• Clay Hendrix Speaking

#54376  by Jasper
 Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:43 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:33 pm
FUBear- It was only an exhibition on the NGU schedule. It counted for FU. Be assured had if NG won it would have a major story not only in this area but far and wide. There would have been no mention of it being an exhibition. I would say very few were aware of the “exhibition” status at NG. Only way anyone would have known is to look at the NG schedule. So realistically you can’t use the “exhibition” as an excuse for the poor attendance. I stand by my observation of 19 and it may have been optimistic. I love your arithmetic!
I think apaladin is getting inside information attendance figures from his dear friend, ED.
apaladin liked this
 #54377  by Sad Din
 Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:49 pm
Div II National Baseball Champs -- after accomplishing something like that wouldnt be surpised if NGU thought they could compete with anyone... therefore big crowd at Paladin Stadium

They might leave after 1st qtr but they will show up
 #54378  by Affirm
 Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:51 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:17 am
NGU Avg Attendance in 2021, at Younts Stadium in Tigerville, 14 miles from no Paladin Stadium, was 2,976 / game.

Let’s use the ol’ 80/20 and hypothesize that 595 of those attendees for each game were fans of visiting teams.

Now, let’s apply the ol’ 80/20 again extrapolating that 1,905 fans of the Crusaders will make the 14 mile trip to Travelers Rest.

So, let’s see….

1,905 probably is more fans than any SoCon Team will bring to Paladin Stadium in 2022. The only exception could be if WCU comes in 6-0/3-0 with an FBS win over Georgia Tech and SoCon road wins over Samford & Mercer. FUBeAR could see the cantamounts bringing a host of hooligans to town looking for fresh ‘goalpost meat’ in that scenario. Even without the FBS win, they just might be able to motivate a large turnout if their fans think they are seriously in contention for their 1st-ever SoCon Football Championship in almost 50 years of futilely trying.

1,905 is NOT more fans than Furman will have in Paladin Stadium on that Thursday night. Attendance numbers for Mercer and Furman were not too dissimilar last season and Mercer had 8,727 for their Thursday night home opener versus a sub-D1 Team. The Team responsible for putting people into the stadium @ FU now-a-days will get it done - the crowd will be nice-sized and a great time will be had by all!
OK.
“Shot down” (impressively) by FUBeAR.
That may be no worse than MU being defeated by Alabama, or FU by CU.
Glad to see that it’s possible NGU may bring 1,900+ and that 8,000+ Furman fans may show. 9,900+ total for that game would be great.
I hope it breaks 10,000.
And I hope Wofford, WCU, Samford, and Chattanooga would each bring in 1,900+ to Paladin Stadium this year, with at least (hopefully far more than) 8,000 FU fans attending each of those games.
 #54387  by The Jackal
 Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:50 am
I expect the athletics administration wouldn't play on Thursday if they didn't believe there was a benefit to playing on Thursday.
 #54424  by Flagman
 Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:24 pm
Still not convinced.
apaladin liked this
 #54427  by The Jackal
 Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:42 am
To me, this just isn't that big of an issue.

If Furman is going to play North Greenville, you might as well play on Thursday and have the night to yourself. While a lot of the SoCon is playing that day, a lot of the major must-see-tv football is not.

At bottom, though, we don't know if this is a good idea unless we try it. Personally, Furman suffered from decades of "let's do it the way we've always done it" and it hurt the program. Maybe it's a terrible idea to play on Thursday, but you won't know until you do it.
 #54428  by The Jackal
 Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:44 am
As an aside, I had not realized Clemson is playing Monday night in that first big week.

So, Furman plays two days earlier, Clemson plays two days later. I'm not sure how good Clemson is supposed to be, but they'll be facing Furman on Saturday after a night road game on Monday.
paladinfan12 liked this
 #54429  by AstroDin
 Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:51 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:44 am
As an aside, I had not realized Clemson is playing Monday night in that first big week.

So, Furman plays two days earlier, Clemson plays two days later. I'm not sure how good Clemson is supposed to be, but they'll be facing Furman on Saturday after a night road game on Monday.
Also Clemson is installing a new offense…
 #54430  by cavedweller2
 Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:45 am
Saturday game on Labor Day weekend may not draw well at all. Thursday night people come to the game and head to the beach in the a.m.
 #54432  by apaladin
 Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:52 am
I will be there, lets just give it a try and see what happens attendance wise.
Last edited by apaladin on Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #54438  by Davemeister
 Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:57 pm
A Furman victory is what I expect to happen. Don't want to consider anything otherwise.