• What is the best conference for Furman Football? - Sun Belt?

#52686  by palafan
 Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:16 pm
The idea of the Sun Belt is ridiculous.

All of these schools have a student body population of 8k - 35k. We can't compete with them in recruiting financially or academically with our academic requirements. We'd also never have a chance to compete in football playoffs or play in a national championship game.
Flagman, Paladin82, dornb and 3 others liked this
 #52716  by FUBeAR
 Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:05 pm
Flagman wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:25 pm
Nobody has given any good reason for Furman to look elsewhere for a conference affiliation. Can we DELETE the thread?
FYP
 #52724  by Roundball
 Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:49 am
The SoCon is probably the best conference for Furman sports, because of basketball. However, I wish the conference had better leadership that could think ahead and add a couple of good teams. It seems as though the conference knows basketball is the money maker and is putting football on the back burner.
 #52725  by Affirm
 Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:07 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:36 pm
affirm wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:16 pm
we must guard against … delusions of grandeur
Disagree - don’t think it’s “delusions of grandeur” at all. FUBeAR feels strongly that our Furman Basketball program WILL make it to the NCAA Tournament next season. Post-season success is nigh for this hoops squad!
Oh come on.
Of course you know that the reference “delusions of grandeur” in the original post and In my response to it were both to FOOTBALL not basketball. Delusions of football grandeur is a reason for “not even ever talking about considering” Pioneer Football League. Actual football grandeur might return to Furman the next time we finish a football season and postseason in the top 4 or at worst in the top 8 of FCS, and not before that. (Not merely a SoCon championship or co-championship or 2nd place.). When is that (top 4, top 8 at worst) ever going to happen? Please tell me. I think probably never.
Basketball grandeur, being in the top 30% of ALL Division 1 schools in the nation, actually IS here right now.
When were we last (ever?) in the top 30% of ALL Division 1 football schools in the nation? Please tell me that too. I that probably never on that too.
 #52743  by FUBeAR
 Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:31 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:37 am
It's a shame the NCAA & NIT selection committees did not agree with your assessment of Furman's Basketball Grandeur. Maybe next year.
Hopefully so.

FUBeAR is confident that next year will be the 1st year since 1980 that FU Hoops WILL get it done and make the NCAA Playoffs.

Sure, FUBeAR is proud of the 18 seasons the Football Paladins have made the NCAA Playoffs during that time frame, including 3 appearances in the National Championship Game, and of course winning an NCAA Football National Championship; but as a Furman Athletics Fan, FUBeAR cannot be satisfied until the Basketball ‘Dins are all that way back and competing in the Big Dance with similar regularity. Next year is the 1st year of that consistent return to glory for our Hoops squad. FUBeAR just KNOWS it!!
Davemeister liked this
 #52748  by tim
 Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:58 pm
affirm wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:07 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:36 pm
affirm wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:16 pm
we must guard against … delusions of grandeur
Disagree - don’t think it’s “delusions of grandeur” at all. FUBeAR feels strongly that our Furman Basketball program WILL make it to the NCAA Tournament next season. Post-season success is nigh for this hoops squad!
Oh come on.
Of course you know that the reference “delusions of grandeur” in the original post and In my response to it were both to FOOTBALL not basketball. Delusions of football grandeur is a reason for “not even ever talking about considering” Pioneer Football League. Actual football grandeur might return to Furman the next time we finish a football season and postseason in the top 4 or at worst in the top 8 of FCS, and not before that. (Not merely a SoCon championship or co-championship or 2nd place.). When is that (top 4, top 8 at worst) ever going to happen? Please tell me. I think probably never.
Basketball grandeur, being in the top 30% of ALL Division 1 schools in the nation, actually IS here right now.
When were we last (ever?) in the top 30% of ALL Division 1 football schools in the nation? Please tell me that too. I that probably never on that too.
Never you say??? I will hold on to this post and it's going right up your backside, maybe as soon as next football season.
FurmAlum liked this
 #52831  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:53 am
palafan wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:40 am
Better idea would be to add schools like Richmond, W&M etc. to the SoCon.
Adding Richmond and W&M
So 11 hoops teams and 11 football teams (Richmond football only, UNCG basketball only)

I would take it as I would like to have rivalries with those two schools, but not sure it really moves the needle of the SoCon up much at all for either sport
 #52840  by Furmanoid
 Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:05 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:53 am
palafan wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:40 am
Better idea would be to add schools like Richmond, W&M etc. to the SoCon.
Adding Richmond and W&M
So 11 hoops teams and 11 football teams (Richmond football only, UNCG basketball only)

I would take it as I would like to have rivalries with those two schools, but not sure it really moves the needle of the SoCon up much at all for either sport
Might not move the needle, but if you’re gonna be in a so so conference, it would at least boost the pride a little to be in a smart kid conference.