Flagman wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:39 am
Roundball wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:05 pm
Paul C wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:57 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:24 am
#5 yes very difficult to read especially on the field. A program or roster card would have been nice. Looked everywhere and asked several peeps but no one had them. Do we have to bring our own next game? Hoping it was just a one time miscue.
Just pull up the roster on your phone. Easy enough.
Exactly. If you don’t want to have it on your phone, print it at home and bring it. Printing programs is a waste of good money.
It's not like Furman doesn't/hasn't wasted money. Note the flag fiasco, and 5 individual parking passes to every season ticket holder. A roster card would be easier that powering up the phone every time you want to check something.
Also agree about the unis. Almost impossible to read from the stands (especially up high).
Flag fiasco? What’s that about?

Rec’d the 5 individual parking passes last week and thought, “Hmmm, that seems a bit wasteful.” So…gotcha there….not familiar with a flag fiasco, but FUBeAR doesn’t have your chops in the flag game.
•AND THIS NOTE:
Using my IPhone to look at player rosters during game, I counted a total of about 9 (nine) players on Furman from SC high schools, and a total of about 90 (ninety) players on NGU from SC high schools.
81 more Players from SC for NGU
52 fewer points for NGU

Coincidence or nah?
No correlation whatsoever.
Just an interesting observation, in my opinion.
If I would have to state a point, and I do not even know that it's true, I would state this: good football players from SC high schools, public and private, generally do not like Furman, for some reason, and it is unfortunate for all concerned if that is true.
Yes I am sure all those great players much prefer N. Greenville, Limestone, PC, Wofford etc.
 #55633  by Flagman
 Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:39 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:56 am
Flagman wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Paul C wrote:
apaladin wrote:
#5 yes very difficult to read especially on the field. A program or roster card would have been nice. Looked everywhere and asked several peeps but no one had them. Do we have to bring our own next game? Hoping it was just a one time miscue.
Exactly. If you don’t want to have it on your phone, print it at home and bring it. Printing programs is a waste of good money.
It's not like Furman doesn't/hasn't wasted money. Note the flag fiasco, and 5 individual parking passes to every season ticket holder. A roster card would be easier that powering up the phone every time you want to check something.
Also agree about the unis. Almost impossible to read from the stands (especially up high).

Rec’d the 5 individual parking passes last week and thought, “Hmmm, that seems a bit wasteful.” So…gotcha there….not familiar with a flag fiasco, but FUBeAR doesn’t have your chops in the flag game.
Season ticket holders received a Furman Football flag. The reverse side was printed upside down. Hopefully, the manufacturer ate that mistake.
dornb liked this
 #55634  by Furmanoid
 Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:44 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:45 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:28 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:51 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:08 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Flagman wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Paul C wrote:
apaladin wrote:

•AND THIS NOTE:
Using my IPhone to look at player rosters during game, I counted a total of about 9 (nine) players on Furman from SC high schools, and a total of about 90 (ninety) players on NGU from SC high schools.
52 fewer points for NGU

Coincidence or nah?
If I would have to state a point, and I do not even know that it's true, I would state this: good football players from SC high schools, public and private, generally do not like Furman, for some reason, and it is unfortunate for all concerned if that is true.
Yes I am sure all those great players much prefer N. Greenville, Limestone, PC, Wofford etc.
Furman doesn’t necessarily want our great players. Very, very few of them are perceived as smart enough. We don’t have the big private or might as well be private schools they have in GA that produce FU type guys year after year. When recruiting, you can’t just focus on a few schools that produce FU type guys like we seem to do. Those guys are sprinkled (one here, one there) over a hundred schools in SC so it’s hard to find them.

Even the schools who don’t have academic issues seem to be almost lazy. I talked to a kid yesterday who’s got 400+ yds rushing and 5 td’s after 3 games and also plays defense. We are 4A but he had 144 and 2 td’s vs 5A Dorman with basically no offensive line. How do you look at that and decide he sucks? But that seems to be the verdict. The only teams interested are Anderson, Newberry, Rhinehart and Chas Southern. Recruiting is a mystery.
 #55635  by FUBeAR
 Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:00 pm
Thanks for the flag info. FUBeAR rec’d one of those flags, but assumed he was doing something wrong in the hanging process…and didn’t want to admit it.

FUBeAR always failed those standardized tests where you had to fold the boxes into certain shapes - think it was called Spatial Relations - FUBeAR always took a fat L in Spatial Relations!

Good to know it wasn’t FUBeAR’s lack of capacity in this (one) instance.
 #55643  by Affirm
 Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:21 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:45 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:28 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:51 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:08 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Flagman wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Paul C wrote:
apaladin wrote:

•AND THIS NOTE:
52 fewer points for NGU

Coincidence or nah?
Wrong.
Not NGU, Limestone, Newberry, Charleston Southern, PC, SC State, Benedict, Allen, Anderson, etc...
But I think they (Furman level student-athletes) may somehow prefer Wofford at least as much as they do Furman, for some reason. They may prefer numerous out-of-state FCS schools that are as good as but no better than Furman academically and athletically. I don't know.
It just seems that year in and year out, we have fewer SC players than it seems that we should have. Regardless where they come from, I am thankful for each and every one of our players. I just want more SC players to be able to experience Furman; and I just want Furman to be able to benefit from as many of them as possible.
 #55644  by Furmanoid
 Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:38 pm
Wofford is no longer hung up on the academic thing, so the population of SC players available for Wofford is much larger than the population available to FU. Good football players are very, very scarce in the AP classes of SC high schools. Coaches have to take initiative to sell these kids to colleges and they are mostly too lazy to do that.
 #55648  by Furman Sports Report
 Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:58 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:50 pm
When did Furman last beat any football opponent by 52 points?
If I am wrong, please correct. My quick perusal produced the following list:

52-0 over PC
58-0 over Wofford
(BTW, we tied CU and NCSU that season, and we shut out UofSC 12-0; we were 4-3-2 that year, 1-2-2 in the SoCon, and tied for 11th place in the SoCon))

69-0 over Piedmont

58-0 over Erskine
(BTW, we shut out both UofSC and CU that year)

53-0 over Wake Forest

63-0 over Erskine

67-6 over Erskine

63-0 over Newberry
62-0 over Wofford

69-0 over Wofford

60-3 over Erskine

60-0 over Erskine

59-0 over Bailey
65-0 over PC
Point, 64-7
mathprofhiker liked this
 #55649  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:06 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Wofford is no longer hung up on the academic thing, so the population of SC players available for Wofford is much larger than the population available to FU. Good football players are very, very scarce in the AP classes of SC high schools. Coaches have to take initiative to sell these kids to colleges and they are mostly too lazy to do that.
Wofford currently has 34 players from SC. Maybe that is why they are so bad? Just sayin’ Pretty sure none of us would trade rosters with them.
Davemeister liked this
 #55655  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:19 am
Furman is recruiting in-state players. I don't follow all of these offers and where they end up, but I see a frustrating trend. Some of these in-state players that Furman offers go with the FBS offer. Usually from mid-tier schools like MAC schools, Sun Belt Schools, or a team like Kansa or Minnesota. I'm afraid for many of the SC players, Furman doesn't have the cache that it does for Georiga, Tennessee, and Texas HS students.

OT Brody Balliew is a good example. Balliew plays for Commerce HS - which is around 100 miles from Furman. Had offers from the Academies, plus Sunbelt teams Coastal and GSU. Also, had offers from SoCon schools, CAA, and Ivies.

Find the DINS a 6-5 280 OT 4.0 GPA tackle in SC! Furman will be signing at least three linemen in this class. I can find other lineman offers in Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, and Texas. You have to go where your type of players are.
Affirm liked this
 #55657  by Affirm
 Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:59 am
apaladin wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Wofford currently has 34 players from SC. Maybe that is why they are so bad? Just sayin’ Pretty sure none of us would trade rosters with them.
They’ve have more players than us for a long time. They’ve not been worse than us for very long.
 #55658  by Affirm
 Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:03 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thanks for the flag info. FUBeAR rec’d one of those flags, but assumed he was doing something wrong in the hanging process…and didn’t want to admit it.

FUBeAR always failed those standardized tests where you had to fold the boxes into certain shapes - think it was called Spatial Relations - FUBeAR always took a fat L in Spatial Relations!

Flag (US) should be upside down only in dire distress. Hopefully Furman football won’t be in dire distress any time soon (other than 9/10/2022, when it seems very possible we may be close to or in dire distress).
 #55659  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:07 am
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
They’ve have more players than us for a long time. They’ve not been worse than us for very long.
I'm exactly sure why we're still debating this.

Wofford has a different mission than Furman. As a school, they focus far more on South Carolina. Furman has a more diverse geographic student body. The football team also reflects that.

I'm not sure our coaching staff would ignore an otherwise qualified player from South Carolina on the recruiting trail. Remember too that South Carolina has half the population of some of the neighboring states and twice the number of college football teams.

With the exception of the recent efforts to recruit Texas, Furman is recruiting a lot of the same places they've always recruited.
hypercycloid liked this
 #55661  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:39 am
affirm wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:03 am
FUBeAR wrote:

Flag (US) should be upside down only in dire distress. Hopefully Furman football won’t be in dire distress any time soon (other than 9/10/2022, when it seems very possible we may be close to or in dire distress).
In this case the flag could never be flown upside down because if you did the other side would be right side up. :lol:
 #55666  by Furmanoid
 Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:16 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:07 am
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
I'm exactly sure why we're still debating this.

Wofford has a different mission than Furman. As a school, they focus far more on South Carolina. Furman has a more diverse geographic student body. The football team also reflects that.

I'm not sure our coaching staff would ignore an otherwise qualified player from South Carolina on the recruiting trail. Remember too that South Carolina has half the population of some of the neighboring states and twice the number of college football teams.

With the exception of the recent efforts to recruit Texas, Furman is recruiting a lot of the same places they've always recruited.
Yes I think it’s a population size thing. The smart, good football player is rare. In a small pond like SC there just aren’t very many. In more populace states like Florida, GA and TX there are going to be more of them. And we don’t have much of a private school tradition like those other states, so there aren’t many sure fire spots where you can fish for smart athletes. In GA there seem to be schools that turn out multiple FU kinda guys every year. In SC a school will produce maybe one every 10 years or so. Very labor intensive to find these guys mixed in with the masses.
Affirm liked this