• Transfers

#48911  by apaladin
 Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:25 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:14 am
Stetson Bennett. A walk-on. Nobody believed in him. Nobody wanted him. But he believed in himself, and so did his coach and his teammmates. And now he will be remembered in Georgia football QB immortality.

Maybe some of these players that want to transfer every time something doesn't go their way ought to take notice?

He worked while he waited. And now he is a National Champion.
Yep, only had 3 offers coming out of hs. Walked on to uga then transeferred to a juco, then returned to uga on schollie. A long journey. Prolly doesn’t have much of a shot at a pro career but just goes to show you, you don’t have to have a future hof qb to win a championship.
 #48913  by The Jackal
 Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:21 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:25 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Stetson Bennett. A walk-on. Nobody believed in him. Nobody wanted him. But he believed in himself, and so did his coach and his teammmates. And now he will be remembered in Georgia football QB immortality.

Maybe some of these players that want to transfer every time something doesn't go their way ought to take notice?

Yep, only had 3 offers coming out of hs. Walked on to uga then transeferred to a juco, then returned to uga on schollie. A long journey. Prolly doesn’t have much of a shot at a pro career but just goes to show you, you don’t have to have a future hof qb to win a championship.

Not only that, but UGA actively recruited over him. UGA brought in several highly-regarded transfers with Bennett on the roster and consistently signed 4 or 5 star QBs from the high school ranks.

I know a lot of UGA fans and alums. Even yesterday many of them were still iffy about whether Bennett should be the QB. I guess that's why the coaches are there and we are here.
apaladin, FurmAlum liked this
 #48936  by tim
 Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:19 am
FurmAlum wrote:

Lets Go, FurmAlum !
 #49521  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:51 am

+ 1,411 D2 Players = 4,709

…gonna be a lot of “homeless” (or “unhoused” to use the newer, wokier vernacular) former college Football Players looking for “shelter” this Fall.

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
 #49523  by gman84
 Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:17 pm
I need some more portal education. If a player enters the portal...has he automatically relinquished his scholarship with his current school?
 #49524  by apaladin
 Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:42 pm
gman84 wrote:
I need some more portal education. If a player enters the portal...has he automatically relinquished his scholarship with his current school?
Don’t think so. Blackshear entered then returned.
gman84 liked this
 #49526  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:59 pm
gman84 wrote:
Schollies are 1 year renewable agreements. Up to the Team/Coach how they handle renewing schollies for Players who enter portal. FUBeAR believes most programs are handling on a case-by-case basis (as they should) rather than establishing an inflexible ‘policy.’
gman84, apaladin liked this
 #49564  by Jasper
 Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:56 pm
I was told today that Adrian Hope graduated in Dec. and is at Coastal Carolina already. They offer a graduate degree in Computer Sciences and play the same defensive scheme that FU does. Perfect fit for a good kid who wants an advanced degree. Will be interesting to see how he does at that level.
 #49578  by FUBeAR
 Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:26 am

Reckon why those ‘at the highest level’ are the most transient?
 #49608  by Davemeister
 Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:57 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:59 pm
gman84 wrote:
Schollies are 1 year renewable agreements. Up to the Team/Coach how they handle renewing schollies for Players who enter portal. FUBeAR believes most programs are handling on a case-by-case basis (as they should) rather than establishing an inflexible ‘policy.’

Nice & correct: case-by-case. In the case of Blackshear, a slam-dunk because we can certainly use him. In other cases, "Sorry, Charlie."
 #49613  by DeepPurple
 Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:12 pm
Pretty sure when you enter the portal, that school you are possibly leaving, it is totally up to them if you want to return. There is no obligation.