• Its not always the coach

#48399  by apaladin
 Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:43 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:34 am
I don't believe you are breaking ground in showing that offenses do better against weaker defensive teams.
It’s not just better, in FU’s case it is HUGE difference.
 #48403  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:34 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:43 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:34 am
I don't believe you are breaking ground in showing that offenses do better against weaker defensive teams.
It’s not just better, in FU’s case it is HUGE difference.
I guess, so what?

Furman struggled to score on UTC. So did everyone else. Is it indictment of George Quarles that a freshman QB with a few college games under his belt struggled to move the ball against a defense that nearly every team struggled to score against?

I just think it's myopic to complain about the coaches, but also ignore the improvement in our freshman QB, the modifications to the offense to accommodate for the emergence of Dominic Roberto, and the massive swing in production.

I realize in doing so, you can never be wrong - if the offense sucks, it's the coaches and players. If the offense looks good, it's a weak opponent. It couldn't possibly be that there was marked improvement over the course of a season. That would be giving credit to the coaches, which of course, is not permitted.
76MrMoto liked this
 #48452  by Afurmanfan
 Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:12 am
Clemson’s offensive line struggled this year. Did Robbie- admittedly a former teammate and good friend- suddenly forget how to teach kids to block?
My point with the analogies of Coaches Johnson, Spurrier, and Caldwell is simple- you can have a season or two where a combination of factors can make you look bad. Especially if the problem position is QB- just look at the difference in Clemson this year and the last 6 or 7 years. But year after year of problems- it’s the coaches.
FurmAlum liked this
 #48454  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:31 am
Afurmanfan wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:12 am
Clemson’s offensive line struggled this year. Did Robbie- admittedly a former teammate and good friend- suddenly forget how to teach kids to block?
My point with the analogies of Coaches Johnson, Spurrier, and Caldwell is simple- you can have a season or two where a combination of factors can make you look bad. Especially if the problem position is QB- just look at the difference in Clemson this year and the last 6 or 7 years. But year after year of problems- it’s the coaches.

It's simply a combination of recency and confirmation bias.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar TV

by Afurmanfan

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:36 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:28 pm

Default Avatar Other teams on schedule - upcoming scouting

by gofurman

Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:05 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:22 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.