• Bad luck beats good defense

#5086  by Jasper
 Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:28 pm
Up until the nightmare in the middle of the 3rd period, I thought the Furman pass defense played its best game of the year by far. Hodges is a great passer and his receivers are excellent. To hold them to 10 points midway thru that period was fantastic. After a great interception by the D, it looked like Furman was ready to add to its 19-10 lead when the offense imploded on its first play of the possession, a fumble / pitch bounced right into the hands of a Samford defender who rambled untouched for a TD and the whole game changed. They scored 21 straight points and we did not have the capacity to answer after our first bad break of the day - the loss of Harris Roberts. As we saw earlier in the year, our offense simply does not work without him. I cant fault the defense for breaking under those circumstances.

I suppose play off hopes are realistically over. Roberts is likely out with a concussion. I guess we need to find out if any of the three freshman QB's have the capacity to develop into players who can lead the team going forward. We still have a potentially lethal offense with some really fine RB's and receivers and our O line is getter better by the game. Up until the critical point, the FU defense played a very good game We are young on both sides of the ball and can use the final 4 games to build for the future. I think there is a great deal to build upon and good reason to be optimistic going forward. After last year, we had every reason to be positive about this season but were hurt very badly by the injuries to one critical player. That's just lousy luck. s**t happens! Let's win out and go into the offseason with a positive feeling.
Last edited by Jasper on Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paladawg, dornb, furman88 and 1 others liked this
 #5092  by purplehorse
 Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:07 pm
Season over. Bad pitch and fumble at 25 by Grainger. Go up 26-10 and we maybe win. Need to find a QB for next year. This season boiled down to one glorious Saturday-beating Wofford for the sake of beating them. I still support Clay Hendrix and hope we can make the playoffs next year. There is still work to be done. Close this year but no cigar.