• QB Battle

#49644  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:57 am
Jace Wilson vs. Tyler Huff

This is going to be an intense battle for the starting QB spot, I have know idea how its going to play out but hoping it will be a healthy competition and our new OC will be able to bring the best out in both of them during the battle for the starting spot!

(Assuming we will look to redshirt Carson Jones)
 #49650  by apaladin
 Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:10 pm
I’m hoping CJ is in the mix. Jace needs to be pushed.
 #49671  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:16 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:10 pm
I’m hoping CJ is in the mix. Jace needs to be pushed.
Sure all 3 will get a chance in preseason to prove themselves, hopefully one is ready to lead us atop the socon
AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #52589  by The Jackal
 Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:50 pm
The competition will be good for all of them.

Wilson certainly has the inside edge, I would think. He played a lot last season and has essentially been the guy this spring.

Huff looks talented. He played a lot in a similar system for PC under Spangler, but then didn't see the field much with their regime change into a different offensive system.

I'm glad to see us with a QB room with some depth and talent and the possibility of allowing a freshman QB to develop before throwing him in to start games.
DeepPurple liked this
 #52593  by FurmanATT
 Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:58 pm
By virtue of covering a lot of PC football, I have seen a lot of Tyler Huff.
He is a fine scrambler and the quality of his arm is impressive for a player at PC, which doesn't offer football scholarships.
Huff never had a chance under Kevin Kelley, who had it in his mind before practice even started that Ren Hefley was his man. Kelley told me that Huff was a fine quarterback but couldn't play in his system because he ran for his life and his quarterback wasn't ever going to have to do that.
I swear he said that. I have high hopes for Tyler, but I have high hopes for Jace, too.
 #52599  by FUBeAR
 Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:10 pm
FurmanATT wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:58 pm
By virtue of covering a lot of PC football, I have seen a lot of Tyler Huff.
He is a fine scrambler and the quality of his arm is impressive for a player at PC, which doesn't offer football scholarships.
Huff never had a chance under Kevin Kelley, who had it in his mind before practice even started that Ren Hefley was his man. Kelley told me that Huff was a fine quarterback but couldn't play in his system because he ran for his life and his quarterback wasn't ever going to have to do that.
I swear he said that. I have high hopes for Tyler, but I have high hopes for Jace, too.
MD, Was wondering about your thoughts on Mr. Huff.

FUBeAR tuned into the Morehead @ PC game in Spring of ‘21 and was immediately very impressed with Huff. Saw those things you mentioned as well as leadership & fearlessness. Even texted the parent of a former PC Player asking if he knew how the Blue Ho’s had landed that kid.

FU’s QB play in 2022 (and maybe 2023) will be better because of Huff joining the program…even if he never plays a down in a game. With Wilson, Huff, and the FR (Jones?) FU’s QB cadre appears to be in great shape moving forward…
FurmanATT, DeepPurple, JohnKX512 and 1 others liked this
 #52853  by gofurman
 Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:33 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:50 pm
The competition will be good for all of them.

Wilson certainly has the inside edge, I would think. He played a lot last season and has essentially been the guy this spring.

Huff looks talented. He played a lot in a similar system for PC under Spangler, but then didn't see the field much with their regime change into a different offensive system.

I'm glad to see us with a QB room with some depth and talent and the possibility of allowing a freshman QB to develop before throwing him in to start games.
Right. Competition and depth we have sorely missed. No one should deny. Depth especially needed if your qb is gonna run and get hit!!!!

That said I hope it’s Wilson or Huff. I want the freshman Jones to redshirt. We need to get back to having redshirt sophomore or red junior start. No more true or even redshirt Fr starting at qb