• 2 MONTHS FROM TODAY

#54241  by apaladin
 Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:22 pm
We will have college football. First Saturday is August 27. Paladins open 5 days later. :D
 #54244  by AstroDin
 Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:28 am
There is a lot to be excited about this season — we're finally a very balanced team of veterans and talented youth.
I'm also excited to see what a new crop of assistant coaches means to performance on the field.

I think we had kinda gotten into a stagnate place on offense, with Quarles and then Bratton leaving it's now Justin Roper's show. Add to that Cutch and Dudzik and this should be a different offensive performance we see on the field.

My hunch or call it my guess — the sleeper addition that could have a lot of impact on the field in 2022 is Coach Spangler. What I saw in the spring practices and scrimmages I got to attend was an engaged, hustling position group.
apaladin, Purple rain, dornb liked this
 #54245  by The Jackal
 Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:38 am
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:28 am
There is a lot to be excited about this season — we're finally a very balanced team of veterans and talented youth.
I'm also excited to see what a new crop of assistant coaches means to performance on the field.

I think we had kinda gotten into a stagnate place on offense, with Quarles and then Bratton leaving it's now Justin Roper's show. Add to that Cutch and Dudzik and this should be a different offensive performance we see on the field.

My hunch or call it my guess — the sleeper addition that could have a lot of impact on the field in 2022 is Coach Spangler. What I saw in the spring practices and scrimmages I got to attend was an engaged, hustling position group.

I think a mixup with the coaching staff wasn't the worst thing for Furman.

The defensive staff was a good mix of younger guys, many of whom did not have Furman connections. The defense seemed to get better every year.

The offensive staff was older with more long-term ties to Furman. The offense sort of seemed to spin its wheels for much of the past few years.

That's not all on the coaches, of course. It's not easy when you seem to always be playing a freshman quarterback.

The new staff looks like a good mix. They will have youth and depth just about everywhere. This is a season Furman really needs to start looking like it's taking a step forward, especially on offense.
apaladin, Purple rain, dornb and 1 others liked this