to be back. Dom Morris has played very well as a starter.
McCormick was with illness—should be back Saturday—listed on this week's depth chart.

Who Appears Out
Achina still appears out — Miller is playing very well as the spur starter. Not sure we're missing anything here except for depth. Chizik is the backup - enough said.
Wilkins is listed out with an injury — Wilkins is a great player, but Brinson is the starter, and he's having a great year. Justin Hartwell is the backup. Hartwell appears to be a player known to be a big hitter.
Jackson is listed out with an injury — here is where Furman's depth shines. Barton gets the start. He's been playing very well. The big move is Bryce Stanfield moving over to DE, where he played last season. Stanfield is explosive, and I'd expect him to make some noise in this game.
Finally, Huff. Jace Wilson and Carson Jones — have faith.

Another thought about this game—and the DINS defensive line. Moving Bryce over to DE, I'm guessing, means more plays for X Stephens. Stephens has impressed me. I think he would start for any other SoCon team. Look for Stephens to make some key plays.
Davemeister liked this
 #57026  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:56 pm
It's always fun to watch Coach Vaughn matchup with these good offenses.

On the defensive line rotation, you'll almost assuredly see our big guys up front getting in and out quickly, especially when Samford runs plays towards our sidelines.
 #57028  by AllTimeFU
 Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:04 pm
It did seem Charleston tried to negate the rotation by no huddle offense.
 #57038  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:28 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
I've often thought that - EASY way to defeat depth (on the D) is just to no huddle on O so you can't rotate on opposin' D. If they are hiking the ball we can't be sending new guys on the field. Just depends on whether O wants to make substitutions I guess
 #57039  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:38 am
AstroDin wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:44 am
I believe we've had several conversations about this in the game thread.
Based on the game notes for Saturday and a few things I've read online:

Jumper is back—was held out on concussion protocol.
Blackshear held out with a minor injury—expected to be back. Dom Morris has played very well as a starter.
McCormick was with illness—should be back Saturday—listed on this week's depth chart.

Who Appears Out
Achina still appears out — Miller is playing very well as the spur starter. Not sure we're missing anything here except for depth. Chizik is the backup - enough said.
Wilkins is listed out with an injury — Wilkins is a great player, but Brinson is the starter, and he's having a great year. Justin Hartwell is the backup. Hartwell appears to be a player known to be a big hitter.
Jackson is listed out with an injury — here is where Furman's depth shines. Barton gets the start. He's been playing very well. The big move is Bryce Stanfield moving over to DE, where he played last season. Stanfield is explosive, and I'd expect him to make some noise in this game.
Finally, Huff. Jace Wilson and Carson Jones — have faith.

Another thought about this game—and the DINS defensive line. Moving Bryce over to DE, I'm guessing, means more plays for X Stephens. Stephens has impressed me. I think he would start for any other SoCon team. Look for Stephens to make some key plays.
I agree to a point. Very impressed with our D and the dpeth on it !! .. also I think a few will be back tomorrow. Jumper maybe Blackshear (though Morris has been playing great etc).

The thing I would say - as I am often told - is the coaches assign a 'starter' for a reason. It's a point of pride for the guy playing best in practice and on the field lately. So we can spin it all we want but it's Not a good thing that 42 Jackson (started all year) is out. And we all know that. Depth is good but we would rather have our best two guys (1 and 2) than numbers 2 and 3.. at the very least you usually lose experience or something. That's why he is guy number 3 on the depth chart or wasn't listed before. Something is different. And, look, I am impressed with some of them - 4 (Morris) has played exceptional on several plays. CSU was going at him for sure.

also one key is that means we are one bum play from being on guy 3 and 4 now. And that is a killa' - as was once said on this board "next man up is only good so far as it goes" (I paraphrase Jackl on that). He said that years ago. And he is right. Like I said we probably recall the year we got to QB number 4? And it killed our season. Wasn't his fault at all. Just can't go that deep.

Factually, we are the most injured team in the SoCon right now I am almost sure.

Hope to see Jumper c 62.. Blackshear cb 1. and the LB who was sick - mccormick 31

That would leave us on QB2 Wilson, and 3 guys out - DE 42 Jackson , Achina 20 at Spur (yes, backup is playing very well), and 5 Wilkins (but he is backup now though if we are playing a lot of depth then it actually hurts more that he is out bc that would indicate he plays more as second team guy than on many FCS teams?). I admit not sure how much Wilkins 5 was playing.

Anyway, GoFurman.. please no jinxes
 #57040  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:54 am
just win guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 #57047  by AstroDin
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:18 am
Furman's had some great teams based on the next-man-up philosophy.

GoFu… from day one, Clay has focused on building depth. Furman's gameday coaching and substitutions go against your comment—you have starters, then you have those that aren't starters. In every game this season, Furman has substituted, liberally-especially on defense in every game. You must give Furman's defensive depth credit for the 4th quarter performances so far.

This is a dumb argument over injuries in a sport with contact. You build depth cause; injuries are gonna happen.

I'm looking forward to ching Jace and the offense play today, same for our D. This is a measuring stick game.
 #57057  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:12 am
AllTimeFU wrote:

Coach Vaughn is actually really good at this, in my opinion. Defensive subs are basically in the jump seat on the sideline. As soon as the play slows down to unpile bodies or the offense runs closer to our sideline (where it's less distance for our big guys to get off the field), you'll see Paladin subs run on.
 #57058  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:14 am
gofurman wrote:
AllTimeFU wrote:
I've often thought that - EASY way to defeat depth (on the D) is just to no huddle on O so you can't rotate on opposin' D. If they are hiking the ball we can't be sending new guys on the field. Just depends on whether O wants to make substitutions I guess

At this point, teams can defense it.

Remember, the offense gets tired too.
 #57063  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:51 am
AstroDin wrote:

GoFu… from day one, Clay has focused on building depth. Furman's gameday coaching and substitutions go against your comment—you have starters, then you have those that aren't starters. In every game this season, Furman has substituted, liberally-especially on defense in every game. You must give Furman's defensive depth credit for the 4th quarter performances so far.

This is a dumb argument over injuries in a sport with contact. You build depth cause; injuries are gonna happen.

I'm looking forward to ching Jace and the offense play today, same for our D. This is a measuring stick game.
Y’all are the ones who told me we probably win If Frankie DeBusk - I think him? - was healthy years ago. . It sucks. It is what it is but THERE IS NOTHING wrong with keeping a list so I can track. NOTHING - it’s my thing. Others like to be Uber positive about X or Y. Some like to focus on OL or whatever. That’s their right as ‘Mericans. I can track injurid

That said everything ( all strategies) had a plus and minus. I love our depth. One place we don’t have it is OL. For years (Fowler? ) we had 8 guys on the 10
Man 2 deep. Then we got to 10 men in the ten OL two deep. We are back at that 8 with Johanng etc listed at two positions. Boo

Odd. As I don’t think we are particularly hurt there just only 8 guys listed. D has depth. OL not so much. Stay healthy
Last edited by gofurman on Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #57064  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:54 am
AstroDin wrote:

Agree it’s a measuring stick. We will see

RUN ALL DAY Furman. I don’t want a damn exciting game. North Dakota State sets the bar with very few exciting games. And they win titles. Exciting teams - see CLemson now - don’t win titles. Want to win so BORING. RUN. RUN. RUN. LEAN ON EM OL. goFurman!

ETSU exciting game at citadel. 0-2 in conf now. Citadel exciting win over ETSU. I think didn’t score a point vs Mercer.

NDSU. v FCS decent teams won 43-3. 34-17. That’s what great teams do- Exciting sucks, CRUSH SAMMY TODAY !!
Last edited by gofurman on Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #57065  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:02 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:14 am
gofurman wrote:
AllTimeFU wrote:

At this point, teams can defense it.

Remember, the offense gets tired too.
Yes. But less so. NFL players now announcers and former college players I talk to almost all say (kinda like FUBEAR talking OL and DL) bc D guys may shy away from a nasty RB tackle as a DB late in game. Once you get the ball - RB whomever- most guys tell me. They forget they are tired but d guys tell me if an o is leaning on em they get tired (physical and mental) and start to give in. Look at the way we started running better on CSU late in game last week. Some is depth but some is just an interesting pysch dynamic of O and D - that’s what various players have said anyway. ?
 #58533  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:00 am
Any word on Wyatt Hughes 63?? We could use our starting 5 OL. This Chatt team is rolling and they almost always have the best DL talent year after year somehow with a .potential NFL lick every other year on DL
 #58537  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:27 am
I'm pretty sure Hughes came back for a snap or two - then I think the coaches put him on the bench. I think he will be god to go for Chatty.

Let's hope it's the same for Miller—the radio crew thought he had an elbow issue and did not return in the 2nd half. They noted it didn't look serious.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:22 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.