• NSD Feb 2

#51006  by The Jackal
 Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:52 pm
gofurman wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:29 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:17 am
I'm not sure - I believe CCH did say they left a few slots open to fill.

Fast Forward with a new OC coach having some open slots to fill with a few offensive players can help jump-start what Roper and Bratton want to do.

Ferguson WR — COMMITTED
Harris WR — OFFER (I hope we've got a great shot of landing Harris)

I have no idea which school Bennett will choose. He's an explosive athlete and I don't blame him if he feels he deserves an FBS shot. Would be a versatile weapon for the DINS.
Reggion Bennett ATH — OFFERED (19 offers, de-commit from Buffalo, teammate of Tre McLeod)

WIldcard to keep in mind. Furman also brought in a young, highly-successful OL coach with his own recruiting connections. Coach Cutch! Cutch is followed by some very interesting players not sure if Furman has offered any.
So I am to assume the top FBS ' guy Bennett did choose to go elsewhere? EDIT - looks like he chose the Gamecocks... the JSU Gamecocks. Boo...

I still think we need a little more speed at WR. Look what Harris did for us ! We need two of those. We had that with Bratton and Ike West - what a tandem. Now that is recruiting. I think the optimum is two flat-out burners and one 'catch everything that is thrown his way' guy (like a Ryan DeLuca). That is hard to stop. WIth the loss of DeLuca we have Harris as a burner and need at least Two others to step up - one speedster and one 'DeLuca' !

Anyway, so glad Blackshear and Sochovoka returned.. those are HUGE

Still, My main concerns are PASS RUSH and WR. I think it's clear we have lost more on DL than we gained. that was one of our best DL in a good while last year. Well, and we really need a more consistent running game of some sort to take pressure off everyone. Whether it be the RB or Jace keeping the ball or someone. We need to average about 4 yards per run. That will win a lot of games. I think we averaged about 2 yards per rush in a lot of games last year.. that just will NOT cut it. Put a hat on a hat and knock them off the ball !! Great to hear about WRs but I wouldn't mind if we never threw the ball ever... JUST WIN. Run it every time for 5 yards and keep their O on the sideline
1. We have speed at WR. A number of our group were high school track stars. Even our TE is one of the fastest players on the field.

Speed is great, but it's just part of the equation. A lot of success at WR is getting the ball out on time and on target, which we've struggled to do.

2. We did have some losses along the DL and EDGE, but I think we'll be fine for a few reasons.

First, we rotate A LOT of players on defense, especially up front. That has built a good bit of depth, but also made it so the loss of any single player at any position isn't necessarily crippling. So, yes, we've lost some bodies but also return a lot of experienced players.

Second, our defensive backfield, at least on paper, looks like it could be the best we've had in a long time. Last season we played without several key defensive backs for long stretches of the season. With all of those guys healthy, we're going to have a lot of depth there and that will allow our defense to really match up with teams on third downs.

One of the best ways to help a pass rush is to not have anywhere to throw the ball.
 #51050  by gofurman
 Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:40 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:52 pm
gofurman wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:29 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:17 am
I'm not sure - I believe CCH did say they left a few slots open to fill.

Fast Forward with a new OC coach having some open slots to fill with a few offensive players can help jump-start what Roper and Bratton want to do.

Ferguson WR — COMMITTED
Harris WR — OFFER (I hope we've got a great shot of landing Harris)

I have no idea which school Bennett will choose. He's an explosive athlete and I don't blame him if he feels he deserves an FBS shot. Would be a versatile weapon for the DINS.
Reggion Bennett ATH — OFFERED (19 offers, de-commit from Buffalo, teammate of Tre McLeod)

WIldcard to keep in mind. Furman also brought in a young, highly-successful OL coach with his own recruiting connections. Coach Cutch! Cutch is followed by some very interesting players not sure if Furman has offered any.
So I am to assume the top FBS ' guy Bennett did choose to go elsewhere? EDIT - looks like he chose the Gamecocks... the JSU Gamecocks. Boo...

I still think we need a little more speed at WR. Look what Harris did for us ! We need two of those. We had that with Bratton and Ike West - what a tandem. Now that is recruiting. I think the optimum is two flat-out burners and one 'catch everything that is thrown his way' guy (like a Ryan DeLuca). That is hard to stop. WIth the loss of DeLuca we have Harris as a burner and need at least Two others to step up - one speedster and one 'DeLuca' !

Anyway, so glad Blackshear and Sochovoka returned.. those are HUGE

Still, My main concerns are PASS RUSH and WR. I think it's clear we have lost more on DL than we gained. that was one of our best DL in a good while last year. Well, and we really need a more consistent running game of some sort to take pressure off everyone. Whether it be the RB or Jace keeping the ball or someone. We need to average about 4 yards per run. That will win a lot of games. I think we averaged about 2 yards per rush in a lot of games last year.. that just will NOT cut it. Put a hat on a hat and knock them off the ball !! Great to hear about WRs but I wouldn't mind if we never threw the ball ever... JUST WIN. Run it every time for 5 yards and keep their O on the sideline
1. We have speed at WR. A number of our group were high school track stars. Even our TE is one of the fastest players on the field.

Speed is great, but it's just part of the equation. A lot of success at WR is getting the ball out on time and on target, which we've struggled to do.

2. We did have some losses along the DL and EDGE, but I think we'll be fine for a few reasons.

First, we rotate A LOT of players on defense, especially up front. That has built a good bit of depth, but also made it so the loss of any single player at any position isn't necessarily crippling. So, yes, we've lost some bodies but also return a lot of experienced players.

Second, our defensive backfield, at least on paper, looks like it could be the best we've had in a long time. Last season we played without several key defensive backs for long stretches of the season. With all of those guys healthy, we're going to have a lot of depth there and that will allow our defense to really match up with teams on third downs.

One of the best ways to help a pass rush is to not have anywhere to throw the ball.
Hope so. Because we definitely struggle to stop third downs. Have a bad habit of giving up third and long.

Furman has tendencies - among these are these two
Positive. Great kickers !
But a big Negative. Allowing third and long. It’s maddening. I would almost rather us have an opponent at third and three than third and seven
 #51059  by AstroDin
 Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:25 am
Clay addressed the third-down woes in his interview video—by the way this really has little to do with NSD.
But—I would also not overlook a major addition on defense-related to third-down and the trend of the SoCon with more teams opening up offenses— Coach Spangler.
 #51060  by The Jackal
 Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:38 am
AstroDin wrote:
Clay addressed the third-down woes in his interview video—by the way this really has little to do with NSD.
But—I would also not overlook a major addition on defense-related to third-down and the trend of the SoCon with more teams opening up offenses— Coach Spangler.

I also think that you'll see the impact of a healthy Yates and Chizik on third downs/passing situations.

Furman should be able to throw 3 or 4 CBs at an offense on passing downs this season if needed.
AstroDin liked this
 #51188  by gofurman
 Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:43 am
AstroDin wrote:
Astro you are right. My post has little to do with NSD. well played
 #51558  by AstroDin
 Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:04 pm
added another commit… impressive young man from what I've read.

dornb liked this
 #51560  by The Jackal
 Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:52 pm
Check out the first of those two videos.

The player (Gummer, I assume) is shown in a black and purple Furman uniform.

I’m not sure that’s an interesting photo shop job or a teaser.
 #51570  by AstroDin
 Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:31 am
The Jackal wrote:

I’m not sure that’s an interesting photoshop job or a teaser.
I saw it when I posted… and wondered if this was a fancy edit done by the poster (hired someone) or was this an edit done by Furman's graphics person? If it is a real uniform I love this version of a black uniform the angled stripes off the shoulder and on the side of the pants are nice touches.

Not sure if it will happen — but I'm waiting to see a purple helmet — I had a player parent mention one a while back.
 #51613  by The Jackal
 Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:12 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:31 am
The Jackal wrote:

I’m not sure that’s an interesting photoshop job or a teaser.
I saw it when I posted… and wondered if this was a fancy edit done by the poster (hired someone) or was this an edit done by Furman's graphics person? If it is a real uniform I love this version of a black uniform the angled stripes off the shoulder and on the side of the pants are nice touches.

Not sure if it will happen — but I'm waiting to see a purple helmet — I had a player parent mention one a while back.

The commitment graphic is similar to other Furman commit graphics with the electric outlined F. I think there are other schools that have a similar look, so it might just be an outside company that does them. I have no idea.

I just found it unique that someone, perhaps randomly, took the time to come up with a Furman uniform look that has not heretofore existed. Honestly, it's a good looking uniform.