• SoCon Week 2

#55996  by Roundball
 Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:00 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:38 am
Wofford had 128 total yards. Their revamped offense was 7-20 passing.

Announced attendance at Gibbs for the home opener was around 2,500.

I'm no Wofford fan, but it's sad to see what has happened to their program under Conklin.
It would not surprise me if Wofford dropped football in order to be all in on basketball.
 #55998  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:04 am
Roundball wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I'm no Wofford fan, but it's sad to see what has happened to their program under Conklin.
It would not surprise me if Wofford dropped football in order to be all in on basketball.
I can't imagine them doing that.

My guess is that at a small school they've got too much money tied up in Conklin to let him go.
 #55999  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:14 am
The Jackal wrote:
Roundball wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

My guess is that at a small school they've got too much money tied up in Conklin to let him go.
And $$$$ family connections - my ex-wife is a Terrier and has been on the Terrier Club board since last season.
She says they have a mess on their hands due to Conklin's family connections.
 #56000  by FUBeAR
 Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:02 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:14 am
The Jackal wrote:
Roundball wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

And $$$$ family connections - my ex-wife is a Terrier and has been on the Terrier Club board since last season.
She says they have a mess on their hands due to Conklin's family connections.
FUBeAR cited this as a potential down-the-road issue when the curious hire was made.

FUBeAR is not so sure that Coach Ayers decision to retire when he did was not ‘encouraged’ by the powerful people at WoeFraud…because that timing was well-suited for the current HC and his ‘backers.’ Seems likely to FUBeAR that some ‘engineering’ was involved with that whole situation.

As FUBeAR wrote on 1/13/18…

“ Yeah - Just learned that Coach Conklin’s father-in-law is EVP of Gibbs International. Wofford’s Stadium is named after Mr. Gibbs, who is, reportedly, Woffy’s 2nd largest donor (after Carolina Panthers’ soon-to-be-Former owner, Jerry Richardson).

With Coach Ayers not publicly (that I have seen) supporting Conklin’s hire & 5 or 6 fairly long-term Assistants pulling the Ejection seat lever within 2 weeks or so of the hiring announcement, I would be a bit antsy if I were a RatDog Fan. This whole situation just doesn’t seem to pass ‘the smell test’ to me, especially in light of Wofford Football’s history of stability & success. Also, if Conklin and the revamped staff don’t do well, the decision to make a change might be a rather difficult one to make considering his family ties to such deep black & gold-lined pockets.

Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe all of this is just part & parcel of “The Wofford Way” and it’s going to work out just great.

Stay tuned..”
 #56042  by fupaladin01
 Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:46 pm
So far I think it's clear the prognosticators in national FCS media have gotten a few things wrong when it comes to SoCon teams. My assessment based on 2 weeks of evidence considering quality of Ws and Ls:

1. UTC - beat a terrible FCS team (Woff) and beat a pretty decent FCS team (E. Ill)
2. Samford - beat a good FCS team (KSU) by 10, lost by 5 scores to a top 5 FBS(UGA)
3(T). Mercer - beat a bad FCS team by 50 (MoreheadSt) and lost by 4 scores to a mid-tier P5 (Auburn)
3(T) Furman - beat a D-2 by 50, lost by 3 scores to a top 5 FBS
4. The Citadel - lost to a pretty decent FCS (Campbell) by 3 scores, beat a pretty good FCS by a FG
5. WCU - beat a bad FCS (ChasSo) by 2 scores, lost to a below avg P5 (GT) by 3 scores
6. ETSU - beat a D2 by a lot, lost to a below avg FCS by a FG
7. VMI - Lost to a ranked P5 by 5 scores (Wake), beat a bad FCS (Bucknell) by 10
8. Wofford - Shut out by a good FCS (UTC) and a decent CAA (Elon)